Thanks NM for the oryx...

BuzzH

Long Time Member
Drew the OIL oryx on a party application with a friend from AZ.

Had a good hunt, good time, and we both took oryx.

My buddy with his, 32 inches on both horns, one shot at 417 yards with a 257 wby.

IMG_1515.JPG

Last morning of the hunt, I decided on this one. Shot at 152 yards with a 7RM, one shot. Horns are 38 inches...

IMG_1522_1_.JPG

BuzzH,

Congrats to both of you and yours is really a dandy.

You should really be thankful for New Mexico being so generous to non-resident hunters and your opportunity on an equal footing with the resident hunters by having an equal drawing chance at these once in a life time trophies.

Thank you for supporting our NMGFD with the $1695 license and tag times 2 for a whopping $3390 from you and your friend from AZ. This goes along way to funding our Game Dept. and at the same time keeps the license fees cheap (subsidizes) for the average joe resident hunters.

The many business owners thank you for spending your out of state money for motels, cafes, gas stations and etc. For every dollar you spend it has a multiplying affect x 3 which helps keep our business communities and especially the rural areas, economically viable.

At least you didn't have to use a nasty old subsidized outfitter, although many guide on the WSMR.

Yes BuzzH you are somewhat of a hypocrite when it comes to "State Rights" in letting non-resident hunters share in the public's wildlife.

I'm proud to be a "d...bag" outfitter in NM and AZ.

Delmag...my buddy took his orange off for the photos, I usually do the same, not sure why I didnt.

Actually, because of all the internet police, I usually take some with and without orange to squash this very kind of accusatory situation.

stoney,

This is a perfect DIY hunt...no guide needed.

BuzzH,

I was not "hacking" on you, rather I just remember from my hunt there in 2011, how they made it seem like they would hunt you down anywhere in the country for the smallest violation. Like taking any photos of the area. Little anal on the rules IMO there! Once again congratulations!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-14 AT 04:04PM (MST)[p]Just a question, no judgement because I personally don't care either way. But I thought it was pretty much solid rule that you have to leave your orange on anytime you are on the range? I was scared to even shed cloths because it required me taking my orange vest off. lol

Congrats on the Oryx! Both awesome animals to be proud of.

Travis

Buzz,

That was my point. Most people don't need a guide and you got a nice Oryx. I was just being facetious because of your general hatred for outfitters, because they in your feeble attempt to justify your existence, make money off of "your" wildlife. The hunter whom has the license has nothing do to with the equation according to you, just those damn ole outfitters making money off the wildlife. I think they call it service and that is what they provide. The hunter takes the animal. Pretty simple once you think about it, huh BuzzH.

There are a couple of NM guide services that specialize in trophy oryx and they usually lead their clients to the biggest oryx taken on any given hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-14 AT 06:35PM (MST)[p]stoney,

You need to pull your head out of your a$$.

I never once said there was no room for outfitters. There absolutely is.

But, what is complete BS is any sort of situation where outfitters are guaranteed licenses, species that require outfitters, or things like Wyomings wilderness guide law.

All of those are exploiting not only the publics wildlife resources, but also the NR hunters who are given no choice in hiring an outfitter or not.

NV, NM, WY, AK, CO, UT, all have programs that assure outfitters clients via legislative gerry-mandering and bullchit programs like RFW, transferable LO tags, etc.

If you cant see why some people are opposed to such crap...well, then feel free to carry on with your agenda.

It always amazes me that the hard core of the right scream about "free markets" and "getting government out of business"...then support programs that create nothing close to a free market situation.

All of the above States and situations I mentioned have allowed the State Government to pass legislation that takes away hunter choices and a free market.

Unbelievable.

BTW, while I didnt ask at the check station, Gilbert mentioned that my oryx was "beyond nice" and about as good as they get...I probably spanked all the outfitters out there.

Maybe I'll shoot Gilbert an email...

BuzzH,

You did take a very nice oryx and it could very well be the biggest of the hunt. Good job.

You see everything in black and white and don't take into the time, effort and considerations of each states' particular management plans. I know you don't think all outfitters are bad or shouldn't exist, but you have made it very plain you are against many, whom you haven't taken the time to fully understand or deny what is the true situation in every state.

I am with you on WY wilderness law I think that is a disgrace for the most part, although last year here in the Gila Wilderness with the fires, flooding and such I witnessed many non guided guys wishing and begging that they had some help. God what a mess. Overall though everyone should be able to hunt wilderness on their own is they think they are competent enough. The Forest Service looks at it that way and it is wilderness and you are a big boy and you are on your own.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom