Thank a NM Landowner/Rancher

1FastGambler

The drought this year was horrible & in fact still is.

If not for several ranchers who paid the electric bill to run their pumps and pump water for the wildlife AFTER selling off their cattle, our antelope, elk, deer, and all other wildlife would have suffered & died off even worse than they did.

SO a big THANK YOU goes out to those landowners who stepped up to the plate and did what they could to help keep our wildlife alive.

Great point.

Even if they did not do it on purpose, there are drinkers established for livestock all over the place that have helped wildlife not be concentrated around natural water.

In some units, natural springs are few and far between. Units such as 29, 30, 31, 28, 39 just to name a few.

I am sure there are some landowners could not care less about wildlife, but, unintentionally by having those waters out there for their livestock, it allows the deer herds in some areas that are hanging on by a thread to survive.

This drought could have been way way worse than it has been with out those waters.

If you are on this kick then please don't forget to thank the BLM and State game and fish for the hundreds of wildlife watering units that have been constructed throughout the state. Guzzlers, inverted umbrellas, Artesian wells.......

I see where you are coming from but also know that there is a lot of work done by wildlife conservationists as well.

>If you are on this kick
>then please don't forget to
>thank the BLM and State
>game and fish for the
>hundreds of wildlife watering units
>that have been constructed throughout
>the state. Guzzlers, inverted umbrellas,
>Artesian wells.......
>
>I see where you are coming
>from but also know that
>there is a lot of
>work done by wildlife conservationists
>as well.

Absolutely right.

One point missed is, there are land owners that raise elk on THEIR property and run their cattle on public land.
This must be stoped, regardless of water inprovments.More profit in elk than cows.

CC

Your welcome ranchers. You are still able to graze your cattle on my pulicly owned land. You pay pennies on the dollar to raise your livestock on my land. I'm glad our government handouts have helped you to live a life of ease. Even though most of us are locked out of your private grounds we still extend a big "YOUR WELCOME" to you and all you other public welfare participants.

Sincerly yours
Stinkystomper

My well and stock tank are for wildlife,the fence keeps the range cattle out. It benefits wildlife on the surrounding thousands of acres of BLM and state land,which has little or no water on it.

There are slob ranchers just like slob hunters. I have seen plenty of both.

It is stupid to alienate them.

We need the ranchers on our side. Would not be a good thing to have a bunch of hollywood types owning huge chunks of our private land.

>We need the ranchers on our
>side. Would not be
>a good thing to have
>a bunch of hollywood types
>owning huge chunks of our
>private land.

The upside is the Hollywood types wouldn't take landowner tags.

>>We need the ranchers on our
>>side. Would not be
>>a good thing to have
>>a bunch of hollywood types
>>owning huge chunks of our
>>private land.
>
>The upside is the Hollywood types
>wouldn't take landowner tags.

Downside, is that many would not allow hunting. So those hunting private will now hunt public.
In CA the environmentalists will not allow game and fish to maintain guzzlers because the are not natural. These are often the same types as your "hollywood" types.
Forget predator control
When they own big chunks of land they start having political clout on how game is managed.
Careful what you wish for.

Whats the difference?

Hollywood types dont allow hunting or landowners charge out the a$$ for tags. Either way, a majority arent hunting there anyway.

Speaking of "political clout", why is OK for a rancher that peddles LO tags to have "clout" but not for another rancher that doesnt?

Makes no sense, you continue to allow either to have "clout" in game management and the DIY resident and non-residents are screwed.

Time to WAKE UP...the group with the most "clout" should be the group that has the most vested interest in wildlife. The public, and in particular the hunting public.

Its YOUR wildlife...how about hunters grow a set and start taking back, and controling, what is theirs (PUBLIC WILDLIFE).

How we've allowed a ranching and outfitting minority to run over the hunting public is a disgrace...time to start fighting back.

I'm sick of this crap.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-11 AT 01:13PM (MST)[p]"Whats the difference?

Hollywood types dont allow hunting or landowners charge out the a$$ for tags. Either way, a majority arent hunting there anyway."

Uh......Buzz, its called.....P R I V A T E P R O P E R T Y... in a free country your allowed to have that. Think we got it bad here....try hunting TX,KS,IL,IA, and I could go on and on.

We have no choice Buzz..... work with what we've got,... not with what YOU wish we had.

BTW private property tags ain't all that bad. If I had not been drawn I would have laid down $600 for a bull tag in a pretty decent unit wide LO area. And I see cow tags for around $250 every year.

Now.... ya want a little cheese with that whine...... ;>)

Oh lemme guess.....your not a resident here are you?

I never said it wasnt their right to do what they want on their private property.

My disagreement comes with the way they man-handle PUBLIC wildlife, that they DO NOT own.

Hunters/Citizens do have a choice to determine how THIER public wildlife is managed. It does take a few firing brain cells and a set of balls though.

BTW, private property tags suck. Just good old-fashioned welfare...no two ways about it.

Isnt it great to live in a state that forces you to pay another citizen $600 as a resident to hunt elk there? Or $250 for a cow permit?

What a joke.

I'll take my $52 resident OTC elk tag and $43 cow/calf tag rather than pay for a ranchers vacation via state sanctioned extortion...

YMMV.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-11 AT 09:45AM (MST)[p]"Isnt it great to live in a state that forces you to pay another citizen $600 as a resident to hunt elk there? Or $250 for a cow permit?

What a joke.

I'll take my $52 resident OTC elk tag and $43 cow/calf tag rather than pay for a ranchers vacation via state sanctioned extortion..."

Who is being forced Buzz?!?!?!? Again its something called free will. Dude you sound like a commie. Your posts all have that sound of "the people" like "the peoples republic of North Korea". What are you a watermelon.....green on the outside red on the inside?

Yes....I might have freely paid to hunt private property if I had exhausted every other means of getting a tag.

Seems like the ones doing the most bitchin here are the out of Staters who are pissed now that NM finally figured out that they were the ONLY state left that had a sweeetheart deal for the out of staters. Just a reminder Buzz.....we dont need you or your type here.

GO AWAY.....AND TAKE YOUR WHINE WITH YOU.

There are ten thousand other out of staters who will gladly run the gauntlet to take your place. Just watch the outdoor channel Buzz.... NM is so hyped for elk tags its pitiful. Saw a poll on archery talk recently asking what the members dream hunt would be. Elk hunting in NM was the going away winner of that poll.

And yes us Citizen/Hunters of NM are fed up with people like YOU who feel so ENTITLED to hunt here every year. Thats how WE choose to manage it.

vichris,

Thats a nice rant you just put up...funny stuff for sure, in particular the commie talk.

I wonder how welfare tags given to LO's and Outfitters isnt a social program????

Its fantastic that the LO's and Outfitters hold your tags hostage and if you "choose" to hunt, you pay out the a$$ to buy them, even as a RESIDENT.

NM doesnt have a sweetheart deal for NR's when compared to other states. How about Colorado? OTC tags for NR's at a reasonable price. How about Wyoming? Guaranteed 25% of all sheep, goat, moose, deer and elk tags in all units for all hunts go to NR's. How about over 50% of all antelope tags going to NR's? How about MT? 17,000 elk/deer cominbination tags with 100% draw success.

New Mexico limiting NR's to 6% of the available tags? Thats a "sweetheart" deal?

Laffin'...

But, like I said, if you want to pay $250 for a fuggin' cow tag so you can manage the herd for a landowner and/or outfitter, go for it.

I've a good idea, that a vast majority of NM residents are much smarter than you (which wouldnt take much) and realize that they're getting bent over when it comes to tag allocations.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-11 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-11 AT 09:32?AM (MST)

Buzz how about some logic.....WY and MT have more animals than people and they're begging people to go hunt there....they need the $$..... CO has a quarter of a million elk.....damn straight they offer OTC tags.....they need to keep em under control. Oh and make sure you pack ALL of your cold weather gear and your mud bogging vehicals....you'll need em.

See Buzz we really know why folks wanna hunt here. We have the absolute best weather here for hunting elk.....we've got limited numbers of most big game (but good to excellent quality) and too many people wanting to hunt HERE.

I've never been a rancher/landowner but I have enough sense to respect private property and also understand that most ranchers/landowners are good stewards of their land and the game that spend some part of their lives on that private land. You've got the same issues in CO....you just prefer to bury your head in the sand. Tons of private property in CO only accessable to those willing to pay the price.

Uh and Buzz where are those NM resident takin up your side of this arguement??? Ya we all want more tags and were gonna get them. Sorry you wont be hunting here every year anymore. Membership has its privledges.

Oh and one last thing Buzz the last 2 times I've hunted private property the landowners GAVE me the permits I only had to make my welfare payment (tags) to the state. I often stop by and ask to hunt property and I've been given written permission more often than turned down. And you might want to familurize your self with the 10th commandment...you know the one about not coveting your neighbors goods....and I'm talking about his property and the right to control his property ....NOT the creatures that live on it.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom