Tag return deadline

prairie_ghost

Hey guys, I've got an NR general elk permit i was hoping to get good use of but some unexpected work trips getting pushed back are going to screw up my fall plans.
I see on the FWP site that folks can sign up for the alternate list until 7/7...I just don't see a deadline for the return itself??

Thanks!

You can turn a tag back in anytime..it used to be you could get 80% back before Aug 1 then 50% after that until rifle season opens at 3rd week of October- Hatrick

Sounds like you could hunt six weeks of archery and get a 50% refund if you don't cut your tag. That sound like something MT would do.

Sounds like you could hunt six weeks of archery and get a 50% refund if you don't cut your tag. That sound like something MT would do.
Definitely something they would do. Sale the tag once allow someone to archery hunt and then sale it again for $900 to another hunter. You can't make it up can ya? Lol

You can turn a tag back in anytime..it used to be you could get 80% back before Aug 1 then 50% after that until rifle season opens at 3rd week of October- Hatrick
If you have an archery permit you have until Sept. 5 this year to turn back your tags, once the season starts , you can not return tags in after season starts that you acquired the permit to archery hunt.

Here read it straight from the MT code. In short before August 1 80%, before start of general (rifle) season October 24th 50% refunds.

nonresident combination license holders may receive a license refund according to the following schedule, provided the nonresident certifies that the license was not used:
(i) 80% refund if postmarked on or before August 1 of the license year;
(ii) 50% refund if postmarked after August 1 of the license year, but on or before the general big game hunting season with the following exceptions:
(A) if the license holder is outfitter sponsored and lack of success in drawing a permit eliminates opportunity to use the license, the amount retained by the agency will be $100, provided that the request is postmarked on, or prior to, October 1;
(B) if the license holder is landowner sponsored and lack of success in drawing a permit eliminates opportunity to use the license, the amount retained by the agency will be $50, provided the request is postmarked on, or prior to, October 1;
(iii) no refund will be issued after the opening of the general big game hunting season;
(f) for the purpose of considering refunds, any license ordered by mail shall be considered sold when the department receives a valid application;
(g) the director, or his designee, may authorize exceptions to the refund policy due to extenuating circumstances including but not limited to the following:
(i) declaration of war or police action;
(ii) catastrophic or major natural disaster or man-made event that necessitates the assistance from state or federal emergency management agency.
History: 87-1-301, MCA; IMP, 87-1-301, MCA; NEW, 1991 MAR p. 815, Eff. 5/31/91; AMD, 1993 MAR p. 1330, Eff. 5/14/93; AMD, 1996 MAR p. 768, Eff. 3/22/96; AMD, 1999 MAR p. 413, Eff. 3/12/99; AMD, 2002 MAR p. 1072, Eff. 4/12/02.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom