That Was Quick!

philthy

It's hard to believe, but I was done by 10 AM on opening day and I'm officially out of the bighorn ram business. We watched this guy climb out of the gorge and walk a half mile across the flats. It took two shots from my 6.5cm because the 140 grain accubonds blew up on the near shoulder! I'll never trust that bullet again. We didn't see any bruiser rams, but I'm super happy with this old beat up guy with a face full of grey hairs!

20200810_110840.jpg

20200810_110916.jpg

20200810_110601.jpg

Most shoulder bone shots require a second shot regardless of the bullet. Must have got Sheep fever and pulled the shot and hit too far forward. ???

Congrats Philthy!!! Beautiful ram! Let me guess, that was your ram that Paul from Imperial was fleshing on FB? Interesting you had a problem with the accubonds, we have taken oryx and elk with nosler accubonds with one shot kills without any problems.

When is the poolside bbq?

Awesome Ram and congrats on a great hunt.
FYI I have had an accubond from a 270Win explode on impact also. Bullets sometimes do weird things especially when shooting hide/tissue/bone. I do prefer Berger’s for most my hunts now though.

Congrats! Know a guy that killed a ram last year on the same unit. Used a .257-06 110 gr AB. One shot double lung.

Congrats Philthy!!! Beautiful ram! Let me guess, that was your ram that Paul from Imperial was fleshing on FB? Interesting you had a problem with the accubonds, we have taken oryx and elk with nosler accubonds with one shot kills without any problems.

When is the poolside bbq?

Lol Carlos! Yeah, that was my sheep he was fleshing out yesterday. I swore by Accubonds since they've worked perfectly in 180s through my 300wsm. I'll let you know when the party is!

Mossback, it was 108 yards. The darnest thing was this sheep had jumped over a 4 foot sheep fence with 2 strands of barbwire about 5 minutes before I shot. Believe it or not, he plowed through a section between two T posts and took all the wire out. I couldn't imagine being on the business end of those horns lol.?

Lol Carlos! Yeah, that was my sheep he was fleshing out yesterday. I swore by Accubonds since they've worked perfectly in 180s through my 300wsm. I'll let you know when the party is!

Mossback, it was 108 yards. The darnest thing was this sheep had jumped over a 4 foot sheep fence with 2 strands of barbwire about 5 minutes before I shot. Believe it or not, he plowed through a section between two T posts and took all the wire out. I couldn't imagine being on the business end of those horns lol.?
Ya I definitely agree with that! At 108 yards, you would think the bullets would have no issues. Either way, you have yourself an awesome ram!

Congrats Philthy!!! Beautiful ram! Let me guess, that was your ram that Paul from Imperial was fleshing on FB?

I was guessing the same thing.

I picked up my 2019 ram from Paul a couple of weeks ago and can't stop looking at it on the wall. Fantastic work.

Congratulations on a nice ram, Philthy. How did he age and green score?

Most awesome, Phil. That is a beautiful ram--so happy for you.

You were No. 2 in NM; I'm going to be No. 3... :)

Last edited:
Nice ram congrats, just one question though. If it was not the Brute ram you were looking for why did you take this one in the 1st few hours of a 15 day hunt?

Nice ram congrats, just one question though. If it was not the Brute ram you were looking for why did you take this one in the 1st few hours of a 15 day hunt?

The auction tag holder shot a 167 ram the Monday before and they had 5 guides looking. Lots of really young rams everywhere and the only big one i saw screwed up by going over to the Pueblo and getting killed a couple weeks ago. To be honest, the character of my ram sold me. He just missed the book, but he aged 9+. Whoever draws that hunt in 4 or 5 years is gonna have lots of big rams to choose from!

Congratulations beautiful ram! That’s so awesome. Sounds like you have drawn and killed a rocky and desert. That’s insane. What did your ram tape out at ?

Beautiful ram! Congrats. I have had issues with Accubonds as well. They seem to work well in some cases and not in others. I have gone back to partitions in my elk loads.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom