swaro z5 with turret

bodhi

considering this scope. any thoughts on the repeatability/accuracy with the turret system and swaro's ballistic calculator? Also, What are your thoughts sighting in at my elevation of 1200 ft. and then hunting at say, 6K feet? I realize the math works on paper but looking for some boots on the ground experiences.

thanks,
B

I have this scope, the one I have has the different colored rings. So it can be set for four distances. It seems to do okay as far as repeatability. I think I am at 100, 200, 300 and 400yds. For in between distances it has graduations but doesn't have numbers. So you might not call this a true ballistic turret. I call it Ballistic Turrets for dummies, not very complicated.

I don't know about Swaro's ballistic calculator but the information that came with mine about sighting in at 100yds and moving so many graduations to set the rings at other distances wasn't correct.

I don't know if that's the one you are looking at or not.

I have never had any issues sighting in at 2,500 ft and hunting at 7,000 to 9,000. Never saw anyone else have any issues either.

I should be at 200, 300, 400 and 500 but I had a good 100yd range to start on and I don't have a 500yd range.

I do like the scope, it's pretty simple. To shoot out to 500 yards I don't need ballistics charts or ballistics calculators. I just need to remember three numbers.

I am mostly just using three of the pre set rings, 200, 300 and 400.

350 yd shot, use 300 yd ring and hold over 4 inches

450 yd shot, use 400 yd ring and hold over 6 inches

500 yd shot, use 400 yd ring and hold over 14 inches.

I don't really plan to shoot any farther than that.

If I would change the settings to 200, 300, 400 and 500 I would only need to remember two numbers.

I like mine and agree with the above. It’s a great scope for those of us who don’t shoot ultra long range. Very simple and intuitive. Mine stays consistent as you change settings no problem. Their ballistics calculator has been pretty close also but not exact. Which is not a problem.

Altitude will change POI. When I am going to the mountains I usually sight my rifle in an inch lower than normal. I then shoot and adjust upon arrival. Again, usually pretty close.

I have the z6 just ordered a turret since the colored rings were only getting me out to 350 but other then that no complaints will see how my math works when the turret gets here in a few days. ?

Since the original poster asked about the Swarovski ballistics calculator I went back to see how the calculator compared to the actual.

So this is the number clicks for the different distances

Distance Swaro calculator Actual

100 yds Sight in distance
200 yds 6 9
300 yds 8 8
400 yds 10 11

These are number of clicks from the previous setting.

This is for a 300 WSM Federal 180 gr Trophy Copper At 3,000 ft elevation.

It's fairly close but not exact. But these errors are cumulative. If you sighted in at at 100yds and only used this you would be off 4 inches at 400 yards.

I have the Z5 i believe its 6-25x54. Im dead on at 200 yards @ 700' elevation with a 200 gr Partition out of a 300 Winny. I shot at about a 10" rock out west ( no elkys:( ) at 400 yards at 7500'. Dialed to 350 and hit just a smidge high of dead center on it. Very impressed with the scope but I dont need x25 for hunting. Probably swap for a 3.5-18 in the Z5.

I have the Z5 i believe its 6-25x54. Im dead on at 200 yards @ 700' elevation with a 200 gr Partition out of a 300 Winny. I shot at about a 10" rock out west ( no elkys:( ) at 400 yards at 7500'. Dialed to 350 and hit just a smidge high of dead center on it. Very impressed with the scope but I dont need x25 for hunting. Probably swap for a 3.5-18 in the Z5.
The more i learn about the scope, the more I like it. the repeatability seems to be spot on in most cases. Going to get the Z5 but not sure if I'm going to get the 12 or the 18.....wish they made a 14.

The more i learn about the scope, the more I like it. the repeatability seems to be spot on in most cases. Going to get the Z5 but not sure if I'm going to get the 12 or the 18.....wish they made a 14.

We have the Z5 18 also and its the nicest scope we own. Even guys that shoot long range rarely go much over a 18x scope. I think you'll be impressed with it.

I have this scope, I replaced the factory option with one from the Outdoorsman. I have one made for my .300 win mag. 200 yard zero to 775 yards. In 25 yard increments. It it amazing. Worth the money.

That's good to know and a smart idea. I'm assuming the zero's are slightly different.

I talked to the folks at Leupold and their tech said elevation doesn't factor much until you're over 8K feet and shooting further than 600 yards. I'd imagine it has some impact on lower elevations and shorter distances. However, I think he was giving me the old pie plate reference "if you hit the pie plate, dead deer".

We have the Z5 18 also and its the nicest scope we own. Even guys that shoot long range rarely go much over a 18x scope. I think you'll be impressed with it.
I'm just waiting for euro or midway to have a sale. it's been a while.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom