Tagging, packing, and evidence of sex questions

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Hunting bull elk in CO as a NR, DIY. I understand I have to leave evidence of sex attached to one quarter. So that means I can't skin that quarter? Correct? How else would I leave evidence attached?

I was gonna ask where the carcass tag stayed while I made two trips to pack it out. But, I see I have to pack it out all at once! Really? What do you guys do? Or, what do guys you know do? ;)

I read the attached post but didn't get an answer.

Thanks.

CO Elk Tagging.jpg

I’m a bit curious too.
Not sure if it was legal, as I wasn’t checked. I had to make two trips one time. But I skinned most of the quarter that I left the proof of sex on, leaving just enough to keep it attached. And I left the tag with that quarter.

The refs are referring to transporting in a vehicle not packing out. When leaving evidence of sex, on a hind quarter, skin everything but leave a tiny bit hide with some of the male organs attached. Same with a cow, leave something, mammary glands or whatever. If boning out the same applies.

You can leave evidence of sex and not have any hide on the quarter. Also a weird rule I found out in CO was you have to take the antlers out of the field. I shot a 5x6 and didn’t want to take them to AK so I left them in Denver when I rather of left them on the mountain for the squirrels…

You can leave evidence of sex and not have any hide on the quarter. Also a weird rule I found out in CO was you have to take the antlers out of the field. I shot a 5x6 and didn’t want to take them to AK so I left them in Denver when I rather of left them on the mountain for the squirrels…
I believe Utah has that same rule.

Following up, in regulations, commas have meaning (a list) as does the words “and”/ “or”. A comma does NOT equal “and” or “or” so there are several ways to be legal with processed/possessed meat vs a carcass (whole, quartered or boned).

So here is what I THINK.

Quarters in camp - evidence of sex remains attached. But “cut into processed meat” is SEPERATE from “wrapped and frozen” which is SEPERATE from “stored at licencees home”. It’s like saying “We accept Visa, Mastercard, or Discover”. They are mutually exclusive acceptable outcomes. So when I butcher my carcass IN CAMP into vacuum sealed bags and store on ice i THINK I am legal. I still keep the evidence of sex in a seperate vacuum sealed bag.

44040395-D094-462C-8A48-2984BA93B09E.jpeg

Last edited:
I always leave evidence of sex, skin it out or around it and leave it on the quarter and if stopped you will never have a problem

Yeah, transport=vehicle. They don’t expect you to put a whole elk on your back in one trip.
Thank Goodness!

I have packed out a tree stand, heavy pack, gun, and a deer (dragging) in mountainous East TN terrain all at once. I'd drag the deer 100 yards, then go back for the tree stand and gun. Then repeat. So technically I made two trips, just never more than about a hundred yards from anything.

Transport = vehicle, not packing. Makes sense.
Quarter can be skinned except for evidence of sex area. Also makes sense.

But where does the carcass tag stay if it takes two trips to pack it out? In the field? Or on what you're packing?

I'll call CO P&W, just trying to get info before I make the call.

Thanks guys.

But where does the carcass tag stay if it takes two trips to pack it out? In the field? Or on what you're packing?

Thanks guys.

Just keep in on the antlers or rear hind if it’s a cow.

Thanks guys.

Again there is a distinction between in the field and camp/vehicle.

My understanding is that as long as the tag is detached and notched prior to moving the animal the detached tag can remain in your wallet until you get to the vehicle, upon which time it must be attached to the largest portion of the meat (or in the bag/cooler the deboned meat is contained therein).

DO NOT put in on the antlers!

guide book page 16:

The carcass tag should be attached to the carcass (not to detached hides, horns or antlers carried separately) immediately prior to and during transportation in any vehicle, or while in camp or at a residence or other place of storage. Tags must stay on until meat is processed and remain with meat until consumed.

You will get a ticket if you attach tag to antlers UNLESS the antlers are still attached to at least a front quarter. For a pack out it must be attached to meat

Do you take the tag with you on each load? Or take it with the first load then leave it at the truck?

Just got off the phone with the Meeker office. We discussed two scenarios.

1) It is legal to leave the carcass tag at the kill site with meat, while I'm packing out the first load. In this situation, the checking GW would go with me to the kill site to verify proper tagging, proper license, etc. Hmmm. Wonder if he would help me pack? Or wonder if he'll get ticked off that he has to walk a mile or two to check a tag?

2) It is legal to keep the tag on me while I'm packing out the first load. Once I get to camp/truck, I can leave the meat, and keep the tag with me while I go back for the second load.

Option 2 sounds like the simplest and easiest to me. I always have a carcass tag on me, available to check at any time. I doubt the dead elk will be able to respond to GW questions if I'm not there!

Thanks to everyone for their input.

This is exactly the reason why we need hunters to be fish cops and biologists.

When you get a nick picky game warden that doesn’t hunt, seems they are looking to cite everyone who doesn’t have a hammock and dreadlocks.

“If you harvest far from your vehicle or camp, attaching the carcass tag can wait until you’ve moved the carcass either to your camp or to your vehicle. However, once you are in a suitable location and ready to start storage or transportation of the carcass, that tag must be attached”

This is the way to do it! Tie your tag on the tail so it is easily inspected by the game warden without having to take the ek off your back. Depending on the size of the elk, it can be a bit difficult getting te elk situated “just right” when using this method…

The carcass tag should be attached to the carcass (not to detached hides, horns or antlers carried separately) immediately prior to and during transportation in any vehicle, or while in camp or at a residence or other place of storage. Tags must stay on until meat is processed and remain with meat until consumed

For those that like to see it in writing.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom