The Colorado way...

ducksbucksandbulls

We set off on our Colo 3rd season deer hunt the monday before the season opened.
started scouting tuesday evening.
saw some great bucks on private land in the river bottom.
took a long Quad ride on wed. am. Spotted some good bucks and a little rutting activity.
found a great place to camp. Went and got the truck and came back and set up camp. Wall tent and all the stoves and cots. Went a couple miles from camp to an old burn, cut a load of wood for the 10 days ahead.
Scouted wed night, Thurs. am. came back to camp to relax. ah ya, piece and quite...
Later thursday afternoon, a couple of rigs roll in. we are camped on a dead end road off the main road 300 yards. A couple guys get out, say they have been camping there for 20 years. Said they had more people coming in the next 2 days. They set up the tent and tent trailer. Later that evening started their generator. Ah crap!!They party until 1:30am. At 2am in comes another rig joining the group. Then another at 4am.fri.
Another tent trailer and another generator.

They are set up 30 yards from our tent.
I know it's all BLM public lands, But...
Ton's of places to camp...
Scout all day Friday.
No sleep friday night with all the noise next door and generators running. A little excitment of opening day too.
Went out and hunted the morning. Passed a few bucks and It got hot, so came back to camp for lunch and a nap.
Mid afternoon, i'm sitting in my camp chair glassing the basin above camp and see elk. a bull and 2 cows. I set up the spotting scope. small 5 point. I see the neighbors and call him over. He had a tag. They look thru the scope and say, whow, a big bull. Not where i come from. Calif...
They head out on a stalk and end up killing the bull about 1/2 mile from camp. Dies in a cow trail. This is late afternoon now. They gut and leave it. Hide on,
That night after returning to camp we find out they killed it. said if we look in the bottom we'd see it. The next day, Sunday we were up at the top of the canyon, about a mile away from the elk. Glassed the basin and saw the bull lying in the sun.
We found several bucks in the basin and my wife spotted a nice buck rutting a doe. I asked if thats the one she wanted. Grabbed our packs and off down into the canyon. 3/4 mile stalk thru the P/J and we were at 300 Yards. The buck moved a little as we set up. range 282, One shot the buck folded. No ground shrinkage on this one. 27" 4x4.
We caped and quartered the deer. Set the meat on patches of snow in the shade. Snow was left from the 2nd season on n facing slopes.
The Buck was only about 400 yards from the Colo boy's elk. I went and checked it out. Lying in the trail in the sun.
We hiked up to the top of the basin, took 45 min.
Drove the quad around to camp. Found a road that got us 1/3 of a mile down hill from the buck. Grabbed the pack frames and headed up.Met the Colo boys in the trail just now quartering there elk. Loaded all the meat and cape and headed back to the bike. It's now early afternoon The bull lay there for 20 hours...
Earlier that Morning they were retrieving another bull a young Man in camp had shot the evening before.
Well thats another story... It goes like this, as they told me.
There were two of us and 2 bulls across the canyon on the next ridge. The shooting started about 500 yards, give or take, as they told the story. Said they should have KILLED them both. Lots of shots were fired. As the story goes , a lot of lead flew... We'll a bull went down hard they said.
As darkness was nearing, they left the bull. Not going over to check on him, or gut him.
The next day they go back with help from camp. Walk up to the bull, and he is still alive. They finish the job then, the next am. THATS one way from keeping the meat from spoiling. Not the way most would do it.
They ran there generators all the time.
Was glad to see them leave on wed.
Piece and quite the next few days.
Sat we loaded our camp and 2 colo, 4x4's and headed home.
Met some great people along the way and a few not so wonderful.
Thanks to those who helped.
Thanks brady.. great info...
Howdy

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-10 AT 02:16PM (MST)[p]Howdy, I think I would have let a few shots go in the air over their heads if I heard generators that close at 1am. There are sure a few bad eggs out there. We are not all like that. Thats definately NOT the colorado way...

If colo residents had out of state hunters do it to them, And were from Texas or calif, we would catch hell.

I know, there are bad apples out there.

Maybe I should have the title read, THE WRONG WAY to do it in COLORADO.
Good luck to all in the 4th season...

Here that! Treed
I think if I had a group like that pull up they would take a ass woppin!!!!
But you should think before you call it the Colorado way! You are a guest in our state and always welcome but don't group us all together like that.

And they will wonder why their elk meat doesn't taste all that good. I see that same behavior there every year, sometimes residents, sometimes out of staters. My wife shot her cow this year just before dark on the last day of our hunt. We were done with quarters hanging in camp at about 11PM. Would it have been "easier" to leave it over nite? Sure but I wouldn't want to.

Good post.

Very well could be from Colorado, but mostly sounds like a Colorado transplant. They are a non-native evasive species that blends in to enviroment. They can be very smart and try to be elusive but stick out like a sore thumb sort a like a out of stater driving through. You can always tell them apart.It takes a native to tell them apart. They are taking over much of the state. All hope is lost with removing them. Even with the bad economy they still find ways to set there roots here.

"They can be very smart and try to be elusive but stick out like a sore thumb sort a like a out of stater driving through. You can always tell them apart.It takes a native to tell them apart"

And why do they stick out like a sore thumb hunter Dan??? All that smartness just doesnt blend in I know.

Yes the "smartness" is hard to do with big digits and a tiny little phone. What part of the country do you reside? Ah wait you are one of them aren't you.

Not at all the Colorado way.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I have hunted in CO, ID, NV and OR and have met good and bad in every state.

It seems wrong to me to lump all of CO into one group but it happens all the time to the Non-Resident hunter in each of those states and even the pure Colorado natives get butt-hurt and start whining about the "transplants" as if no CO native would stoop to any level below one step down from GOD. LOL!

There are good and bad in EVERY state and include natives, transplants and non-resident hunters. You must choose to accept it or try to dole out an A$$-Whoopin or move on.

Sounds like the times when the idiots were not there were great so good for you on that.

Bill

>Very well could be from Colorado,
>but mostly sounds like a
>Colorado transplant. They are a
>non-native evasive species that blends
>in to enviroment. They
>can be very smart and
>try to be elusive but
>stick out like a sore
>thumb sort a like a
>out of stater driving through.
>You can always tell them
>apart.It takes a native to
>tell them apart. They are
>taking over much of the
>state. All hope is lost
>with removing them. Even with
>the bad economy they still
>find ways to set there
>roots here.

They might just be Cliftonites, an inbreeding enclave in the Grand Junction area. Unfortunately they are not an invasive species.

Sounds like you took a couple great bucks. Sorry for the idiots, but there are a few of them in every state. Either you have common sence or you don't. It can;t be taught!!!

Congrats and I hope you have better hunting nieghbors next go around!!!

The only people that I have meet that held their noses higher than us in Colorado have been from Texas, California, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington... I can keep going but you get the point. What I really don't understand are the Texans, everything is bigger, badder and better in Texas but why do they come here? You can not hold a conversation with one without them telling you how much better it is their and what we should do better here. Why do they fly their state flag at their summer home's here? Heck a guy lives down the road from me has his on almost year round. California poeple, don't get me started.
Most of us here don't really care one way or the other about out of state hunters. More power to them. What we really care about is the disrespectfull get out of my way because I am from so and so poeple.

Never had a problem in Colorado...with Coloradans that is. I wont name states, being from Utah i get my fair share of chit..But I met some true dinks this year from unnamed state..There are a-holes in every state of the union, just sucks when you run into them in the woods.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom