Texas Trespassing

fullcry

I got a question for you Texas boys.
Most states say to mark your private property boundaries you must paint the corners or gates.Most guys use Floresent orange or something. I assume Texas is the same way as I have hunted it but don’t remember.
I have heard Texas property owners who paint there boundaries in
PURPLE are saying No Trespassing
But also they don’t like the government.
Not judging, but is this a real thing?
Has anybody heard of this in Texas?

The fence lines are usually the boundaries /markers for a property. Never seen the color painted lines or fence corners either. Not a clue on that. The owners of the property generally know EXACTLY where the lines are & what the fences mean & who owns what property. Have to be very careful & know before you go. I lived there many years & owned property there a long time & grew up in the Hill Country near Fredericksburg, Texas. Jerry Gold in Fort Collins, Colorado ??

Google Purple Paint Law Texas.

Trespassing
How can I properly post my property?
Section 30.05, Texas Penal Code, provides that a person commits an offense if the person enters or remains on property of another without effective consent, and the person:

• had notice that the entry was forbidden, or
  • received notice to depart, but failed to do so.
"Notice" means: an oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner; or fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock; or a sign or signs posted on the property reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden; or the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property. If purple paint is used, then the purple paint must be vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width; placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground; and placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than: 100 feet apart on forest land or 1,000 feet apart on land other than forest land.

Additionally, the visible presence on the property of a crop grown for human consumption that is under cultivation, in the process of being harvested, or marketable if harvested at the time of entry is considered "notice" that entry is forbidden.

Last edited:
I work a bunch of ranches in TX and fences are the normal established lines and are likely to have been so for 100 years of more. Out of 100’s ranches I’ve been on only one or two had painted corner posts and one was purple. I still work that ranch and I’m with the govt when carrying out the work. Most ranchers in TX are down right good folks. I’ve been told many of times I don’t need a piece of paper signed for me to be on their place, cuz by god if I said you can be on the place then that’s the final word!

Ok
I get it.
Most western land owners use paint on the corners and gates as no trespassing.Seems like Florissant anymore.
We all understand that.
I just heard about the purple paint being an extra message that not only is it trespassing
To go on the property bualso a extra meaning of we hate the government.
So it does not seem that rumor is true.
thanks

lol....my Wyoming buddy that gives us the run of his ranch will not give written permission.....he says the same thing about...."my word is gold"...and it is....when I explain the law to him he says..."phuckem....I'll go to court with you"....lol

doesn't make court in Wyoming for me convenient

Wyoming marches to a different drummer for
sure. But I love those wide open spaces loaded with antelope , in most cases. I lived in Cheyenne for 9 years . Wyoming is a very special place indeed. Now I live in Colorado.
Sure different ! Jerry Gold-Ft Collins, Colorado ???

I have a friend that works in Texas.
Hnew job has to stop at different ranches.
They tell him not to go to the ones with purple
Paint.
They are no trespassing but Also ANTI
government.
On a different note We have a Elk rah near Fort Collins in January.
Maybe we will run into you!?

Was on this place yesterday and will ask the 3rd generation owner about the purpose.

D7C912F5-87D0-451C-9B0E-820351DCC519.jpeg

Trespassing laws vary from state to state. Wyoming requires "no trespassing" signs at access points to insure no criminal trespass, your property must be posted. Yes , you are required to have written permission to be on private land but it is easier to prosecute offenders if your land is posted.
Texas allows the use of purple paint instead of No trespassing signs, it doesn't really have anything to do with the hatred of the gov't. The purple paint merely shows the property is posted and you can not trespass.

I hunt deer in Kansas, and a lot of the lands are marked with purple paint. It states in the regs that signs, or purple paint is required to post private property. A lot of people think it is because of that being the colors for Kansas State Univ, but I have never seen an actual reason in print.

I have seen the purple posts in Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.
Lowes sells steel t-post to denote " no trespassing".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Texas Guides & Outfitters

West Texas Hunting

Private land free range hunts for native and exotic game on nearly 1 million acres in west Texas.

Urge 2 Hunt

Deer/Elk tags - DIY or guided for all species. Many guaranteed tags for trophy hunts.

Vargo Hunting

300k acres for free range auodad, mule deer, elk, whitetail and all the Texas exotics.

Back
Top Bottom