Swift Scirocco Bullets

E

elkslayer54

How do these bullets work on elk 150gr??? in a 300 Remington Ultra Mag. app 3400fps

Why dont you try them out and let us know. HE HE HA HA HA HA HA HA HE H HE HE

Smiling.gif

OK all in fun, I would go with the 165 or 180 grainers, there isnt that much difference in drop, Go withthe heavier bullet and gain more whallop. Or is that gun with a heavier bullet to much for the little Elkslayer to handle? Boo Hooo Hooo Hooo. I shot the 165 grainers last year out of my rifle and it preformed great. Hey Slayer. Does your wife know you are wearing her bra? he he he he he he

Smiling.gif

actually I tried the scirocco in a simmular cartridge it was a lazzeroni warbird I never got rear good groups
also understand at that velocity it takes the bullet about 250 yards to stabilize but with a 180 grain only about 150 yards.
One little secret is try a bullet called a woodleigh 150 or 180 grain protective point you can purchase them from midway usa
I have never shot a more accurate bullet in my life, the bullet looks like a nosler partition but it is unbelievable on animals of all kinds and sizes.
try them and you will love them they run about $29.00 per box of 50

I tried the 150 gr .28 cal in my 7mm stw last year. I got them travelling about 3375 and shooting sub moa groups. Ordered 2 more boxes. I figured the big mule deer hunter above had given me the perfect long range hunting combo.
I shot about a 200lb mule deer at 70 or so yards and watched him run off. I found him a 100 yards or so later. Shot through both shoulders about 6 inches up with not much of an exit wound. I was glad it didn't blow up and I didn't think much of it at the time but nothing had gone that far previously with a variety of other bullets with that kind of hit.
Elk season, same gun and load. 4 pt bull bedded behind a log at 410 yds by the range finder. When he got up I shot him behind the shoulder and he started to walk off. When he stopped again I went for both shoulders. Heard the hit and he started to walk again. Next stop was one in the neck and he dropped over dead.
The autopsy revealed about a .30 cal hole in his heart. About a .60 hole through both shoulders with little damage in between. Last was a broken neck with about a 1 inch exit hole. We had to feel around the off side of him to find the holes. We found them because we felt the blood not because of the gaping chest wound.
My conclusion was they were non expanding bullets. It couldn't have been much different with a solid. If you can't open them up with the speed of an stw then I guess you need more critter.
I like exit wounds from my bullets and I like to be able to see the exit wound when I roll the critter over. Everyone has a different take on what a bullet should do so I'll leave it at that. I'm keeping the bullets in case I get to Africa some day and I can see if they expand on somethng over there.
I'm trying the new Nosler accubond this year. They shoot as well as the Swift and I've have suprisingly good results with the 200 gr .338 ballistic tip that the accubond were patterned after.
I'd like to hear if the .30 cals are different.
Good hunting

I used the 180's on whitetails (only cause I couldn't find the 150's) a couple years ago. They "sliced" right through'um with virtually no expansion. I've loaded some of the Hornady 150 SST's and believe them to be more expansive on impact. However, the 180 Scirocco's did group very well, under an inch off the bench. I'd go with the 180 or 165 for Elk.

I wanted to try the 150's because I just got a second RUM and my sendero shoots a 180 gr combind techinology bullet, great bullet, but I don't want 2 guns that shoot the same, I wanted one to be a little lighter and faster, So with the feed back I am going to try the barnes X Tripple shock 150's in the new RUM. But so far with the 180's the new one shoots as good as the sendero. I am very pleased. MUZZ you need one of these!!!!! bad to the bone. But I will tell you one thing the lighter gun packs a punch a little hard on the shoulder, But I can handle it.:<)

Elkslayer54,
Can you get any good accuracy from the Barnes x? They didn't work at all in any of my guns except a 225 gr. .338. Please share any secrets that can make those bullets shoot under 1.5 moa.

I will get one after the hunting season. If I was you I would go with a grand slam bullet or try Swifts A Frame. There also a good bullet.

Smiling.gif

Man you guys SUCK !!! I just spent $54.00 for two boxes of Remingtons Swift Scirocco's for my 30/06 and now I'm gonna be scared to use them. I knew I should have got the Nosler Partitians.

Dont be scared to use them. I shot my buck with them last year and he dropped right where he wa troten. Hit them in the lungs heart area and they wont go anywhere. I think the bullet performed well. dont be scared till you have a misshap. I pesonaly think the scirocco will become one of the great big game bullets. I wouldnt use the nosler Interbonds. I hear there crap.

Smiling.gif

Ive always been told that you need to slow some of those bullets
down to get them to expand, especially found that true with Barnes X bullets at close range, shot a real big bull a few years ago with Xs out of my 300Wthby at about 50 yards and it didnt even open them up. Shot him 4 times and reloaded and shot him twice more to keep him from going down a huge canyon, just punched little holes. My guess is that those Scirrocos will open up nicely at 200 yards in 180 grains, thats why Im shooting them these days.

Sheepeater

nolser doesnt make the interbond.hornady does.nosler makes the accubond.so which one did u here was crap?????more info needed.

That would be the accubond sorry, I have heard a few things positive towards the hornady bullet. But all negitive about the nosler.

Smiling.gif

muzz, I don't know where you're info on the Accubond comes from, but you may want to inquire further. I shot a black bear at approximately 35 yards with a 200 grain Accubond from a .300 ultra mag and had exellent results. I have chrongraphed this load at 3200 fps and it will group into 3/8 to 1/2 inch at 100 yards regularly. This is a bonded bullet perfectly suited for high velocity cartridges at a variety of ranges. This was the first game animal I have taken with this bullet. Since I have 2 different doe deer tags in addition to my bull elk and buck deer tags, I should be able to provide results from longer yardages by the end of our Montana big game season. You didn't say if you had used the Accubond or not. If you are interested, I will provide more info based on my success through the season. Personally, I would use this bullet in my chosen cartridge for any North American big game. I believe Nosler will advise the same. Good Hunting! dalewswenson

ok, I dont remember the article I read on the noslers but it wasnt to promising on the bullet. I have also heard a few guys that have tested them say they were not impressed with it either. I havent shot them and I might not ever shoot them. I dont realy care, I got a good bullet and that is what I am going to shoot. I am not bad mouthing the Nosler bullet just passing on what was read and told to me. If you want to shoot the Nosler then shoot the Nosler, If you want to shoot the Hornady then shoot the Hornady, If you want to shoot the ##### then this is the place to do it. Good luck to you all this fall.

Smiling.gif

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-03 AT 05:22AM (MST)[p]Tried them in my 300RUM and couldn't get better than a 3 inch group at 100yds. I think they make a helluva bullet..I'm going to try a different wieght later on.

i have used the trophy bond bullet on elk,big horn and deer, very accurate and they go toes up with 270 and 3006, so I dont think i'll change the formula . They also retain about 90 % with dime size expansion.

I shot The Remington Premier Bonded Scirocco's in 150 grain (30-06) this year on the deer and elk hunt. I dropped both animals in one shot each. I was impressed with their performance. I shot my elk on the run at about 100 yards. My shot was a few inches higher than I would've liked, but my elk dropped like a ton of bricks and never made a move to get up. My buck was shot at about 75 yards. He was dead before he hit the ground. Im sold on their accuracy and performance!

Most of the guys that I know who shoot em' say they group well but are not impressed with the expansion. By friend Myron shot a mulie 3 times with them and the exit holes were not much bigger than the entrance. He said that the first 2 went through the lungs and it took a spine shot to stop it.
Eric
Bird-01.gif

costumed-smiley-024.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

I'm wondering the same question, but on whitetails. I have killed numerous whitetails with the swift scirocco 180 gr. in 300 UM. I have shot whitetails with them from a distance of 10 yards to a distance of 400 yards. They performed great at every distance. Good exit holes. I havent had one run yet, but then again these arent big animals. I was happy with the 180 gr bullets, but i was given a box of 150 gr. scirocco's. I guess I'll go blow a hole in a doe tommorow and let you know how the 150 gr. bullet performed. I need some jerkey anyways.

later, M_P

I shot a whitetail buck with my 300 win mag and 180 grains this year at about 200 yards. I stuck my fist in the exit hole on the back side rib cage. I was kinda of thinking it might have been a little too much expansion. After reading some of the other posts here I think Ill just stick with them.
Sheepeater

We have been using the 180 Scirocco's in our 300 Wins for two years. I shot a buck at 50 yards last year (overkill) and he went right down. Shot an elk at 275 yards this year. It didn't hit any bone and went right through but the elk went right down. My son-in-law shot an elk this year at 606 yards (lazer measured). The elk walked about 30 yards and was dead. The bullet again did not hit any bone, punched through one lung and stopped on the opposite side just under the hide. The bullet weighed 170 grains when recovered.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom