Tell ME they don't appreciate our troops and efforts........

F

freedivr2

Thought you guys might appreciate this (any questions on whose troops this is meant for, the weapon in bronze sure ain't an AK47). Anyway, here's the story, and I'd like to add....Well done!

This statue was made by an Iraqi artist named Kalat, who for years was forced by Saddam Hussein to make the many hundreds of bronze busts of Saddam that dotted Baghdad.

It is currently on display outside the Iraqi palace that is now home to the 4th Infantry division. It will eventually be shipped and shown at the memorial museum in Fort Hood, Texas.

This artist was so grateful that the Americans liberated his country; he melted 3 of the fallen Saddam heads and made a memorial statue dedicated to the American soldiers and their fallen comrades. Kalat has been working on this night and day for several months.

To the left of the kneeling soldier is a small Iraqi girl giving the soldier comfort as he mourns the loss of his comrade in arms.

My question, even though it's mostly rhetorical...Wonder why we don't hear about this in the national news reports?

post-72-1090297931.jpg[\img]

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-04 AT 11:33PM (MST)[p]Thats an interesting story, and question. I will just leave it at that.
Michael

You didn't see it on mainstream media because it's largely an urban legend.

There is an artist named Kalat, and he did make the sculpture. But that's where it breaks down. Kalat hates Americans, he's had a relative killed in a rocket attack. He was commissioned by the Americans to build the statue. He quoted a high price, explaining the price of bronze made it expensive. The Americans said they'd supply the bronze, and got Kalat down to $8000. They passed the hat amongst the troops and raised quite a bit of money for the sculpture. We got the bronze by knocking down a few Saddam statues and melting them down. Note WE knocked down the statues and supplied the bronze, not the artist. The little girl was an afterthought, when approached, Kalat charged them an extra $10,000 for the little girl. Replied one officer "he learned capitalism very quickly."

Now this being said, it is a very nice sculpture, and was done in the manner most sculptures are done - by commission. But to say it was done by a grateful Iraqi is complete fabrication.

Thanks for straightening out that story. But I'd venture to say he was a grateful Iraqui for the fact that he learned quickly how subcontractors stick it to prime contractors when changes are proposed to the original contract :)

Bottom line, though, is that it does appear to be quite a piece of work and commemorates the ultimate sacrafice that our countrymen and women continue to give in the name of freedom.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom