Talk me out of 12aw early

desperatehills

Very Active Member
This is my first year as a Resident. I never though I would have a chance to hunt north of the ditch with a rifle as I built points as a NR. I have 14 points going into this years draw so the early rifle tag looks like a sure thing. With the moisture we have had so far it looks like it could be a good year to go with the later dates.

Some of the reviews on this hunt say it is too crowded. Deer can get brushed up and go nocturnal. I will have plenty of time to scout but I will be hunting out of state from early September till the first week of October. Other than a trip up in August to learn the roads I may just come a week early for the real scouting.

My goal would be a 180" buck. My biggest deer to date is 178" and I have killed several 170" bucks that score in the high 150's. I guess I have a patience problem. Will I see good bucks every day or will there be days when you can't seem to find deer?

Tell me why I should not do this hunt this year.

Do a 3a3c hunt. Closer to anywhere you may live. Can learn the whole unit in a few trips, less crowded during the hunt, and a chance at a 180 if you scout hard.

Do a 3a3c hunt. Closer to anywhere you may live. Can learn the whole unit in a few trips, less crowded during the hunt, and a chance at a 180 if you scout hard.
It seems like they kill one or two real nice bucks each year in there (190-200+) but the bucks I see on the guides websites don’t get me too fired up. They kind of remind me of the OP’s saying of “170 bucks that score in the 150’s”. Maybe I’m wrong, just seems like if you take the average buck I’ve seen posted on their social media it’s in the low 160’s.

Oh no doubt the average buck killed in there is 160-165. But every year there's 4 or 5 180s and 2-3 190+ bucks killed there. I wouldn't say for certain but I bet as a percentage of the tags in 3c vs 12aw early there are more big bucks killed in 3c.

Oh no doubt the average buck killed in there is 160-165. But every year there's 4 or 5 180s and 2-3 190+ bucks killed there. I wouldn't say for certain but I bet as a percentage of the tags in 3c vs 12aw early there are more big bucks killed in 3c.
Sorry I guess I shoulda said the average bucks killed by the outfitters. I’m guessing the average bucks killed are 20” 4 pts like anywhere. Not that outfitters are gonna kill the biggest bucks for sure every year, just seems like a lot of points to burn on a unit where most of the bucks the good hunters and outfitters are killing are 160 bucks. I think the genetics are there to crank out a big one though. But obviously they are on the kaibab as well!

3A-3C was on my radar. That is where I intended to go when I was building points as a NR. I believe the ceiling is higher on the Kaibab. If I was going to wait a few more years I could draw the late 3A-3C hunt and have a great experience with rutty deer and very few hunters in the field. I want to burn my points this year. With my points gone I will hunt general every year and draw a lower tier rifle tag every few years.

Hmmm. You can put in with me and my 10 points. When we get drawn, you can use Point Guard and keep your points while I hunt! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OK, OK, that wasn't serious. With all the discussions around the AZ PG system, I couldn't help it!

But seriously, go hunt. You never know what next year will bring.

If you want to burn your points next year then there isn’t really a better option. The only one to consider would be strip archery, but I don’t recall off the top of my head what the bonus pass on that is.

You could consider 12AE muzzleloader and it would be a little later in the year. Still not full rut. I don’t recall exactly what the bonus pass was for that but you’d be close.

Or you could have your pick of whitetail tags.

Of all that, 12AW early is probably the best chance at a really big buck. If you spend two weeks there and know how to find deer, you should get an opportunity at what you are after.

12AW early rifle bucks - Not going to talk you out of it, but I'll let pictures help you decide - just something to think about.

Scan.jpg2.jpg

Kaibab 2015 Tim's buck.jpg

Most NR I run into during the deer and elk hunts are down because somehow they thought they would be some of very few people in the forest. fact is there will be a ton of people out there. That said, plan on it, don't let it discourage you, hunt hard and enjoy yourself. While most shoot bucks way below the pics posted here, there is always a chance. I wouldn't set your goals too high or you are setting yourself up for disappointment, unless you are hiring an outfitter from that area who can scout a lot. Good luck and enjoy

I hunted 12BW early this year and I passed 1 good buck 160ish and had another bigger buck in my crosshairs for just a second before he spooked. That being said those are the only two bucks i saw the entire week. At least with 12aw they will be huntable and in the unit... they just weren't down into the 12bw country yet during the early hunt this year.

If you want to hunt the kaibab hunt the kaibab. Does it have better genes? Yes but the trade off is 200 more hunters in the field during your hunt. I’ve chased 3a3c as a NR and am cashing my chips in on the bab this year banking on multiple moisture events adding a few extra inches here and there. Deer with the age class should have a great chance at being close to full potential this year.

I would much rather hunt 3a3c do to my personal style of hunting and terrain I like but I’d rather have a tag in my pocket .

I would go early 3a3c over late. If that country gets any heavy snow those deer drop out.

Your points your call. if you want to trade you can draw me the 3a3c early tag and I’ll trade you my early 12aw tag ?

I was going to suggest you wait for the late hunt. But then I realize my friend had one more point than you. So go for it. ???

12a is a big unit and not that hard to get away from most people. From my experience, it seems like there are a lot more hunters than there really are because everyone concentrates in the same 3-4 places. Early season, the majority of hunters will be up high near the burn and late season they are down in the low country around sowats. I haven't been up there since they had the fire up high near jacobs lake 2-3 years ago but that could be very good on an early hunt. I may go camping up there this summer just to check things out. Good Luck on whatever you decide.

12a is a big unit and not that hard to get away from most people. From my experience, it seems like there are a lot more hunters than there really are because everyone concentrates in the same 3-4 places. Early season, the majority of hunters will be up high near the burn and late season they are down in the low country around sowats. I haven't been up there since they had the fire up high near jacobs lake 2-3 years ago but that could be very good on an early hunt. I may go camping up there this summer just to check things out. Good Luck on whatever you decide.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom