Tehachapi travel

oilcan

Long Time Member
Heading to Colorado tomorrow I live in the bay area and we usually just head over the Sierras on I80. With all the snow forecast in the sierras along with Elko and salt lake area we are considering taking the southern route down to Bakersfield and over through Las Vegas. They are calling for snow in the Tehachapi‘s tomorrow, have any of you Southern California guys had any issues getting over the Tehachapi’s with it snowing . Will they close the pass or will they let you go through with snow tires or chains ?
Thanks

I live in Tehachapi, I don’t consider it Southern California but the southern tip of central California. Much the less it isn’t supposed to start snowing until tomorrow afternoon and if they close the 58 freeway it will be closed to everything regardless of chains, AWD or 4x4. It’s either open or closed. I think you should be just fine to go through the pass though I’m not predicting it to be enough snow to shut the freeway down but if you can leave early tomorrow it would be a safe bet.

Thanks Brad we should be rolling through there around 10 in the morning.
Should be golden, I will try and remember to update this in the morning when I’m in route to work but you should be good to go if you get through the pass before noon

Thanks I appreciate that. The other route is getting pounded was not looking forward to driving most of the way in snow.

Thanks I appreciate that. The other route is getting pounded was not looking forward to driving most of the way in snow.
No I have a buddy that lives on the other pass that you would come through and he just sent me a pic of about 3-4 inches in his front yard and not lifting. He said the pass should get a foot or more tonight.

You're still in southern California whether you like it or not lol
Nope I refuse to be lumped into that crap shoot! I live on the edge of the sierras so there for I’m central California haha plus if you measure out the longest point to point of the state then divide it into three equal sections per miles we barely fall into central California.

OilCan we are going to be running out in front of ya, Headed toward SD for those Ditch parrots.

You should be golden to go through the pass as long as someone from so cal in there tesla on there way to mammoth doesn’t crash because CHP if they get an accident on the pass they just call to shut it down, they don’t play games with it. You should be good though it was a lite dusting was all.

Good luck I wish I was going to Colorado and normally would be let us know how you do

We always stop in Tehachapi for gas on our way out west. Tehachapi is a beautiful area. You are lucky to live there Brad....

Yeah great town to live in for being within California. Unfortunately growing up here I have seen a lot of change not for the better but I’m sure many have the same feelings about where they grew up.

Brad thanks for the advice made it through with zero issues. A couple guys went the other route
And it as a nightmare.

I've done the Bay Area to Colorado drive a few times, and I understand your concerns about the Tehachapi Pass. Dealing with snow on the road can be a real adventure. From what I've experienced, they usually try to keep the pass open, but it's wise to have snow tires and chains just in case. Weather conditions can change rapidly, so checking real-time updates before you start your journey is crucial. If the pass becomes treacherous, they might temporarily close it for safety reasons.I remember one time when I took the southern route through Bakersfield and Las Vegas due to similar concerns. It added some extra hours to the trip, but it was a safer choice given the weather conditions. So, it's a good option to consider if the Tehachapi Pass looks dicey. If you're looking for an interesting stop along the way, you might consider checking out Si Como No. It's a cool place to relax and enjoy the journey.

Yeah great town to live in for being within California. Unfortunately growing up here I have seen a lot of change not for the better but I’m sure many have the same feelings about where they grew up.
Why the hell is Boron gas so much more than Tehachapi gas?? LOL

I’m sold on the southern route to Colorado now. Two more weeks I’ll be taking it again, from my house it adds about 30 minutes Well worth it. I just got back from my Nevada Elk hunt and I80 west bound had snow on the road at Donner causing some issues.

Been taking Hwy 58 on my way to my Nov. elk hunt in Colorado for 23 years. We've had snow on a couple trips but hwy has always been in good shape. We're rolling on the 5th, can't wait.

I've done the Bay Area to Colorado drive a few times, and I understand your concerns about the Tehachapi Pass. Dealing with snow on the road can be a real adventure. From what I've experienced, they usually try to keep the pass open, but it's wise to have snow tires and chains just in case. Weather conditions can change rapidly, so checking real-time updates before you start your journey is crucial. If the pass becomes treacherous, they might temporarily close it for safety reasons.I remember one time when I took the southern route through Bakersfield and Las Vegas due to similar concerns. It added some extra hours to the trip, but it was a safer choice given the weather conditions. So, it's a good option to consider if the Tehachapi Pass looks dicey. If you're looking for an interesting stop along the way, you might consider checking out Si Como No. It's a cool place to relax and enjoy the journey.
I'm seriously curious.....does someone pay you to sneak in links that no one here is dumb enough to click on?

to Heading to Colorado tomorrow I live in the bay area and we usually just head over the Sierras on I80. With all the snow forecast in the sierras along with Elko and salt lake area we are considering taking the southern route down to Bakersfield and over through Las Vegas. They are calling for snow in the Tehachapi‘s tomorrow, have any of you Southern California guys had any issues getting over the Tehachapi’s with it snowing . Will they close the pass or will they let you go through with snow tires or chains ?
Thanks
Watch out for the price of gas down there $6.50 to$7.00 for premium and $7.75 for diesel. Went down for $500 and came back through Nevada for $275 quite a difference. We braved the snow and saved then bucks

Fastrip in Arvin is always cheap....we tend to go up to Bakersfield and catch the 58 there. Our luck we get behind a worker not wanting to break 50 mph from 99 to Arvin. Always fun to listen to a little Buck Owens driving through Bako.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom