Taste elk vs. caribou vs. moose

DonVathome

Very Active Member
How do you rank the taste of moose and caribou vs. elk? I like elk and I want to decide how mutch moose/caribou meat to pay to bring home from alaska.

I've not eaten enough caribou to pass judgement. I REALLY like elk and moose is better.

I don't think any two game animals of even the same species can be compared fairly. There's too many variables on how they were cared for in the field, state of animal when killed(running), processing, animal condition, etc.

That being said, I love moose and have had excellent Caribou. I think the worst meat I've ever tried though was rutting Caribou. Seriously, if you're hunting the Caribou rut, donate the meat. Caribou bulls have been known to die from premature liver failure, due to injesting cow urine.

I'd bring home more Moose than Caribou if it were me.

Moose tops them all. I brought back only 50 lbs from Alaska, but my brother got on in Montana and we were eating on that one for 3 years! Great meat.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Axis deer is the very best....but not as available for me as elk and I love Elk meat!

Moose is the best of all. Elk can be good or bad. Caribou is absolutely terrible. Don't waste your time bringing home any of it. Yuck!

If you like white meat try Cougar. I hear Beaver is good, but I'm no mountain man so I couldn't tell ya.

Of the three Moose is tops followed by elk both excellent table fare. Now for the caribou I did not like it at all

beef, moose, elk, caribou................................... lamb .................................................................... ....................................................................................Deer

OX, I better invite you for dinner. Deer is really good when cooked right, The key is how it is taken care of in the field, then butchered by someone who plans on eating it. Fried in a little butter, seasoned with garlic and salt and pepper. My mouth is watering, maybe tonight. Moose is my favorite, but I don't have any left.

I have heard mnt lion is the best by many guys.

I like deer the least (so far) but I have eaten a lot of it. I can prepare it so it tastes ok with more effort, but compared to elk where I can just throw it on the grill, deer is not nearly as good.

Oryx was fantastic, a little tougher then the rest but the taste we really great.

I don't think it is the species, I think it is how well you take care of it...
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

trix ive got a bunch of moose ill bring some over and you can cook me some deer too. I have had antelope better than deer. antelope sausage and jerky is really good. deer sausage and jerky is pretty good. and bottled deer is awesome but i have never been able to cook it and make it taste good. i usually give my deer meat away

Early season caribou is by far the best meat I've ever eaten, no question. I'd be interested to know when the nay-sayers killed their animals? I'm betting it was closer to the rut? I've eaten 1000's of pounds of game meat from over 25 different species, both here and abroad. Caribou is right near the top for me. That said rutty caribou is inedible, and I can understand why some say its nasty... Most areas in Alaska close early enough to keep the trophy hunters from donating the inedible meat. No one is going to eat that crap. I can take or leave moose, eat on 450-500lbs of it and you'll get real tired of the monotony. I'll still eat it, but if there is a package of moose steaks next to caribou, I know which one I'm going to eat first.

Personally I'd take it all home. You spent a heck of a lot of money on a hunt, a few hundred more to get the meat home isn't going to break the bank.

I've only had moose once and it was excellent. I cook a lot of antelope, deer, and elk and they are all good. Elk tends to be a bit milder of the three for those who aren't used to wild meat and sensitive to "gaminess". I call gaminess flavor. I've never had caribou, though those I know who have hunted them all liked the meat.

BTW, beaver tastes good enough, though it is a bit greasier of a meat. Muskrat is also good. I've yet to try bear or lion, but look forward to it.

I'm also surprised at some of the Caribou doubters.
Both my bulls were great tasting. But both were velvet bulls, so I can't speak for the rut.
My moose was also very good tasting, but it was tough. 8 1/2 year old.

"MMWB, you left out WOLF!"

No, I've skinned enough canines and heard the testimonials of enough who have tried: Not even interest in in trying any of the dogs. Same with Raccoon. I had it as a kid and it tasted fine, but I've skinned too many as an adult--they are rank--to try it again. Skunk on the other hand, while I've not tried it, has a rich dark red meat, no adverive odor if you know what you are doing, and I wouldn't be afraid to eat it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom