Swapping antlers?

Silentstalker

Long Time Member
So,

Due to a small vaulted cieling, i only have room in my home for 1 bull elk. I had a small 6 point mounted about 13 years ago. I have since shot much better bulls. Is it possible to swap the antlers from my older mount with antlers from a bigger bull? If so what would the draw backs be? What do you think it would cost to do it?

Years ago I found a really nice buck that had been dead for about a week. I later shot a decent buck that had a really nice hide and face. The antlers weren't too bad either, but not as big as the one I found. I decided to mount the "found" antlers on the buck I shot. I've been somewhat sorry ever since. It looks great, but every time someone makes a comment about it, I feel the need to explain what I did. It's no big deal, but I just can't leave people thinking I shot that deer with those horns. In your case, you shot both, so maybe it's no big deal. I suspect it is possible, but you might just think about putting them on a plaque. Those can be hung on the wall without taking so much space. I even mounted one right on the floor, with the rack surrounding my stove. It serves as a safety fence of sorts for the grandkids, so they don't get burned. Figure out a way to display all of them. What good are they if you can't show them off?

I think it could be done, just a matter of how good it would look. First, you would want the pedicals/bases to be similar sized. If they aren't, it's going to be harder to match with the existing hide. Also, the size of the bull you originally mounted might not look mature enough with the new bigger horns.

A big factor is how the old mount was put together and if it can be taken apart or if it will be destroyed when taking apart. I would just suggest getting your new elk mounted fresh and finding a place for your other bull.

i think it can be done....i would cut the horns off at the base and install a pin and then do the same with the new horns and put the female part of the deal in that horn....much the same as if you were to have made them removable in the 1st place.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

I've swapped antlers on mounts plenty of times. The biggest factor is the tanned cape and if it will hold up to being re-hydrated, and re-sewed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom