Texas Axis Recommendations

G-Hought3

Hey everyone,
I’m looking to do an axis deer hunt for my wife and I sometime in the next few months. Most likely decided on Texas as I figure it’s probably a lot cheaper than Hawaii considering paying for flights and luggage. Any recommendations on a good outfitter that you have been with before? I don’t really want to book something without some good recommendations first.
Thanks!

West Texas Hunting
Mike McKinny
915 328 0645

Call Mike. I’ll bet he can help you out. He’s a good guy. Advertises here on the site. Been in business for quite a while. I’m not sure they hunt Axis, but probably. They hunt a bunch of critters down there.

Mike does do axis. I know he has some big free range bucks... may have some high-fence places, as well.

I hunted with Mike for aoudad a few years ago. He knows his stuff and does his best to make sure you have a great hunt.

I have heard some reports that axis did not survive the cold well this past week. Need to research that a bit before you make a decision. This picture was supposedly taken during the past week as a result of the prolonged ice and snow. But I don’t know if it is legit or not.

FA4E1947-A882-4AD3-8E81-B41DE5CA242F.jpeg

I am hearing the same. Saw a bunch of pics from folks I know. Pretty sure they got hammered extra hard.

The pictures and reports are legit. Unfortunately a deer from India does not fare well in the snow and freezing temps.

In 2019 many Axis and whitetail suffered and died from Anthrax. Naturally occurring in the soil, Anthrax will make an appearance every so often when rain and heat conditions are just right.

Do your homework and find a ranch that didn't suffer Anthrax or frozen Axis.

I hunted Canyon Ranch out of Sonora Texas. They had hundreds of Axis on their 30k acre ranch. Selecting which one you wanted was the game.

The meat is the best on earth. Often considered the top table fare of any game animal.

My daughter got one that measured 32".

20191009_093707.jpg

My ranch is very close to Sonora and we got hammered by ice and snow for a week. The pic I sent was supposedly taken near there too. I have not been able to get out there and asses the damage yet. Too wet

On a better note, the whitetail seemed to have done pretty well I think they eating snow for water come naturally to them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom