Swaro EL Range?

Mallards_Only

Anybody own a pair? Never thought I would consider going this route but lately I see the potential benefit of having a rangefinder built into my binocs. For those that own a pair, how do you like them? Do they have angle-compensation? How ergonomic is the button for the rangefinder? Can you use the binocs/RF with one hand? Looking for honest reviews.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-13 AT 08:11AM (MST)[p]I've had the original Leica Geovids, Zeiss Victory RFs, and these. I like the Swaros the best. They do have angle compensation, button is on the left side which can be an issue for bowhunters. Zeiss is on the right side as well as the new Leica Geovid HD B. Yardage on Swaros is 33 yards at minimum which can also be an issue for bowhunters but not me. Ergonomics is good. They are pretty light, mine are 10x42. Had them for a couple years. The bumps on the bottom really are not noticeable. Very clear and easy to use. I would not go back to the Leicas, even the new ones or the Zeiss. Just my 2 cents.

I think you can if your hands are big enough.. I have only used the EL range rifle hunting, I wish I would have brought it on my last archery hunt though.. (long story)

And that's my dilemma with this purchase. I generally hold my bow in my left hand and use my binocs/RF with my right but when rifle hunting, I do just the opposite. I'm not really sure I like having a RF with a minimum ranging distance of 33 yds either.

My current set up is a Nikon archers choice for archery hunting with a set of 8x32 EL's around my neck. I share the 10x42 EL range with another hunting partner (he hunts a different state, so it works well) I'll may end up just getting my own set this year. I am just getting back into rifle hunting after about a 5 year hiatus. Although, may just get a leica 1600 rf and keep my 8's 15's and STX though. I really want a new set of the 15 x 56 HD's, so that may be the optic upgrade I do this year instead.

If my wife knew what my optics collection cost me she would probably get that new car I told her she can't have.

Fatrascal, is their a 12 step program for optics junkies?

I had a pair of the 8x42's. I really liked them. Glass wasn't as good as the Swarovisions that I sold to help purchase them, but they were still good. The rangefinder was really good. Got readings out past 2,000 yards and inside of that rarely had problems getting readings.

I ended up selling them and went with the Leica Geovid HD just so I could have some more spending money at the time. All and all the glass is the same to me, but the rangefinder isn't as good (doesn't range as far and more non-readings), but I can still get readings to 1,300-1,400 yards. I didn't like the eyecups as much compared to the EL's but I have since gotten use to them.

I don't know that I would ever go back to not having a LRF bino now, however my eyes do miss the Swarovision glass. Most people have hit the other points of the EL range. If money weren't an issue to me I would go the EL route again, in large part due to a more reliable warranty. There was a good deal on a pair in the classifieds.

Anyone ever compaere the El Range's to the new Leica HD-B's

Stay thirsty my friends

I didn't like the bumps on the swaros when hiking with a tee shirt or that the button was on the left side. Look at the new leica 1600rf using a retractable tether for quick access.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom