Take a Kid Hunting!!!

nmyotebuster

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-13 AT 09:13PM (MST)[p]Greetings greatest forum on MM!!

Just wanted on this application deadline eve, to remind everyone of the importance of getting more and more of our youth into our hunting heritage and passion.

Many of you may remember that I had brought up the story of the young man I "took under my wing" last year after he showed an interest in the outdoors and didn't have the means, or the support structure to help him access these things.

Long story short as you may recall, he worked his tail off for me, earned a bow of his own, and studied like no tomorrow and scored a 100% on his hunter's safety last summer.

The game and fish in our great state offers MANY MANY outstanding opportunities for our youth to not only get out and hunt, but to have true world class chances to harvest. One of which is a partnership with some organizations that offer a chance to hunt pristine areas for those that score that coveted "Perfect" on their HE test. Luke scored it, but wasn't lucky enough to draw that "perk" ( a guided cow elk hunt ).

Time passed and lo and behold his mom called me and said "You have to call the G&F right now!" I had no idea what was going on, but I did as I was told ( who here will argue with a woman telling you do it NOW :) )?

When I called we were told that we, and 4 other youth hunters who scored 100%, the opportunity to hunt antelope on TED TURNER's Ranch in northern NM ( the harvested antelope were also checked/weighed/measured for a study of the herds )!!!

Let's put all of the political stuff aside for the moment, and i would like to let you know that the land owner's permits were "donated" by the ranch, and the cost of the license was covered by NM SFW ( please refrain from any and all political comments on this thread, we all have our opinions, myself included, but let's just focus on the fact that they also contributed to getting these kids in the field ), they also covered food and lodging, and for this I thank them.

Game and Fish provided 2 officers familiar with the Ranch and the Ranch gave us 2 employees as guides for our hunt.

We went out on opening day of this hunt, and within 15 minutes were on a herd of 6 speed goats ( we had doe tags ). They were ~400 yds out, but were not spooked at all and so we decided to put a stalk on.

Luke was comfortable to about 225 yds with my 243, so we worked in when one of the coolest experiences I have ever been a part of happened. The group spooked a bit and ran away from us, but as soon as that happened our guide ( a member of G&F ), said HIT THE GROUND! and we all did, flat as a pancake ( there were 5 of us, Luke, Me, 2 from G&F and someone from SFW ). As soon as we were down, the antelope stopped, and then turned and started STRAIGHT FOR US at a slow walk.

Time seemed to stand still as we watched them inch closer and closer, and we got Luke into the prone position across my backpack, but they were bunched very tightly not offering him a clean, ethical shot. Closer and closer they got until they went from a straight line at us, to a parade going 90 degrees in front of us, perfectly broadside! One doe was a bit behind the others and we told Luke, "take that one when you are ready" You could see the end of that rifle bouncing like it was on that two track road we came in on, as his heart jumped into overdrive.
218728_10151049645343727_149703383_o_zps9e8f9e75.jpg

He took the shot, and we heard the hit, but she didn't go down immediately, she trotted away for about 50 yds, and laid down with her head held high. Let the celebrating begin, or so we thought. We watched her lay there for 15 minutes, not ever wavering as if she were going to fall over, head high, eyes alert, but low enough to the ground that we could not get a good follow up shot on her. So we waited a bit more, when the Buck from the group came over and got her to get up and move straight away ( offering no "easy" finishing opportunity ). The track was on.

That little "hump" in the middle is her, and the buck is coming over to push her.
257082_10151049648788727_1414593855_o_zps70b7f6b0.jpg

Long story short ( yeah this sure is a "short version" huh? ). We followed her almost a mile on foot, but Luke would NOT quit, he knew she was hit, and he was going to get the animal he started on. I was proud and impressed with his diligence. We finally caught up to her and he put her down with a great spinal shot as she crested a ditch going away from us.

My pictures are on my work computer, but I would like to share one photo with you that was brought to my attention last week, and made me remember that I never posted about this hunt ( SOOO SORRY ).

Oh yeah that picture...
Just click here.
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/education/hunter_ed/index.htm

NM now offers MENTORED opportunities for the youth of our state!! The young man or lady can take the online course, and hunt with you THIS YEAR, be it big game, ducks, dove, pheasant and don't forget the weekend before regular season's YOUTH TURKEY!

They will have 2 years to follow up and receive the full hunter's education course which will still be necessary if they are under 18, but they can now hunt side by side with a licensed adult hunter, THIS MEANS YOU AND ME!

This year, my daughter's best friend will hunt dove, duck and turkey with us as I work to bring at least 1 youth more, every year into this passion. I am also mentoring some friends ( not youth ), one I have invited to join my Elk application, another who is sharing an app with Luke, ( my 2 new duck partner ).

My daughter now wants her antelope, so she is in the draw for NM, and we decided to burn her few points in Colorado to chase some Mule Deer there.

Good luck to all in the upcoming draw, and if you made it this far thanks for reading.

NMYB

edit: I found a couple pics to tease on my FaceBook wall.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Great story Yote !
My kids are now 26 and 20 but I will never forget the hunts we had when they were younger and their first kills is something you will hold special forever.So try to get your kids interested and if not mentor a kid that doesn't have the opportunity otherwise.They grow up to fast and these times are brief. NM has the best youth hunt system in the west, its one thing NMGF dose right.

CC

That is awesome yotebuster. Kudos to all the organizations that stepped up to make that hunt happen.

Sounds like he is hooked for sure. Hope he can get out for the youth turkey season. That is another thing that NMG&F does a great job on.

I think I have some youth hunting duds that my son has grown out of. PM me if you would like me to send some out.

>I think I have some youth
>hunting duds that my son
>has grown out of.
>PM me if you would
>like me to send some
>out.

Paul this would be awesome! I will PM you from home tonite.

Thank you sooo much.

and Aepedil, tell your son I am sending positive vibes for him to get that tag! Good on you for getting him out in the field!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Very nice! I put my son in this year for youth elk and antelope. I am hoping to start the next generation in my house and hope my daughter gets the bug as well.

last year i introduced my daughter and nephew to hunting...she was able to connect on an antelope and had a a few opportunities on elk but it just didn't pan out...my nephew was able to connect on an elk 12/30...both are in this year for deer, elk, and antelope...
this year i will take another young person on his first hunt if he draws, he is in for deer, elk, and antelope...if they don't draw we will get them some antlerless elk permits for the end of the year...it is more enjoyable watching a kid take her/his first animal than it is for me to get one...

Good post! Watching hunting through a kids eye's is priceless and reminds me of how excited I was to hunt when I was a kid. Anybody that can, should try to get the young ones involved.

My oldest daughter just turned 5 and I can't wait to get her started if she wants. Been taking her fishing since she was old enough to walk and took her squirrel hunting with me last year. She loved it. Also trying to get my 14 year old neice involved. Didn't put her in for anything, but will try some small game this fall.

Travis

same here would rather seehim get one.didnt put him for elk because ill just get him youth cow hunt for 6a.he will get a shot for sure not worried

Great going nmyotebuster. I hope this motivates the rest of us to bring up the kids. Another way is to target whole families. I got a friend from church and my brother in-law involved this year. Together they have at least a dozen kids, with the oldest few at just the right age to get out hunting. ps. the collapsible stock on my mouse gun fits the 6-yr old just right.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom