Tags Are How Much?!

Wiszard

Long Time Member
My Dad just sent me the price list for Wyoming because we've got to apply shortly. For me to hunt deer and antelope it's gonna cost $612....and then the conservation stamp. Seems like within the next 10 years, I'm gonna be priced out of hunting out of state if my wife finds out how much I spend on tags!! It's getting ridiculous...

Steve

I think the Special Tags are expensive but not the regular drawing when you compare them to other states.

7 Mag

Seems to me that the deer tags have gone up around 50 bucks compared to 3 years ago. Wyoming is still a good deal compared to other states.

Wyoming is the only state that I hunt consistantly and tag prices, at least for deer, have been increasing rapidly. They may be cheap compared to other states but that is not cheap to me. Gotta pay if you want to play!

Steve

I agree, they are too much. All the states continue raise their prices and fight each other. I see it getting much worse before it gets better.... :(

Increasing rapidly?

Yeah, they went up last year after being the same for the previous 5 years.

Do you think the cost of operating the game and fish has stayed the same since 7 years ago?

It was an inflation related increase...

One of the cheapest part of the entire hunt and people still whine...

Unbelievable.

Thanks Buzz,

I just love it when people from out-of-state pull up in their '08 Cummins Mega-cab, with their 36' Toy Hauler and 4 Polaris 800 ATVs, drop their 21' Lund into the nearest lake, and proceed to immediately go into a full blown rant about how they just dropped $350 on a deer license, $15 on a conservation stamp, and $85 on a fishing license.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-09 AT 05:47PM (MST)[p]That's because their ass is so far in debt from gadgetitis that they have no room on their five credit cards to apply for the bloody permit. You know my dad and us kiddies hunted for years with an old Willy's Jeep, a sleeping bag, and an old canvas army tarp thrown over us and a sturdy set of legs and always seemed to get it done. Pretty much do the same now. Live in your means and keep a stash just for hunting permits and all will be well.

Pulverizer

I agree,,, kinda. My,,,, humm,humm, rig is a 97 explorer, and not even a wall tent, and on one hand the fees are high, because I am making less than I was 5 years ago and not high, as long as they use the money for betterment of the wildlife. So I understand both sides.

Wiszard--
Might poke a little functional fun and put up for a doe tag for each species, the Wife may think it's a bargain again for four animals at $700!

To set the record straight....I don't have a quad, never have and probably never will. Don't have an expensive truck. Don't have a Lund...have a 1997 Nitro thats paid off. I hunt Wyoming every year for the most part and I feel that the tag fees are expensive. They are expensive in every state to me except MY state!! If you don't agree with my opinion, then don't. No need to be a jack ass about it. Oh, I see, it's YOUR state's F&G that I was insulting? Is that what your comments were about? God forbid I say YOUR states tag fees are too expensive. Not too sure why I'm wasting my time.....

Steve

Steve,

I spend plenty every year on hunting. Comes down to priorities because I sure as heck am not wealthy.

Last year for example:

NR fees for Javelina and elk in Arizona...$850.
NR fees for deer/elk in Montana...........$678.
Resident fees in Wyoming (the works)......$300.

Plus I applied for tags in NV Non-refundable license $141.
Applied for tags in Utah Non-refundable $65

Heres the list of states where I only recieved a NR drawing fee:

MT special deer, special elk, goat, sheep, moose, bison. Plus another $50 in super tag chances.

WY bison, sheep, deer, elk, antelope, moose and goat.

NV deer, elk, sheep (3), antelope.

UT deer, sheep and $300 in expo tags.

NM elk, deer, antelope, sheep, oryx

CO deer, sheep

My wife applied for about 40% of the above as well.

Guess what? I didnt whine about a single NR license, application fee, or drawing fee in any of those "other" states.

I personally cant think of a better thing to spend money on...in particular when that money supports something I really think is worthwhile (wildlife). Thats not to mention the fun, excitement, excercise, etc. etc. etc. etc. that goes with it.

I personally think you should quit griping about it and just come out to Wyoming and have a good time. A few hundred for the privilege is well worth it, IMO.

I also thank you for your support of Wyomings wildlife in the past and hopefully in the future.

Good luck if you draw that spendy tag for this fall!

Buzz- I'll be out there, hopefully, this year chasing goats and mule deer. The reason I keep going out there is for the entire experience. We are invited back each year to the same ranch to hunt with the same people that the ranch owners invite back year after year. It's a blast to see the same folks and talk about past hunts year after year. We all help out with the cattle preg-checking or separating calves or something of that nature. The ranch owners have everyone over for dinner in the main house several of the nights that everyone is there. After the first or second year going there, the ranch owners have become friends more than anything. It always sucks to leave the ranch and head for home. The hunting is always good and the times are always better. I would pay $500 a tag just to go out there. BUT...that doesn't mean it isn't expensive! I give you credit for putting in for as many hunts as you do. Congrats....I wish I had the money to do so. I'm able to buy a point for Utah, Nevada, Colorado and hunt in Wyoming and California. Starting next year I'll start burning points I have in those previously mentioned states. Doesn't matter where the money goes...it's still coming out of my pocket and it is going up and up. I understand the effects of inflation but having tag prices increased is not a good thing! Good luck with your upcoming draws.

Steve

Steve, we all feel the same pain but continue to play the game.

Worse one was gas went up $2.00 a gallon between when we applied and when we actually drove last year. And that $$$$ didn't go to wildlife but ragheads and fat cats instead.

I aint gonna quit the game and I doubt you will either.

You are right, Hunter....I won't quit....just as most of us won't. It's how we were raised and it's in our blood. It's almost like being in love with a stripper!!! you don't like to spend the money, but you like what you get in return....so I've been told!!

Steve

I am a non res to Wy. First of all I love the state and what it has to offer. I do think it is a great value and will continue to apply each year. Second if someone expresses a concern about the price of tags why would you assume they have lots of toys and to much debt?? Do you not like out of state hunters?? This is a legit concern looking down the road when it comes to our kids and grandkids. I do understand that cost of things go up but to jump on someone and say they go into a whatever is crap. I sold some of my toys so that I can persue hunting and other passions. For now it's my truck and a tent and my boots. Good luck to all this next year. Jason

Hey steve! Gotta love those strippers! So im told! Yea I know what your saying. After buying a house this year I am trying to save just enough every year from now on to go on a least one out of state hunt. I hope to go to Montana and wyoming this year kinda one last big trip. What have you been up to? Shooting the bow??

Andy

>I am a non res to
>Wy. First of all I
>love the state and what
>it has to offer. I
>do think it is a
>great value and will continue
>to apply each year. Second
>if someone expresses a concern
>about the price of tags
>why would you assume they
>have lots of toys and
>to much debt?? Do you
>not like out of state
>hunters?? This is a legit
>concern looking down the road
>when it comes to our
>kids and grandkids. I do
>understand that cost of things
>go up but to jump
>on someone and say they
>go into a whatever is
>crap. I sold some of
>my toys so that I
>can persue hunting and other
>passions. For now it's my
>truck and a tent and
>my boots. Good luck to
>all this next year. Jason
>

It's not hard to stireo type Non-res when we see the line of Motor homes with flat bed trailers behind them that are loaded down with 4 wheelers. We see them on I-80 and I-25 from Sep to Nov every year.

I will not speak for others, but more power to them. They are a big part of our economy and the funds they spend on tags is put to use for wildlife.

I complain when res tags go up so why should non-res complain.

I don't believe they'er over priced. If some one dose they just should not apply for them. if the state see that no one is applying they will know the price is to high, kinda like the oil industy found out about the price of fuel.

Hey not raggin' on anybody either and I know not everybody has all the goodies that were listed. Bad part is that there are alot of people that don't seem to hunt anymore. They just ride around in their rhinos and on their quads and road hunt. For heck sakes here in Utah they do it all day long on the bow hunt. How productive could that be? I guess occasionaly someone gets one that way but come on. I suppose I shouldn't complain, that just means there are less people bothering me out in the brush. I guess their out enjoying the outdoors too, so that's at least better than sitting on the couch. I think for the quality of the hunting Wyoming is a bargain. I guess I'm old fashioned.

Buzz--
Sumthin' don't add--
You got Res Wyo fees paid as $300, right? Similar to me.
Then you got Wyo in NR draw fees you paid for ALL the hunt species, and did not you draw anything?
I'm not catching the shmoot.
Please extrapolate for the ol' boy.

I complain when res tags go up so why should non-res complain.

should had been {Why shouldn't non-res Complain.}

Sorry about that!

Gotlost- I knew what you meant.

Congrats on the house, Andy. My Dad goes to MT every other year but won't be going this time around due to the price of it. With him being retired and the stock market down he just can't do it this time. Kind of a shame because he's gotto short change himself on doing what he loves. That is pretty much what this entire post is about. We are slowly getting priced out of out of state hunts due to the rise in tag prices. You can save money by cutting this our or that out, but what happens when you can cut no more and tag prices continue to increase? That's when you've got to cut the hunts out and that will not be good times!

Steve

"One of the cheapest part of the entire hunt and people still whine"

Actually the way I hunt its by far the most expensive part of the hunt. Here Ill break it down for ya (Now I cant speak for Wyoming, but I can speak for Id and MT)I use MT as thats the last western hunt I was on.

Lic-643
Fuel-275
Food-38
Beer-9,875 lol j/k

Now I drive from pa, normally with 3 other guys, sleep in a tent, hunt and hike till my feet fall off, all DIY, when Im succesful, I dont hire someone to pack my game out I strap it to my back on carry it out. Most of us eastern guys arnt any different than you western guys, in fact Id say were alot alike. I drive a 8 yld truck, wife drives a 10 yld car, we both work our butts off, scrimp and save to do a couple of vacations a year.

Steve, Where in montana does your dad go? Does he hunt deer or elk? The prices in Montana are about the same as wyoming.

I think he always buys a combo tag for deer and elk. But, again with the stock market doing what it is, I think he's worried about over spending. It's a part of life when retired and on a fixed income.
I'm not too sure where in MT they hunt. I know it is more on the Western part of the state than the North eastern side.

We're thinking of cutting costs by doing a California hunt. We've both got max points so we're looking into one of the X Zones. It just can't conflict with Wyoming. I need to have at least 3 weeks between hunts so I don't get the wifes panties in a bunch!!

Steve

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom