Texas Draw 2020

HaHa. Told my wife I was going to put in for alligator, but with 0 points I didn't think I would draw. She laughed and said even if I drew, there was 0 chance I'd get to go. Saved my $3 for a beer. :)

"I drew Texas pronghorn, with 0 points. Can somebody tell me where to find a B&C buck? I only have one day to hunt!"

Oh sorry, just day dreaming. Pending 2nd once again for me.

I had 19 bonus point for antelope but put in with my son and nephew so the average was 9 points...pending second draw as usual. Perhaps I will get lucky in the other draws?? Drew mule deer at Caprock last year, that was first draw success in several years.

Another draw comin up tomorrow and it's a big one i'd guess...

Archery Deer
Archery Mule Deer
Exotic
Javelina

Here's hoping for some Axis!

Sweet! Just seen that I drew not one but two National Refuge Archery Deer hunts! The hunts partially overlap so may have to pick one over the other :unsure:

Well all my TPWD apps say “Pending Second Draw”. I think that might as well say “not this year sucker!” Congrats if you drew.

I drew Archery Exotic for Garner State Park in February 2021. Not too excited as I was praying for the gun muley tag... Oh well, better start practicing flinging sticks!

Nada for myself as well. Oh well, this was the one year I didn't want to draw the Yoakum Dunes hunt since I had already committed to helping a buddy on his first mule deer hunt in Kansas.

I drew the Black Gap Archery mule deer hunt in Mid Nov. I think the elephant mountain hunt last year had a 6% success rate. Gulp. They didn't even publish the black gap odds. I think that may be most drawn hunters have never hunted mule deer and have no idea how to get high and glass, bed them then go wait them out. I am hoping anyway. It's also an insanely short hunt for archery mule deer, 2 and two half days. Been slinging arrows, but not hitting the gym with covids. Be nice couple days camped out in the desert worst case.

I drew the Black Gap Archery mule deer hunt in Mid Nov. I think the elephant mountain hunt last year had a 6% success rate. Gulp. They didn't even publish the black gap odds. I think that may be most drawn hunters have never hunted mule deer and have no idea how to get high and glass, bed them then go wait them out. I am hoping anyway. It's also an insanely short hunt for archery mule deer, 2 and two half days. Been slinging arrows, but not hitting the gym with covids. Be nice couple days camped out in the desert worst case.
Drew that tag in 18. Shot a small buck but was proud to have him! I was the only one that shot one that year. My buddy got a javelina. It was not that tough of a hunt really. I stalked in on three bucks and made up my mind anyone that stood was getting it. My luck the smallest one stood first. 3x3. Seen probably 8 bucks in our compartment. Nothing huge biggest maybe 140's. The park ranger said the bow hunt was about 1 every other year. I would say you are definitely correct on the most drawn hunters theory.

IMG_2402.JPG
IMG_2459.JPG
IMG_2438.JPG
IMG_2406.JPG

TXJP thank you for the intel. I am looking at it as an any buck type hunt considering the short time frame.

Yeah, some of the hunts I just cant justify due to the short time frame. Ends up being like 3 days.

The length of hunt, or lack thereof, really is ridiculous. Administrators will usually make a point of letting the hunters know they "allow" these hunts as a privilege to hunters. Texas public land hunting, especially TPWD hosted hunts, truly are a mockery of DIY public land hunting.

DoeNob,
I drew the Black Gap rifle muley tag many moons ago and killed a big bodied muley in late November. He probably scored about 130-140ish but he was the only buck I saw in 2 1/2 of hard hunting. I wish you all the best if you archery hunting muleys in Black Gap as they are tough to hunt as it is BIG COUNTRY with low deer densities. PM me if you have any questions. Best of luck!!!

Odd looking Javi Skull. Old one?
And BTW, they're not bad eating IMO.
I don't think it was an old javelina, it's yellow because I haven't degreased it yet.

I like to eat them too. I made all trail bologna out of this one. One day I want to make tamales from one.

Good for tacos!!!
I was just noticing the lower teeth working their way into
the upper jaw bone, and those creases in the skull.
Looks way different than the one I have.

Good for tacos!!!
I'll have to find my other skull and post a picture of them together. I'm curious now.

Good for tacos!!!
The skull on the left is from 2010 (aged mature by the biologist) and right is from last year. The right skull appears bigger. Left is from South Texas (Chaparral) and Right is Black Gap.

The left skull has much greater teeth wear, they're worn flat.

Skulls.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Texas Guides & Outfitters

West Texas Hunting

Private land free range hunts for native and exotic game on nearly 1 million acres in west Texas.

Urge 2 Hunt

Deer/Elk tags - DIY or guided for all species. Many guaranteed tags for trophy hunts.

Vargo Hunting

300k acres for free range auodad, mule deer, elk, whitetail and all the Texas exotics.

Back
Top Bottom