Texas Draw 2021

TFAvalanche

That time of the year again to see how many rejections I can acquire…. 91 applications for myself, how bout y’all?

lol, I'll do a few this year, timing is not good for me for most hunts. But I will more than likely get a bunch of u suck letters

Not so many this year with all the crap at the border
and my Mom in the last stages of Dementia.
This too, shall pass.

As we accumulate more and more points, I find I'm being more selective on the hunts I apply for. Not living there (or even close) makes risking all the points on an average hunt a down side. Besides, I liked it a lot better when you had to only put in for one hunt per category. Seems we were a lot more successful back then.

As we accumulate more and more points, I find I'm being more selective on the hunts I apply for. Not living there (or even close) makes risking all the points on an average hunt a down side. Besides, I liked it a lot better when you had to only put in for one hunt per category. Seems we were a lot more successful back then.
I agree, liked it better when you could only apply for one hunt per category. spread things around a bit. The state finally saw it as a money maker and changed it.....but like most I have been in it for a while so I am going to stick with it at least it provides an avenue for a hunt!

I liked it better when you had to pick one hunt per category too.

And for some reason, I miss the unsuccessful postcards...unsuccessful now is just boring

Well, unexpected but welcomed. Drew Atascosa and Aransas first archery….
Both are really fun hunts.

I've heard folks say a short tripod stand can be helpful for hunting the brush of both places. Of course you have to haul the thing.

Those hunts separate the men from the boys. I would mount a doe if I killed one at Aransas!

Last edited:
Both are really fun hunts.

I've heard folks say a short tripod stand can be helpful for hunting the brush of both places. Of course you have to haul the thing.

Those hunts separate the men from the boys. I would mount a doe if I killed one at Aransas!
Yeah I’m stoked for the chance at a Nilgai in Atascosa…. Aransas I’m on the fence about after reading the reviews

I've had friends kill nilgai there at Laguna Atascosa. Aransas is a place every hunter should experience at least once.

Atascosa is tough but a fun hunt. Be sure to bring a bike. Will save you hours and hours of time getting around.

Well…. I tried to login in through the email link to pay the fee and kept getting server down error. Called multiple times on Thursday and Friday and nobody would answer. Come Monday lady answers and says my tag was released to the second draw and nothin she can do…
No wonder people hate public hunting in Texas.

If you drew any of the premium gun hunts this morning, you might not want to wait until the last day to get your permit this time!! :)

If you drew any of the premium gun hunts this morning, you might not want to wait until the last day to get your permit this time!! :)
I was down on St Croix for a medical mission, I think the internet service down there had something to do with the problem.

I know your pain with that. When we were in Virgin Gorda a few years ago, I had to have my work phone with me because of a project we had going. It was 1-3 days sometime, before texts and emails were delivered. That same year, I was in Kazhakstan and transfers were almost instantaneous. Go figure!!

I got lucky in the second draw for gun deer but it’s for the White Oak Creek WMA. Anyone have any insights here?
White Oak is going to be fairly thick woods, with a lot of oak trees. A tree stand can be helpful to possible see farther and help with hiding your scent from game.

I would look for acorns and the heaviest used trails in your compartment. There should be lots of pigs so slowly walking can be good for them.

I would probably bring waterproof footwear too.

Been applying for some species up to 14 years and I've never drawn anything. This year shaping up as another repeat.
Starting to drop out on a few as its becoming just not worth it for a 3 day hunt.

I have 19 points in one category! Ever since they started allowing more than one app per category just so they can collect another $3, the draw odds have gone to crap.

They drew bighorn sheep on November 2nd.
Thank you. First time applicant in Texas. Great turn around time! My application status says pending 2nd draw. What does that mean? Don’t get me wrong - I certainly didn’t expect to draw.

Last edited:
All unsuccessful applicants go into pending status. They do a second draw for any permits not purchased after the first draw. The pending status should change November 12th.

I'm sure the 1 bighorn permit has already been accepted.

I apply in a lot of states, but the great State of Texas takes some getting used to. Their desert bighorn success story is pretty amazing.

I was lucky and got drawn for the Spring turkey hunt at San Angelo State Park next April. I drew this same tag about 22 years ago and planning to even the score after getting shut out by the San Angelo Longbeards way back when. This is actually the 3rd time I've drawn a Spring turkey hunt in Texas. Keep on applying and sooner or later your name will get drawn!

How was the Dec Chap hunt other than hot?

The hot weather hampered the deer movement. The most deer in one sitting we saw was 5. Only seen a handful of deer overall. Seen about 5-6 bucks. We hunted till noon or close to noon each day, then took a couple hour break. My grandson shot the best deer we saw, a 7.5 yr old 8 point. We saw him the next to last morning and as we watched him my grandson started mentioning maybe he should shoot him. I didn't encourage or discourage him from shooting. I wanted him to decide. After not seeing any more deer that day and with one day remaining, I started to feel a little guilty for not encouraging him to shoot. The last morning we decided to hunt the same location. Early on we saw a young 8 point. Then later in the morning the mature 8 point showed back up. We finally got situated and we somewhat got the shakes under control he made a great 125-130 yard shot. He was fine till he was about to shoot then got the shakes, then I be damn if I didn't get the shakes after telling him to shake it off and make the shot. ?

I was lucky and got drawn for the Spring turkey hunt at San Angelo State Park next April. I drew this same tag about 22 years ago and planning to even the score after getting shut out by the San Angelo Longbeards way back when. This is actually the 3rd time I've drawn a Spring turkey hunt in Texas. Keep on applying and sooner or later your name will get drawn!

My brother and I scored on 2 BIG mature toms on the first morning. I called them in to within 25 yards from over 1/2 mile away and got it done by 7:15am on a chilly San Angelo morning!

tempImageFB5POB.jpg

tempImagen30hp9.jpg

tempImageIZjNsl.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Texas Guides & Outfitters

West Texas Hunting

Private land free range hunts for native and exotic game on nearly 1 million acres in west Texas.

Urge 2 Hunt

Deer/Elk tags - DIY or guided for all species. Many guaranteed tags for trophy hunts.

Vargo Hunting

300k acres for free range auodad, mule deer, elk, whitetail and all the Texas exotics.

Back
Top Bottom