Tagged an Idaho buck

BrianID

Very Active Member
On Monday the 11th I spotted a doe bedded across the canyon around 10:00am in a snow storm. After glassing for surrounding deer I spotted a buck mixed in with a group of about 8 does/fawns. I had plenty of time to set up my tripod and pack for a back rest and get in my preferred prone shooting position. The falling snow made it difficult to get a range on him but I was able to range a couple trees close to him and knew he was about 350 yards. I hit him exactly where I was aiming on his close shoulder and bullet exited right behind the off side shoulder. Bullet impact velocity from my 300 win mag and 199gr hammer hunters was around 2580 FPS and hit major blood vessels and lungs just above the heart. At the shot he made a mad dash of about 50 yards before tipping over dead. I’ve seen Nosler and hornady bullets kill multiple deer faster than the hammer hunter but a dead deer in less than 30 seconds after a well placed shot isn’t anything to complain about. I also didn’t loose hardly any meat which is one of the reasons I decided to try the hammers.

Attached is a picture I took about a minute after shooting.
45-FB8-D4-B-349-A-44-CB-93-C3-AFA0229-BE573.jpg

I was by myself so I didn’t get any great field photos. At about 27” wide, I’m pleased with him for an Idaho general season buck.
B9-F7-FAB0-8303-4-BA8-9255-D214-C8-D69-AA0.jpg

This is a picture of my pack.

EC7-B07-AA-797-A-4-C7-E-B1-EF-E0-C633-F17497.jpg

It was about 100lbs after I strapped my gun on it. After packing out a deer(120lb+ pack) in a single trip about 6 years ago I told myself I would never do that again. I wasn’t packing 20+lbs of optics/tripod this day because visibility was only about 500 yards or less in this snow storm so I decided to do it in one trip. It wasn’t fun with about a foot of snow on the ground but the route out didn’t have too much steep elevation or downfall to cross so it was doable. I was able to cover 2 miles back to the truck in about 90 minutes.

Nicely done! I’m headed up today to try my luck on my Idaho general tag. How do you like your suppressor? Do you notice any major changes on your POI with it on vs off? My Silencerco harvester just got out of jail this week, and I haven’t been able to shoot it yet. Just curious what I’m in for.

Great looking Idaho buck! Just looking at that pack makes my knees cringe from the memories of similar single-trip pack outs. For some reason, the single trip always seems to trump the idea of multiple trips. ------SS

Nicely done! I’m headed up today to try my luck on my Idaho general tag. How do you like your suppressor? Do you notice any major changes on your POI with it on vs off? My Silencerco harvester just got out of jail this week, and I haven’t been able to shoot it yet. Just curious what I’m in for.
I have 2 OSS helix as well as 2 thunderbeast supressors. I also have another thunderbeast in jail. They just make shooting so much more enjoyable. Besides reducing noise, they also decrease the “percussion” of the shot going off. My 338 Lapua with a break before putting a suppressor on it was uncomfortable to shoot after several shots and I had to be careful of anyone next to me when pulling the trigger. I have the quick detachment for both my OSS and thunderbeast suppressors. I’ve switched them between multiple guns and have noticed no POI shift as long as the suppressor is on. The suppressor changes the barrel harmonics so I’ve seen a POI shift on all eight guns I’ve put the quick detach break/suppressor on. Some guns had less than a 1MOA shift and others had a 2+MOA shift. One gun I’ve removed and reattached the suppressor at least a couple dozen times and it will shoot 1/2 MOA reliabiy every time. Silencerco has a great reputation so I would expect you to be very pleased with it. If you plan on hunting with or without the suppressor on, then I would recommend checking to see the difference in POI.

I do a lot of coyote calling and have really enjoyed having a suppressor. I’ve probably killed 50 coyotes in the last couple years while using a suppressor. Besides protecting my ears, suppressors decrease the number of times coyotes take off after the first shot.

This was the first deer I’ve shot while using a suppressor. I was expecting all of the other deer to just stand around after the shot and try to figure out why the buck just tipped over and what was wrong with him. Surprisingly all the deer, including the buck took off like a “bat out of hell” after the shot. He made it only about 50 yards and was dead in less than 30 seconds but it wasn’t the reaction from him or the other deer that I expected.

Thats a great buck congrats. Good job making the packout in one trip. Looking forward to the end of a packout and not going back is great incentive to keep one foot in front of the other. Made a solo 1.5 mile packout last year with bone in deer quarters which wasn't fun but at least I didn't have to climb that mtn again.

Nice buck, and thanks for sharing. Just got back from a unit 44 bull hunt for my Grandson, we had one at 725 but didn't feel comfortable with the shot. Tons of hunters, and not many shots, but we had a great time being in God's country, will head back up on Thursday as he has Friday off from school.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom