tape over barrel

KennyT

I was thinking about trying this to keep rain and dirt out of the barrel. Has any one tried this? Is it safe?

Been doing it for years. I even keep extra wrapped around the barrel below the muzzle, next to the fore-end.

I just place a small piece of black tape over the barrel. I also put a few wraps around my stock for easy access for tapping a tag on an animal or if I need to put a new piece on the barrel.

Been doing it for 30 yrs.Gasses blow it right off.Always have an end of the roll(small) in pocket,and usually some more in pack for tags and repairs to what ever. Good electritians tape, not cheezy tape tho.

+ 1 Hangfire, I buy black ballons from party land and they work just dandy....

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

I'm guessing a condom would work well too.

Walking through the woods with a resevior tip hanging from the end of our rifle might give you a little more time to get a shot off since that bull will be laughing so hard he can't run.

Wow, laughed so hard just about spit my coffee out reading that. I'll put a reservoir tip on my muzzy this year.

A serious question, for the guys that use balloons and tape... Am I understanding it correctly, that you shoot through the cover? You do not remove it first? I would have never thought that would work, but that's awesome if it does.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-12 AT 02:36PM (MST)[p]Yes, shoot thru the tape. Although technically the tape over the hole is gone long before the bullet gets there you don't need to remove it. Think about it, the column of air in front of the bullet must turn super dense (think shockwave or pressure wave)as the bullet is propelled upward. It cleanly opens a bore size hole before the bullet actually passes by.

Air moving at 2000 FPS (1363 MPH is probably capable of such a feat)....unless you're shooting in a vacuum then all bets are off.

Bill

Works like a charm. Used it in alaska last year. Took a sheep and moose at some long yardage. Accuracy is not affected whatsoever. I prefer electrician tape but other methods would work fine. I put several wraps about 6 inches from the muzzle for additional tape-ings.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom