Taxidermists!

P

PotatoWhisperer

I've been in the hunt for a taxidermist here in Phx...AZ. I've found some good ones, but they are way toooo expensive. I got my first mount done last year. I mounted my first antelope. I shot it in Wyoming, and had the guy there in town do it. Semmed reasonably priced and he did a GREAT job...and only took 8 months. The same job here would of cost a couple hundred more and at least another 6 months waiting. Question is: Does anyone here use out of state taxidermists? And if so...could they recommend? I'm thinking that for the quality of work and the price, it would be worth it to ship my future trophys somewhere.

Thanks...

Scott G.

I personally will pay whatever I have to if the work is top quality. It usually comes down to you get what you pay for.
Jer

I paid $400 for a shoulder mount, and the detail and quality is excellent...here in Phx and shoulder will run from $500-$700 for the same thing...

I disagree with you get what you pay for...most cases yes, but I do beleive you can still find good prices for quality work. I might just stay with the guy in Wyoming, unless I find someone else!

Any others???

Scott G.

There is a guy in Tucson that does really good work and gets mounts out quick. I have his number here, I'll look for it but I have clients that have used him and all are really happy, one guy had his desert sheep life sized there and my client says it look awesome! Drummond

Please let me know when you find it. I'd like to tlak to him.

Thanks,

Scott

Don't exactly agree that you get what you pay for. We have a world reknown taxidermist "studio" here in Colorado (Jonas Taxidermy) that charges around $575 for a deer shoulder mount. Thats ridiculous, what a ripoff....in my opinion. My guy does better work and is $200 less. The only kicker is it costs him about $175.00 in crating and shipping to send it to you, then again the other place charges over $200 for the same service..

Kilowatt...I responded...thanks!

DeerKing- PM me and fill me in on details. I'd be interested in knowing about the guy you know...I have no problem paying $400 total for a good mount.

Scott G.

PW
He charges $375 for a deer ($200 less than the other place), then $175 or so for shipping. So your still looking at around $550. He does "A" quality work though. I'll send you a few things he's done for me if you want.....

DK- Please do...I'd be interested in seeing what he's done for you. Still, that's not bad considering...I wonder if there's a way we could get the shipping cost down?

Scott G.

Here's a tool to use if you are looking for probably almost anything.
Go to the following: www.infospace.com
Click on the Yellow Pages, then type in Taxidermy, then go and type in what ever state you want to look up and it will have a list af every Taxidermist listed in the state also noticed a Tannery list too.

Potatowhisperer,
Have you tried WildLife Creations Here in Glendale, I had my elk done and a Javelina half mount and he is currently doing the lion that i just got last month and have had excellent results in the past, He did a Mule Deer shoulder mount that my dad had shot like 40 Years ago and was falling apart and it was about 425.00 and I had to buy another cape from him to do it with which he charged 75.00 so all in all it was 500.00 which I didnt think was bad at all, My elk shoulder mount bugling was 600.00 he did them both at the same time and I got a 10 month turn around on them, He has a studio in his shop and does some really nice work stop by and check it out if in the area, or if you would like I could maybe post a pic of them.

smiley-faces-toast-beers.gif

Tagline

Tag-

Never heard of them...I would like more info. And yes, please post the pics if you can! Thanks

Scott G.

Tag: I would like to see pictures as well. I hope I have a monster Coues buck in a few weeks that I want mounted.........Thanks, .......Allen Taylor......

Potato and Bura,
I'll break out the digital and take a couple shots and put them up for ya

Tagline

P-Dub and Bura,
Sorry it took so long to get these up, These pictures are a bit grainy and really doesn't do much justice for the guy, But I'm not the best photogragher either so I hope they help in some way, He does really good work,I also have a half mount Javelina and a fox rug done by him as well as a couple of ducks, He also does fish but my fish were all done by someone else out of cottonwood, I dont have any brochures or anything else I can send ya but he is located in Glendale, He is just north of Thunderbird Rd on 51st ave and has a nice studio so if you are in the area ya might drop by and check him out,

Muley6x5.jpg

Elk6x6.jpg

Tagline

Tag: Thanks for the pictures, I will look him up this week and hopefully need his services in a few weeks when I get back from Mexico...... Allen Taylor......

HOLY CRAP!!! You guys sure pay a fortune for taxidermy down there in the States!! Here in B.C. I can get a great quality deer shoulder mount for $325 CND (approx $175 US). My buddy just got his HUGE moose shoulder mount back and it cost him about $850 CDN (approx $500 US). MAN!! If I had to pay the prices you poor guys do, my wife would never let me get anything mounted!!

willyqbdc-

Does your guy accept work from the US? Can you post some pics of his work?

Scott G.

PW
These guys are supposed to be the best around. http://www.taxidermystudios.com/ . At least around here. A friend of mine has had some ducks done by them, and they turned out GREAT. I have seen a lot of their work at the sports shows, they win a lot of blue ribbons.
Later...Christian

Potato... I don't know if she would accept work from the US, I don't see why not. But, if you figure in the cost of shipping the cape and antlers up here and then back down there, I don't know if it would be much cheaper. In addition you would have to aquire something called a C.I.T.E.S. permit and I'm not entirely sure what is involved in getting one of those either. If your still interested let me know and I'll talk to her to see what I can find out. Any pics would have to be e-mailed to you, as I don't know how to post them directly on the board here.

Chris

willyqbc- send the pics to [email protected]

Do you have a phone number so I can call and ask them if they're willing to look into it?

Thanks.

Wingshooter- I'll check it out...thanks!

Scott G.

I had a whitetail killed in Texas mounted by a guy in Abilene. The mount cost $400 did a great job. He charged $40 for shipping. Killed in Nov., got it back in early May.

FYI In the Cody area there are lots of taxiderms. Three that I personally have experience with are in the $400-450 for a der shoulder mount. They try to have a 6-9 mo. turn around time.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Dan Herring in Thermopolis, Wyo does great work too. Don't know what his prices are but here is his phone if anybody is interested. 307-864-9238 FAX 307-864-2425

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom