The Avalanche Man

BeanMan

Long Time Member
My Father passed away last Saturday night, it is an event which has rocked my world, i hesitated about posting it here, so here goes. He was 86 and he and my Mother had been married 65 years. My Mom is till with us. Dad served as a Marine during the Korean conflict. He initially attended the University of Colorado and became a memeber of The Rocky Mountain Rescue group, my Mom was also a member and met during a rescue. They married and then moved to Oregon where Dad got a degree in Forestry and then a job as the USFS Snow Ranger for the Berthoud Pass, Winter Park, A-Basin, and Loveland ski areas. He made a career out of The Forest Service and Snow Science where he founded the first regional avalanche forecasting program in the nation that later became The Colorado Avalanche Information Center. He raised three boys and was a great Father. I pent a lot of time on skis and around avalanche control with him.
I’ll share this that a friend and colleague wrote about him. Deep Powder and Steep Slopes Dad, I love you and miss you.

Art Judson
Written by Ron Perla September 5, 2016

Once upon a time there were a small number of ski mountaineers employed by the US Forest Service. They were called snow rangers. They are nearly extinct.
They arose early, almost every winter morning, and spent their day protecting the public from avalanches. They studied snow, weather, and avalanche activity, they closed and opened ski runs and highways, they tossed explosives or fired artillery to release avalanches, they issued public warnings. When all else failed and an avalanche struck, they mobilized for the rescue operation.
Art Judson, known to many of us as Jud started as a pioneer USFS Snow Ranger at Berthoud Pass, working with legendary, Dick Stillman, both trying to win a battle against Colorado’s notorious deep slab avalanches. Like all the dedicated few on the front lines facing the avalanche hazard, Jud had his share of the inevitable narrow escapes. Later, he brought his real world, avalanche experiences to the USFS Experiment Station, Fort Collins, where he became a dedicated research scientist in Pete Martinelli’s Alpine Snow and Avalanche Project, destined to become the USFS National Avalanche Project. Thus, Jud belonged to the highly select few who in one lifetime could call themselves research scientists and snow rangers.
Jud was a few years ahead of me in all respects. When I started a parallel career at Alta, Utah in 1966, we didn’t have a large pedagogy of avalanche research to build on. We studied with great interest Jud’s growing list of contributions, published in scientific journals and international conference proceedings, especially his work on the properties of alpine snow. Eventually, we performed our own Alta measurements of alpine snow properties with financial support from Pete’s Project, and building upon the earlier research of Pete and Jud.
One of our main Alta problems was a road beneath a nasty group of avalanche paths. Jud took a giant step to help. He traveled to Canada to observe the avalanche forecasting and control program for the newly opened Trans Canada highway across Rogers Pass. Sections of this highway were threatened by avalanches more monstrous than the ones at Berthoud and Alta. At Rogers pass, Jud met the patriarch of Canadian avalanche research, Noel Gardner, who innovated new methods for evaluating and controlling the Rogers Pass hazards. Jud and Noel hit it off famously. So much so that Noel felt that Jud was the unique person to collaborate with to document for posterity the successful Roger’s Pass methods. Together they created a fine publication, revealing methods which found their way into our Alta road program, into my own research, and as an important chapter in the USFS Avalanche Handbook.
Never forgetting his narrow escapes, Jud recognized at the onset of his research career that trying to outguess avalanches involved a balance of the expected and unexpected, in short, probabilities. New statistical methods were called for, not just for Berthoud or Alta, but methods applicable west wide. The problem is that statistics require data, much more than were available from Berthoud, Alta, and a few other stations. Thus, Jud founded a Westwide avalanche data collection and information network. As prerequisite, he proposed to standardize existing snow and avalanche terminology, and to include new measurements previously ignored. These would be the inputs needed to evaluate the avalanche hazard at a growing number of stations as they came on deck to join the Westwide program.
In 1969, Jud made another trip to Canada. This time to attend the first North American avalanche conference, held at the University of Calgary. Jud presented a paper on his proposed inputs. His presentation was a tour de force. In fact, at the time it was somewhat overwhelming for the audience, as is often the case when new ideas confront a symposium audience for the first time. But in years to come, slowly and surely, his input standardization took hold.
In 1972, the USFS transfered me from Alta into Pete’s Alpine Snow and Avalanche Project at Fort Collins. There I was able to witness the growing Westwide network, and to witness Jud at work, inputing data to the USFS computer, tweaking a complex, evolving model, and examining the latest computer outputs. Did they make any sense? Were there statistical patterns? Did they discriminate the expected from the unexpected? It was difficult research. Jud was open to suggestions. Ideas from others were appreciated and tested. For example, I remember one day suggesting that he experiment changing his input equation for wind direction. He tweaked his model accordingly, but output statistics did not improve. The new snow variable, inputed into Jud’s avalanche model, kept on smothering the other variables. This brought up a related problem. Existing weather models did a poor job predicting the amount of new snow falling in the Colorado mountains. Jud worked closely with meteorologists at Colorado State University to develop reliable models for predicting new snow amounts.
His avalanche statistics, published in scientific journals told it the way it is: here are the statistics, here are the conclusions. Jud presented similar messages at the USFS National Avalanche schools, minus all the jargon that went into the scientific literature.
Jud and I became lifelong friends, exchanging family visits in Fort Collins. He maintained a second home in Steamboat where we once stayed to investigate a skier fatality caused by a slab avalanche near the local ski area. We climbed up to the start zone of the slab avalanche , measured snow propeties just as we had done independently many years ago at Berthoud and Alta. Other times, we hiked together in the mountains, photographing snow and avalanche phenomena for the USFS Avalanche Handbook.
In 1974, I moved to Canada. We stayed in contact as the years passed on a variety of snow and avalanche problems. After all these years, I believe Jud and I still agree that avalanche forecasting is forever burdened with uncertainty. We prefer to emphasize avoiding avalanche paths, rather than gambling on statistics and probability, or counting on some gizmo to save your life.
Jud gets along well with people. He accepts people for who they are, makes the best of the working relationship. Not mentioning names, that included working with several avalanche pioneers who could be difficult in the extreme. I think they appreciated Jud’s crystal clear, urbane personality, his enthusiasm for snow and avalanche work, just like them, he had worked in and survived the real world of Avalanches

Dad’s boot camp photo

38E56F78-45AC-450E-89BC-C83E7C25CE37.jpeg

Keep living life to the fullest Bean! You've made him proud all of these years. Keep honoring him with your adventures, he's still with ya!

Sorry for your loss Fred. When I read it on FB I thought you were marking the anniversary of his passing. You've spoke of him often on this site, sounds like we all lost one of the good ones. We should all be so lucky to live such a full life.......

Beanman,
Sorry for your loss and Condolences to you and your family.
Great story thank you for sharing it.
I just live over the hill from you in Cory.

I’m sorry for your loss, I grew up in the Colorado Rockies skiing those areas. i skied alot of back country when I was young and took an avalanche class 45 years ago. Your father was a blessed man who led a charmed life.

Bean Man so sorry for you loss it is always a huge event in any man's life when he loses his father.
I lost mine in 2001 still hurts as he was the one I talked to about problems in life.
Your father had an amazing life something to be proud of for sure.

I lost mine four years ago and rarely a day goes by that I don’t reflect on the adventures we had. It doesn’t matter how prepared we think we are, losing dad is a tough pill. So sorry for your loss.

That's a great read and story and all of his work lives on. No telling how many lives he's saved and will continue to save through awareness. Sorry for your loss Beanman.

Started ski patroling in 1971. Many thanks to your dad for going ahead so we could come behind.

Losing your father is never easy. At least it sounds like you got to enjoy many years with him.

Beanman, what a cool story about your Dad. Mine is slipping farther into Alzheimers every day. He is almost 92. I already miss being able to have a conversation with him. I am sorry to hear of your loss. We were the lucky generation who had Fathers taking us hunting and fishing when the game were really plentiful.

Sorry to hear the sad news, I know he lead a great life, and took care of his family well. May he rest in peace.

Thank you Beanman, for your fathers story...I love the adventure of gliding over deep powder.... being strapped or binded in at the feet, and or...gripping the handle bars of a sled ripping up a avalanche chute... I payed attention to snow studies over the years and the proven facts that your father helped prove...I appreciate your fathers work, his studies helped keep me safe in my adventures in the deep winter...... Cheers to "the avalanche man"

Keep your head up!, I'm sure he's proud of the man that you have become.....keep his legacy living!!

Trinity alps wilderness area ....winter assault....

IMG_0309.jpg

evidence of a big slide....on the snowshoe in...

2000 + ' of vertical in one shot...... rode this peak after we determined it was safe from your father and his friends collective work.... Awesome..... cheers to him!

IMG_0422.jpg

Last edited:
Offtrail, that looks fun. One of the things Dad harped on was that you could dig a pit and analyze the snow pack, check forecasts etc but you were never deciding it it was ‘safe’ to ski or ride. You were merely attempting to Learn how many cartridges were in the cylinder before you put it to your head.

Beanman,

Thank you for sharing your dads story. Sounds like you were lucky to know him, and even luckier to call him dad. (y)

Condolences to you and your family.

Sorry for your loss, Beanman. It sounds like your Dad led a successful and interesting life. Hang in there and cherish your memories

My Father passed away last Saturday night, it is an event which has rocked my world, i hesitated about posting it here, so here goes. He was 86 and he and my Mother had been married 65 years. My Mom is till with us. Dad served as a Marine during the Korean conflict. He initially attended the University of Colorado and became a memeber of The Rocky Mountain Rescue group, my Mom was also a member and met during a rescue. They married and then moved to Oregon where Dad got a degree in Forestry and then a job as the USFS Snow Ranger for the Berthoud Pass, Winter Park, A-Basin, and Loveland ski areas. He made a career out of The Forest Service and Snow Science where he founded the first regional avalanche forecasting program in the nation that later became The Colorado Avalanche Information Center. He raised three boys and was a great Father. I pent a lot of time on skis and around avalanche control with him.
I’ll share this that a friend and colleague wrote about him. Deep Powder and Steep Slopes Dad, I love you and miss you.

Art Judson

Once upon a time there were a small number of ski mountaineers employed by the US Forest Service. They were called snow rangers. They are nearly extinct.
They arose early, almost every winter morning, and spent their day protecting the public from avalanches. They studied snow, weather, and avalanche activity, they closed and opened ski runs and highways, they tossed explosives or fired artillery to release avalanches, they issued public warnings. When all else failed and an avalanche struck, they mobilized for the rescue operation.
Art Judson, known to many of us as Jud started as a pioneer USFS Snow Ranger at Berthoud Pass, working with legendary, Dick Stillman, both trying to win a battle against Colorado’s notorious deep slab avalanches. Like all the dedicated few on the front lines facing the avalanche hazard, Jud had his share of the inevitable narrow escapes. Later, he brought his real world, avalanche experiences to the USFS Experiment Station, Fort Collins, where he became a dedicated research scientist in Pete Martinelli’s Alpine Snow and Avalanche Project, destined to become the USFS National Avalanche Project. Thus, Jud belonged to the highly select few who in one lifetime could call themselves research scientists and snow rangers.
Jud was a few years ahead of me in all respects. When I started a parallel career at Alta, Utah in 1966, we didn’t have a large pedagogy of avalanche research to build on. We studied with great interest Jud’s growing list of contributions, published in scientific journals and international conference proceedings, especially his work on the properties of alpine snow. Eventually, we performed our own Alta measurements of alpine snow properties with financial support from Pete’s Project, and building upon the earlier research of Pete and Jud.
One of our main Alta problems was a road beneath a nasty group of avalanche paths. Jud took a giant step to help. He traveled to Canada to observe the avalanche forecasting and control program for the newly opened Trans Canada highway across Rogers Pass. Sections of this highway were threatened by avalanches more monstrous than the ones at Berthoud and Alta. At Rogers pass, Jud met the patriarch of Canadian avalanche research, Noel Gardner, who innovated new methods for evaluating and controlling the Rogers Pass hazards. Jud and Noel hit it off famously. So much so that Noel felt that Jud was the unique person to collaborate with to document for posterity the successful Roger’s Pass methods. Together they created a fine publication, revealing methods which found their way into our Alta road program, into my own research, and as an important chapter in the USFS Avalanche Handbook.
Never forgetting his narrow escapes, Jud recognized at the onset of his research career that trying to outguess avalanches involved a balance of the expected and unexpected, in short, probabilities. New statistical methods were called for, not just for Berthoud or Alta, but methods applicable west wide. The problem is that statistics require data, much more than were available from Berthoud, Alta, and a few other stations. Thus, Jud founded a Westwide avalanche data collection and information network. As prerequisite, he proposed to standardize existing snow and avalanche terminology, and to include new measurements previously ignored. These would be the inputs needed to evaluate the avalanche hazard at a growing number of stations as they came on deck to join the Westwide program.
In 1969, Jud made another trip to Canada. This time to attend the first North American avalanche conference, held at the University of Calgary. Jud presented a paper on his proposed inputs. His presentation was a tour de force. In fact, at the time it was somewhat overwhelming for the audience, as is often the case when new ideas confront a symposium audience for the first time. But in years to come, slowly and surely, his input standardization took hold.
In 1972, the USFS transfered me from Alta into Pete’s Alpine Snow and Avalanche Project at Fort Collins. There I was able to witness the growing Westwide network, and to witness Jud at work, inputing data to the USFS computer, tweaking a complex, evolving model, and examining the latest computer outputs. Did they make any sense? Were there statistical patterns? Did they discriminate the expected from the unexpected? It was difficult research. Jud was open to suggestions. Ideas from others were appreciated and tested. For example, I remember one day suggesting that he experiment changing his input equation for wind direction. He tweaked his model accordingly, but output statistics did not improve. The new snow variable, inputed into Jud’s avalanche model, kept on smothering the other variables. This brought up a related problem. Existing weather models did a poor job predicting the amount of new snow falling in the Colorado mountains. Jud worked closely with meteorologists at Colorado State University to develop reliable models for predicting new snow amounts.
His avalanche statistics, published in scientific journals told it the way it is: here are the statistics, here are the conclusions. Jud presented similar messages at the USFS National Avalanche schools, minus all the jargon that went into the scientific literature.
Jud and I became lifelong friends, exchanging family visits in Fort Collins. He maintained a second home in Steamboat where we once stayed to investigate a skier fatality caused by a slab avalanche near the local ski area. We climbed up to the start zone of the slab avalanche , measured snow propeties just as we had done independently many years ago at Berthoud and Alta. Other times, we hiked together in the mountains, photographing snow and avalanche phenomena for the USFS Avalanche Handbook.
In 1974, I moved to Canada. We stayed in contact as the years passed on a variety of snow and avalanche problems. After all these years, I believe Jud and I still agree that avalanche forecasting is forever burdened with uncertainty. We prefer to emphasize avoiding avalanche paths, rather than gambling on statistics and probability, or counting on some gizmo to save your life.
Jud gets along well with people. He accepts people for who they are, makes the best of the working relationship. Not mentioning names, that included working with several avalanche pioneers who could be difficult in the extreme. I think they appreciated Jud’s crystal clear, urbane personality, his enthusiasm for snow and avalanche work, just like them, he had worked in and survived the real world of Avalanches
Fred may the good Lord help you find comfort in your time of need. Lost my dad in 2018 and its never been the same.

I read this on a t-shirt, I think it's appropriate for you.
"Some people never meet their heroes,
I was raised by mine."
Sounds like your Daddy was a heck of a hero, to all who ski and recreate in the mountains, and especially a
hero to you.

Your Dad lived a full life as mine has also...be thankful every day you were a part of it....Mine will be 86 next month and I still hear stories of his exploits I never heard before...

Incredible journey, and I'm very sorry about his passing which I'm sure affects you and many others. As a fan of the winter backcountry, I'm grateful for his research and efforts!

Beanman,
Sorry for your loss! ...and a great loss it is.
The world is a better place because of your father and real men like him.
The thought keeps crossing my mind "a life well lived". That sums it up to me.
Zeke

Where he belongs Fred. A perfect ending, to a perfect life. No doubt taps and the 21 guns hit you right in the feels! The perfect ending......Until Valhalla brother....

RIP. I know it is tuff!!! We just stopped at the veterans memorial cemetery in South Dakota 4 days ago. Awesome cemeteries. My Dad is in one here in Utah.

We were lucky to both have a Dad that shaped and affected us and many other people in so many ways. Mine is buried on our ranch, so I talk to him every time I go there, and when I am anywhere he taught me to love and respect. Your dad is certainly still alive in you and I am sure you will have many conversations with him in the places you both love. May he Rest In Peace and I am sure you will continue the good he instilled.

Art Judson

Bean sorry for your loss! I also lost both my parents few years ago. They were also married 65 years and my dad also served in the Korean war. So far it was the hardest thing I have dealt with in my life. Hang in there buddy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom