Texas Forum

So What about discussions of CWMU's in Utah? or landowner tags in Colorado?

A good portion of this forum is public land hunting, but Homer a good deal of people on this forum do hunt or have hunted on private land. Just saying.

Come on now.....there are some nice fellows from Texas who come to our mountains every year. Some even love these mountains more than the bi-coastal libtards who are bringing us woofs.

And if I'm not mistaken there are even mule deer there. Maybe tx58 can help me out there.

I see this forum as a public lands hunting forum.......what does Texas have to offer ??
Quite a bit of public hunting actually
1581343265296.png

Having been to texas a handful of times there are plenty of opportunities to hunt. You ask any joe schmoe if you can hunt axis deer and hogs they tell you have at it! Knock and talk is more accessible than land here in utah for hunting hogs. Whitetails that's a different story.

All in all there is TONS of hunting to be had public AND private just like any other state.

I saw why not create another state forum. People hunt all over and texas is just another place for mule deer, BIG pronghorn and other species.

ALSO doing a quick google. Texas has some 3,300,000 acres of public land. Still a good chunk of land to walk around on.

Last edited:
Having been to texas a handful of times there are plenty of opportunities to hunt. You ask any joe schmoe if you can hunt axis deer and hogs they tell you have at it! Knock and talk is more accessible than land here in utah for hunting hogs. Whitetails that's a different story.

All in all there is TONS of hunting to be had public AND private just like any other state.

I saw why not create another state forum. People hunt all over and texas is just another place for mule deer, BIG pronghorn and other species.

ALSO doing a quick google. Texas has some 3,300,000 acres of public land. Still a good chunk of land to walk around on.
Big Bend NP is the majority of that, not open for hunting. Of the 1 million acres in the Public hunting guide, the majority are dove leases that expire after the first split. The NF land is a short distance from Houston with 5M people. Check out the draw odds for the drawn hunts posted earlier. For example, about 1 in 2500 for antelope last time I checked....but going on standby is surprisingly easy for most hunts that allow it. I am willing to help anyone trying to navigate opportunities, just PM me.

Rita Blanca pronghorn was 6416 applications for 12 permits in 2019.

Texas drawn hunts are difficult to get, but fun. I've won quite a few of them.

Some Texas residents want a NR quota for the draws, but it would only decrease resident odds. I want a random chance at 100% of the tags.

It's not like some western states with low population that actually need some type of quota to ensure their residents draw.

Rita Blanca pronghorn was 6416 applications for 12 permits in 2019.

Texas drawn hunts are difficult to get, but fun. I've won quite a few of them.

Some Texas residents want a NR quota for the draws, but it would only decrease resident odds. I want a random chance at 100% of the tags.

It's not like some western states with low population that actually need some type of quota to ensure their residents draw.
And that draw costs $3 same and WT and Mule Deer. Now that bighorn is big money at $10. Pretty low cost even considering the longer odds.

It's definitely cheap if you apply for only a few hunts, and you don't need a license unless you draw and actually go hunt.

I usually apply for about 90+ hunts per year. I'm doing my part to decrease draw odds. ;)

It's definitely cheap if you apply for only a few hunts, and you don't need a license unless you draw and actually go hunt.

I usually apply for about 90+ hunts per year. I'm doing my part to decrease draw odds. ;)
Haha yea I get the private lands draws plus all the mule deer pronghorn, bighorn, and STX WT's. Used to drill just over the fence from the Daughtrey and there are some monsters in the Choke Canyon country.

Cant win if you don't play right.

Haha yea I get the private lands draws plus all the mule deer pronghorn, bighorn, and STX WT's. Used to drill just over the fence from the Daughtrey and there are some monsters in the Choke Canyon country.

Cant win if you don't play right.
Yep and that one is actually easy to get on standby. My place is close to that and Chaparral so I just go hunt it if not picked on standby...

And once they automated the draw and send it out to everyone who has ever applied, draw odds are very long compared to say 5 years ago.

I have to cross Texas to get almost anywhere West of me and I can assure you that the Sun will rise and set and you will still be in Texas.

I would frequent a Texas forum if there was one. I think there is info to be shared. Especially for the exotics, Axis, Aoudad, Oryx, and of course pigs.

I too think there is info to be shared. Certainly, a lot of Texans are mule deer hunters also and would participate on other forums. I know I would enjoy it.

Texas has some great hunting, but it's private & $$$$ expensive. Leases to individuals or groups & it's become extremely competitive ! Public lands are basically non existent so forget that. I grew up there &'know the score & lived there for years. Texans are some of the nicest & most honest folks anywhere, but their extreme conservatism can at times get in the way of common sense too. They'll help anyone out ! If you're warm & breathing you're hunting & or fishing in Texas. ? Jerry Gold-- Fort Collins, Colorado

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom