Task force meeting

The TF already sold the idea to the joint TRW committee who is sponsoring the bill in the upcoming legislative session. There must be some concern it might find trouble if the TF is still vetting it with the public.

Either that or it's like many topics that we all thought they were through discussing and then they are talking about them again.

Will all task force members attend or will just the 3 local task force members show up? I didn't even see this meeting on the taskforce website

Will all task force members attend or will just the 3 local task force members show up? I didn't even see this meeting on the taskforce website
It looks to me that this meeting will be just the local TF members. The last TF meeting is in Cheyenne on the 14th. But I could be wrong

I went to the meeting last night in Cody. I took the tour of the new facility. It is something else. The public meeting room is large with Flat Screen TVs everywhere. The building has two conference rooms. The building has an elevator to satisfy the ADA. I got to view the new bear motel room. It is small but I hope the ventilation system is a good one. It is located in the main building.

Attendance at the meeting was good. I was a little concerned that Sandy Newsome, a local House member, was in charge. I personally don’t trust her. She seems to believe she will be committee chair ramrodding any legislation. A couple of task force members were present. Lee Livingston was not present which surprised me. I am horrible with names, but the person speaking for most of the meeting was a taxidermist from Casper and remotely a college President from Laramie Community College. Game and Fish employees were around but they mostly acted as your guides.

The meeting was about a proposed bonus point system to replace the preference point system for sheep and moose. This is soon to be in the form of legislation. The task force mentioned an implementation date of 2027 but the actual date will be up to the legislature. There were a few comments and questions from the audience. One outfitter (Lost Creek) took up a lot of time. He was concerned about the changeover and how it would change his bottom line. I noticed Guy Eastman was there but he had no questions.

Some takeaways from the meeting were right on. That included that the State of Wyoming needed to spend the money to improve habitat and grow game populations. No kidding. I am guessing the millions to build the new building might have been better spent to that end. An older gentleman on the task force stated he was opposed to the preference point system from the outset and he felt vindicated by what was happening with it. There was no mention of revenue to be raised from a changeover to a bonus point system.

If you are for, or opposed, to the bonus system or what input on implementation you should contact Newsome.

I could go on and on but I will spare you. Just sayin...mh

I am horrible with names, but the person speaking for most of the meeting was a taxidermist from Casper and remotely a college President from Laramie Community College. Game and Fish employees were around but they mostly acted as your guides.
Taxidermist, co-chair of task force is Rusty Bell from Gillette and Joe Schaffer is LCCC president.

Thanks for the report Dave, my only hope is the task force idea has run it's course and there are no future attempts at another one.

I went to the meeting last night in Cody. I took the tour of the new facility. It is something else. The public meeting room is large with Flat Screen TVs everywhere. The building has two conference rooms. The building has an elevator to satisfy the ADA. I got to view the new bear motel room. It is small but I hope the ventilation system is a good one. It is located in the main building.

Attendance at the meeting was good. I was a little concerned that Sandy Newsome, a local House member, was in charge. I personally don’t trust her. She seems to believe she will be committee chair ramrodding any legislation. A couple of task force members were present. Lee Livingston was not present which surprised me. I am horrible with names, but the person speaking for most of the meeting was a taxidermist from Casper and remotely a college President from Laramie Community College. Game and Fish employees were around but they mostly acted as your guides.

The meeting was about a proposed bonus point system to replace the preference point system for sheep and moose. This is soon to be in the form of legislation. The task force mentioned an implementation date of 2027 but the actual date will be up to the legislature. There were a few comments and questions from the audience. One outfitter (Lost Creek) took up a lot of time. He was concerned about the changeover and how it would change his bottom line. I noticed Guy Eastman was there but he had no questions.

Some takeaways from the meeting were right on. That included that the State of Wyoming needed to spend the money to improve habitat and grow game populations. No kidding. I am guessing the millions to build the new building might have been better spent to that end. An older gentleman on the task force stated he was opposed to the preference point system from the outset and he felt vindicated by what was happening with it. There was no mention of revenue to be raised from a changeover to a bonus point system.

If you are for, or opposed, to the bonus system or what input on implementation you should contact Newsome.

I could go on and on but I will spare you. Just sayin...mh
So was there a general consensus on the move to bonus points? I know you mentioned the outfitter concerned about client base/money. But was there many that spoke in either direction?

Thanks a ton for the information and for taking the time to share...

So was there a general consensus on the move to bonus points? I know you mentioned the outfitter concerned about client base/money. But was there many that spoke in either direction?

Thanks a ton for the information and for taking the time to share...
No, not a consensus. There were questions about 50-50 bonus points and preference points as opposed to 100% bonus points. The proposal being pushed by the task force was 100% with the legislature determining when the change would be instituted.

There was also discussion about another issue involving resident
applications for LE hunts for deer, antelope and elk. The discussion was about successful LE tag recipients not being able to apply again for a 3 year period. I don’t think that is more than just talk at this point in time. MH

No, not a consensus. There were questions about 50-50 bonus points and preference points as opposed to 100% bonus points. The proposal being pushed by the task force was 100% with the legislature determining when the change would be instituted.

There was also discussion about another issue involving resident
applications for LE hunts for deer, antelope and elk. The discussion was about successful LE tag recipients not being able to apply again for a 3 year period. I don’t think that is more than just talk at this point in time. MH
Uggh waiting periods are dumb. But I understand why some might want them…

They author doesn't understand the weighted point system.

Someone with 25 points would have their points squared, not multiplied by 4.

They author doesn't understand the weighted point system.

Someone with 25 points would have their points squared, not multiplied by 4.
Yeah they did not get even the simple math correct.

That person would end up at 625….

I wished they would go completely random but the bonus point system is a much better option than the current system.

Yeah they did not get even the simple math correct.

That person would end up at 625….

I wished they would go completely random but the bonus point system is a much better option than the current system.
626...current years application would be added as well.

I was going to ask a question at the meeting but forgot. Would the bonus point system compared to the preference point system be revenue neutral for G&F? Any ideas? Just askin...mh

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom