SxS vs Tacoma

i had a 2011 Tacoma and I wanted a newer one. I got the 2018 Colorado. It has lockers on the front where the Tacoma doesnt. It makes a world of difference. The Colorado has a better ride it has more power and gets way better gas mileage.. but it is newer so it should.. you couldn’t give me a sxs. They spook the game, you have to haul them on a trailer to get where you are going. They are dusty and you can’t even talk to your buddy going down the two tracker. I can drive mine down the road 80 miles an hour heading to the bookcliffs and if I don’t like where I’m hunting I can haul azz to another place without the hassle of towing it. I love it and wouldn’t trade it for the best sxs on the planet. They go just about anywhere you want.

i had a 2011 Tacoma and I wanted a newer one. I got the 2018 Colorado. It has lockers on the front where the Tacoma doesnt. It makes a world of difference. The Colorado has a better ride it has more power and gets way better gas mileage.. but it is newer so it should.. you couldn’t give me a sxs. They spook the game, you have to haul them on a trailer to get where you are going. They are dusty and you can’t even talk to your buddy going down the two tracker. I can drive mine down the road 80 miles an hour heading to the bookcliffs and if I don’t like where I’m hunting I can haul azz to another place without the hassle of towing it. I love it and wouldn’t trade it for the best sxs on the planet. They go just about anywhere you want.
Thank you. I’ve been kicking around selling my SxS and going with a 2021 Tacoma. I appreciate the input.

1634616635388.jpeg

And you can back them right up to your bull.

There are much nicer mid-size trucks than the Tacoma, IMO. TFL Truck has a bunch of comparison tests that I'd recommend watching. I'd take the new Frontier, Ranger, or Colorado before a Tacoma, but that's just me.

To answer your question though, I've got a mid-size truck as well as a Yamaha Wolverine with a hard cab and heater. They both have their place, but the truck is a much better value than the SxS.

I’ve had four previous generation Tacoma double cab, V6, 4x4 trucks. They were great, lots of power, good transmission and drove well.
I bought a new 2020 4x4 double cab V6 one year ago and hate it. The smaller V6 is under powered, transmission is not smooth and hunts for gears, it’s very shifty. I’d have already sold it if there wasn’t a chip shortage.

Tacoma’s, rangers and colorados are all pretty cool. Having the AC and heater with the room is hard to beat. I can tell you that you can’t get to several of my spots in bad weather with a mini truck. SxS are a good tool but I prefer the full size truck over all three.

I made a post on this mindset a while back. Was chapped after a late elk hunt with a buddy in the back of his SxS in the snow/mud/cold/slush.
I have a deep hatred for SxS also. Expensive, loud as $hit, cold, dusty, spook game, tear up roads, hot, muddy, have to tow them, have to store them, usually aren't street legal, etc...

As a closer comparison, I'd go for an old Jeep XJ/Cherokee. Had one that would do anything, packed out elk in them, have windows, 4 doors, heat, a/c, offroad capability, street legal, quiet, and only a little bigger than a 4 seater SxS.

2014 TRD Off Road Taco here.
SXS or 4 wheeler works as a different kind of tool but use the Taco way more.
The Colorado looks and probably works good as well. I almost bought one but my Taco was paid off.
My personal opinion is that the Taco will last a lot longer and is a higher mileage vehicle..

Here in Idaho there are many atv trails I can take my sxs and even some old jeep roads that you couldn't take a truck or jeep. I can also go pretty fast and those mushy low pressure tires just soak it up. Last year I put 4 new dents in my truck and said "that's it", and got the sxs. I put upper and lower doors on it, windshield, back window, and a heater. It works awesome. With all that said, if I'm just on a typical gravel road, nothing better than a truck or jeep. They're all tools, gotta pick the right one for the job.

I never use my main mode of transportation on backcountry trails. If your truck or jeep breaks down or gets stuck you're screwed. Get in trouble with a atv/utv you can always walk back to the truck and drive out to get help.
Good point.

I never use my main mode of transportation on backcountry trails. If your truck or jeep breaks down or gets stuck you're screwed. Get in trouble with a atv/utv you can always walk back to the truck and drive out to get help.
That is always a concern in the back of my mind.
Sooner or later something is going to break on whatever you drive or ride on the way there, while you are there or on the way out.
I Try to keep up on the maintanence and try to have tools and flat repair and such with me.
Then if that doesn't work I start going through the favor list.

The Colorado looks and probably works good as well. I almost bought one but my Taco was paid off.
My personal opinion is that the Taco will last a lot longer and is a higher mileage vehicle..
Not if get the diesal

I loved my 97 Ford F250 4X4 & my Honda Foreman but, , , ,
you can't even start to do this with a SXS! This years elk hunt in northern Az. My 2014 Tacoma is "The little truck that can!"

Tacoma gets it done.jpg

Tacoma goes off road.jpg

My friends Toyota from a late AZ muzzy hunt a few years back. He takes the Toyota and I take my 3/4 ton and tow an enclosed cargo trailer with a Rhino and gear. Works great having options.

7C6974C5-B616-43B5-B8D7-9121212440E5.jpeg

No it's stock with 235 75 15s. Will drive 75 down the hwy and climb anything I need it to. Get 30mpg

Had a sidekick convertible here in Idaho back in the day and it was a cowboy magnet. They thought me and buddies were homos clubbing downtown boise but I yelled "HELL NO!" That's the end of that story. I did feel a little off driving it downtown trying to pickup fatchicks.

I drive mine wearing my sun hat, flip flops, khaki pants, and have granola on the dash. Deer just stand there and chew their cud. Slip my bow out of the backseat and most don't go 20!

I love fudge. The stuff at Cabelas is my favorite. Getting back on track I could buy 8 Chevy Trackers for the cost of one sxs. So much quieter too.

why not both. Tacos and SxS both have their pros n cons
My vote is for the SxS just because you can cover ground more easy in less time without throwing everything in your body outta wack..

I've stuck with my tacomas. Pretty much have everything done to my old one that a side by side has and it has 4 doors, ac/heater and a shell for alot less than a 2 seat razor costs. There has been times I've thought about buying a sxs but I cant justify that price tag. I bought a 2018 tacoma last year with 10,000 miles for less money than the Polaris ranger north star costs and that imo is why I won't buy a sxs.

I had an 88 4Runner. Two door. Loved it.

Absolutely mobbed in snow and mud. A guy rear ended me in Boulder and totaled it. I miss that thing. Ending up buying a Tacoma and it did well but I missed the weight in the snow.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom