Taxidermist

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
I was wondering if anyone new of a good antelope taxidermist somewhere along the interstate corridor between Rawlins and Nebraska. I would even consider dropping in to Colorado on the way back to Nebraska as I will be hunting on the Colorado Wyoming border. Rodeo accident this weekend has left my regular taxidermist with only one useful arm for quite a while.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-10 AT 03:34PM (MST)[p]I've heard good things about Trails West Taxidermy. They are just East of Rawlins. Check out their website looks like high quality work although photos are hard to tell. I talked to the owner Tom Entiger (sp ? )once about a hunt unit near Rawlins to pick his brain a little and ask him about the meat processors he leases space to during the hunting seasons. He was extremely freindly and helpful. I'd start with them. GOOD LUCK. Chip

Steve Marrou at Outdoor Creations in Cheyenne does good pronghorn. I've got two from him on the wall, and a third at his shop right now. 307-638-9320

I spent some time with Tom at trails west also and really enjoyed his shop. He didn't have a lot of his new work on display, as he was taking game in at the time, but from what he did have, lots and lots of older mounts, i'd use him if the animal warrented.

The game processor on the same lot though, i'd rate as top notch. They went over and above to meet out wishes and even threw in free dry ice for our trip home. Once home and ready to be cooked, the quality job they did for us was very evident.

Joey

Trails west does excellent antelope mounts. I have two he has mounted for me on the wall, one of them is from last October. I have to disagree with Joey on the meat processor though. I cut my own meat but some of my buddies that hunt that area have had meat cut there and when they have given me meat it was not butchered well. They cut through mussel groups like you would butcher beef, a big no, no for game animals. They don't vacuum pack the meat so you better eat it quick or you will have freezer burn. When we compared an antelope I had butchered and vacuum packed in camp to one of the same size they had processed, there was a whole lot less meat than what I got off mine. I separate every mussel group and fillet off all the membrane. I bring a table for butchering, my vacuum packer, and my meat grinder with me, it is well worth it when you look at what you get from those boys.

BigMass, The place i'm refering to has been take over from some in the same location that did not do very good work. Last year was their first season back in business. My meat and grind was very well wrapped, first in plastic, then in butcher paper and frozen for the trip home.

I'm thinking the reports you have are from the previous owners. If not, we'll have to disagree on the quality of service and the end product that, IMO, this great little business provides.

Joey

My wife and I shot 2 antelope near Rawlins last fall and had Trails West mount her buck. Tom did an outstanding job and we got the mount delivered in February. The meat cutter next door did an excellent job on our two bucks. In fact we just had some tonight for dinner and it is still holding up well after about 11 months. We are going back again in October and plan on using them again.

I would like to thank all of you that responded I'm getting on the phone and checking some of the shops you mentioned. My Taxi did great work but it is unfortunate if he will ever regain full use of his injured arm and hand and certainly won't take work for a while.

Thank You Again I'll post some pictures if I happen to drop one of the three antelope I have been trying to keep an eye on.

Rick

Call Charlie Thompsen with Laramie Taxidermy Best around by far. He has been doing our stuff for 30 yrs. We also just sent over 17 animals from Africa. Tell him Kevin with Diamond J sent ya 307-745-9659

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom