Tag return rule.

buckhorn

Very Active Member
A couple of guys have made posts saying that there is a new tag return rule in Utah where you can’t return a tag unless you have a medical or military excuse. Is this in the regulations or just a rumor? Thanks

You can still return your tag, but if it's within 30 days of the season starting, you don't get your points back.

A couple of guys have made posts saying that there is a new tag return rule in Utah where you can’t return a tag unless you have a medical or military excuse. Is this in the regulations or just a rumor? Thanks

It is a done deal this year, if it is less than 30 days before the start of the hunt you will not get your points back. If it is 30 before the hunt you will get your points back but you will not receive a point for the current year.

The numbers they came out with showing how the old rule was being abused was jaw dropping. In the last 3 years alone there was well over 1000 LE tags that went unused because they was not able to re-issues the tags as not enough time was given to do so.

One example was one person has drawn the Henry Mtn rifle deer tag for the past 10 years, and every year usually just a day or two before the season starts he turns it in. They have only been able to reissue that tag two times out of the 10 years.

The new rule requires a medical excuse to be able to turn a tag in after the 30 rule.

If a person turns their tag in with less than 30 days till the season opens but does have a medical excuse will they keep their points? Will they be awarded a point for the current year also? What about the money for the Tag fee? Do they lose that or will they get that back also?

Buckhorn, watch this and you will have all your questions answered. I believe the board passed this without any changes.

One example was one person has drawn the Henry Mtn rifle deer tag for the past 10 years, and every year usually just a day or two before the season starts he turns it in. They have only been able to reissue that tag two times out of the 10 years.

He doesn't happen to have a well-known name in the hunting industry does he? I've heard rumors.

To screw eight people out of tags, while kicking the point creep that much higher, plus taking the fun and anticipation and scouting from the two guys that accepted the tags is a travesty! Glad they're closing that BS down!

He doesn't happen to have a well-known name in the hunting industry does he? I've heard rumors.

To screw eight people out of tags, while kicking the point creep that much higher, plus taking the fun and anticipation and scouting from the two guys that accepted the tags is a travesty! Glad they're closing that BS down!
They never said who it was that was just one example the DWR used when pitching the change to the public and the wildlife board. They never actually called them out by name. Along with lots of examples of Sheep guys saying there guides told them it wasn't a good year and to turn it in for the next year.

This was a very good change to make for sure.

If He Didn't Scout & Find a Buck Worthy of the Tag in 10 Years does that tell you anything?

The Cream of the Crop have been hitting the Dirt on the Henries for many years now!

Remember the Guy that use to put His 93 year old Grandmother in for Sheep Hunts?

I Can't Imagine what His Battle Plan was!:D

This is a very good change. I too was very surprised to see the actual impact the previous rule was having and how many LE tags were going unused. Too bad. That many people out of the pools would really have helped point creep. Wouldn't have fixed it on its own, but would have helped.

Add those numbers to the 500+ welfare tags we give out to conservation organizations every year and we're talking serious progress on an issue we all care about!

EASY There scopenstalk!

He want's a 45"ER that'll Score 260"+!

I've Seen a Few NON-PISSCUTTERS on the Henry's!

But Not what this Guy is looking for!

EASY There scopenstalk!

He want's a 45"ER that'll Score 260"+!

I've Seen a Few NON-PISSCUTTERS on the Henry's!

But Not what this Guy is looking for!
I can’t remember hearing of a buck even in the 250s let alone 270 off the henries.........has there ever been a buck killed bigger than that down there in recent history?

You only Hear about or see the Cream of the Crop!

I Haven't heard of too many Giants being taken in recent years!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom