TC Impact Loads

CHWino_1

New to the muzzy page, but not MM. Hoping to draw a CO muzzy elk tag this year after many years as a CA wine farmer that could never hunt in September, until now in retirement.

I just bought the TC Impact and am interested in CO compliant loads. I'm considering power belts or good old maxi balls. Would appreciate any help here.

Oh also have a TC Express .50 sidelock, but more interested in the inline/209 primer rigs. Thanks.

I’ve killed quite a few elk with my muzzys. I wouldn’t consider Powerbelts adequate for elk - they’re too soft. I personally wouldn’t even use them on deer. Lead conicals like the No Excuse conicals would be fine. Better yet, I’d see how your rifle shoots the Thor copper bullets with Blackhorn 209. I’d try a load of about 100 gr by volume of BH209 and work up in 5 gr increments to 120 gr to see what shoots best. Get the Thor sizing pack first to find the best fit for your bore.

Well we're getting settled here in Lakeside AZ (about 8 miles from Show Low) and obviously our life is pretty chaotic at the moment. I'd say about 85% unpacked and squared away. I've located what sounds like an amazing shooting range.....just need to get more settled in the new place.

It will depend on whether your Impact will shoot conicals or not. Because of the QLA, it may or may not. I too would not be using powerbelts. However, they might be one of the only bullets that shoot well out of your gun.

First order of business: locate primers and powder. Primers have been hard to find and powder choices have been limited.

BH 209 is what I use in my gun but it is almost impossible to find. So you may have to use 777 or pyrodex, as they are about all that is available right now.

Of those 2, I generally like 777, but it’s best to use those with “weaker” primers like: Winchester 777 primers or Remington clean bore. If you can’t find those, you will just have to put with the crude ring issue

As far as bullets, Thors are a great bullet and No Excuses would be a good bullet to try. Others to try would be Hornady bore driver and Federal B.O. R. lock bullets.

Regardless of the bullet, I prefer a bigger bullet bullet for elk. 290+ gr if copper, and 350+ if lead/lead alloy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom