The draw

Did you miss the draw deadline?

Points only period is 7/1 thru 11/30 but as a NR they are expensive points to buy for elk, deer, and pronghorn If the $172 hunting license still needs to be purchased during the points only period…

Horniac

Yup 7/1 to 11/30 for point saver, didn't know you could actually do that until I read it in the regs a few days ago. Learned something new, also in the 2023 regs it says results will be posted on June 12th so a bit earlier this year.

Good luck to all on your draws.

Did you miss the draw deadline?

Points only period is 7/1 thru 11/30 but as a NR they are expensive points to buy for elk, deer, and pronghorn If the $172 hunting license still needs to be purchased during the points only period…

Horniac
I didn’t but I know someone that’s did. Much the less I was able to find the information online that they do have a point purchasing only period starting in July. Has never been a concern for me since I have always just applied and made sure to not miss a deadline.

Yup 7/1 to 11/30 for point saver, didn't know you could actually do that until I read it in the regs a few days ago. Learned something new, also in the 2023 regs it says results will be posted on June 12th so a bit earlier this year.

Good luck to you as well! Main concern and interest for me applying for Oregon is the sheep so let’s hope I draw a nr sheep tag.

I didn’t but I know someone that’s did. Much the less I was able to find the information online that they do have a point purchasing only period starting in July. Has never been a concern for me since I have always just applied and made sure to not miss a deadline.
Right on Brad I know you are trying to draw a sheep tag so I was hoping you didn’t miss it…

Horniac

Do you know when the seed numbers are out?

Week after they lock in apps, which is May 25th. So should have them the very first part of June. Early enough to factor for ID but not likely for WY, unless WY allows edits.

I’m not even going to check or worry about it because I know the answer already haha ?

Will likely draw deer and elk again, no surprise there since they are tags few hunters want. Looks like no chance on bighorn and pronghorn, that makes 56 years without a bighorn tag. Almost nailed the premium elk number but just under instead of over so I guess that makes me worst loser.

I suppose the seed doesn’t mean a thing to me as long as I have the most points for Applegate muzzy deer?

OS Beavs. 6947 applications last year. The math from last years applicants would be if every number was evenly spaced (we know they won’t be) they would be 1,439 numbers apart. There are 40 total tags, so 25 percent of that is 10 random tags. Take 10x1439= 14,390. So if the applicants remain the same this year you would need to be within 14,390 over seed. That is an estimate because all numbers won’t be evenly spaced apart.

Closest I have ever been in the past was 124k. Anyone here got an application number closely over the seed number?

OS Beavs. 6947 applications last year. The math from last years applicants would be if every number was evenly spaced (we know they won’t be) they would be 1,439 numbers apart. There are 40 total tags, so 25 percent of that is 10 random tags. Take 10x1439= 14,390. So if the applicants remain the same this year you would need to be within 14,390 over seed. That is an estimate because all numbers won’t be evenly spaced apart.
I am showing closer to 4K apps last year…

Basically, Your app number compared to the drawn seed numbers. Just a way to see if you are close enough to probably get a tag. Or realize you have no way of getting a tag ??
Something else to occupy time through the draws. ??

Basically, Your app number compared to the drawn seed numbers. Just a way to see if you are close enough to probably get a tag. Or realize you have no way of getting a tag ??
How do you find your application number? Is it the same as the transaction number?

its on your profile in each game application. I didn't get past the first number on any.

@Skidmore which premium tag? You could be in the game if there are around 700 applicants.

Need to be closer to 2500 for that one. I wouldn't hold you breath but crazier things have happened.

So my
So my elk number is 3497168. What’s that mean aside from that’s a $hit ton of applications

Difference between your app and seed number = Z

9,999,999/(number of applications)=X

X*(number of random tags given for hunt)=Y

Y>Z Then means you are potentially in the game on drawing the given tag.

This is the cleanest explanation I can give that's not actually talking, getting thoughts out of my head and onto paper has never been a strong suit.

Im guessing with that elk number you arent gonna draw, unless there are very very few applicants. The numbers are generated at random, between 0 and 9,999,999 your app number is not a reflection of the actualy number of applications

***Edited

Last edited:
Well looks like I didn’t draw a sheep or goat tag which was expected.
-3,659,972 on goat
1,508,727 over on sheep
Dang it ! Maybe one day.

My daughter is 4,700 over on speed goats. So looks like we'll be hunting for those stinky critters this year. Year #31 for me with no chance at a sheep tag......
Year #56 for me, you got some catching up to do. ? Congrats on the 'lope tag, hope she bags a good one.

Well all I have to say is my son drew a big horn Ram hunt on his second year trying. I think that was 2017 or 2018. Once in a lifetime awesome float hunt with a 166 and a half CA bighorn ram on the wall now. Keep applying someone has to get them!!!!!!!

Well all I have to say is my son drew a big horn Ram hunt on his second year trying. I think that was 2017 or 2018. Once in a lifetime awesome float hunt with a 166 and a half CA bighorn ram on the wall now. Keep applying someone has to get them!!!!!!!
Sure, rub it in. Over the years I've heard lots of stories about people drawing in their first few years of applying, I'm ok with that, it's when people draw and then either don't go or give up early because, gee, the mountains are steep, that irks me. At least they can't stop me from hunting them with my camera.

_AAQ2300-Edit.jpg

Sure, rub it in. Over the years I've heard lots of stories about people drawing in their first few years of applying, I'm ok with that, it's when people draw and then either don't go or give up early because, gee, the mountains are steep, that irks me. At least they can't stop me from hunting them with my camera.

View attachment 112391
Always count on you for a great picture.
Met a guy years ago at a local gun shop who drew a sheep tag. After a few seconds I realize he had no clue what he drew. Once I straighten him out he was upset. He thought he would hunt “ one of those animals with long flowing white hair”. Took awhile to get it though his head that there were no Mtn Goats in California. ???? First and only person I met who was upset having a sheep tag.

Last edited:
Met a young lady (15 years old) who drew and was mad about it. Evidently her dad applied for her, not realizing that the sheep hunt interfered with her cheerleader camp. Also met a guy who quit on the second day because his feet hurt. ? Saddest story was the kid who drew when he was 12. Never hunted any kind of big game before, (this was back before mentoring was allowed) and he just wasn't up to the task. Once in a lifetime opportunity wasted.

Hey MMers…….as I try to understand your seed numbers discussion, those seed numbers will apply to the 50% random tags for each species. The 50% pref point tags will be awarded to the highest point holders. And where there are multiple highest point holders without enough tags to be awarded, then the seed numbers will come back into play? Am I close to understanding this? Thanks!!

The seed numbers apply to the entire draw selection.

75% of the tags will go to the highest point holders until it reaches the lowest preference point pool where there's not enough tags to fill the amount of applications. then those closest to the seed number are awarded tags until the 75% is gone.

Then the 25% random quota selecting the closest applicants to the seed number until they're gone.

Met a young lady (15 years old) who drew and was mad about it. Evidently her dad applied for her, not realizing that the sheep hunt interfered with her cheerleader camp. Also met a guy who quit on the second day because his feet hurt. ? Saddest story was the kid who drew when he was 12. Never hunted any kind of big game before, (this was back before mentoring was allowed) and he just wasn't up to the task. Once in a lifetime opportunity wasted.

My son is 15 almost 16 and I won't put him in for Sheep, and told him he should wait until 21 years old just because of all the stuff you mentioned. He's fine with it too because he knows some guys are older now, or been waiting for 50 plus years for a tag and they're running out of time.

Besides for some reason he likes Mule Deer more then anything else??? LOL.......................

My son is 15 almost 16 and I won't put him in for Sheep, and told him he should wait until 21 years old just because of all the stuff you mentioned. He's fine with it too because he knows some guys are older now, or been waiting for 50 plus years for a tag and they're running out of time.

Besides for some reason he likes Mule Deer more then anything else??? LOL.......................
I don't think it's age so much as experience. An 18 year old who's taken a few deer, especially if taken on physically challenging, spot and stalk type hunts should be good to go.
Personally, I hate to think about "running out of time" but at 70 years of age I no longer apply for the big three bull tags because I'll never catch up to point creep. Even without creep I can't envision hunting the Wenaha at 95, heading up some canyon with my walker. ?
I've made suggestions to the ODFW to set aside a few hunts for pioneer license holders, possibly something a little less physically demanding, along the lines of the youth hunts but get no response.

I don't think it's age so much as experience. An 18 year old who's taken a few deer, especially if taken on physically challenging, spot and stalk type hunts should be good to go.
Personally, I hate to think about "running out of time" but at 70 years of age I no longer apply for the big three bull tags because I'll never catch up to point creep. Even without creep I can't envision hunting the Wenaha at 95, heading up some canyon with my walker. ?
I've made suggestions to the ODFW to set aside a few hunts for pioneer license holders, possibly something a little less physically demanding, along the lines of the youth hunts but get no response.

Well at 70 yrs old you're exactly the guy that I would rather see draw a Sheep tag over my 15 year old kid! That's exactly why I don't put him in for Sheep.

If I remember correctly, when I first applied there were only 12 bighorn tags. Lots more opportunity these days but many more applicants too. I had two friends draw tags the same year, one on his sixth try, one on his second. I hope your son draws as soon as he's ready, it'll be a thrill for both of you.

What’s the timeline for the draw tomorrow?
It'll happen early. Last year they posted the results one species at a time. I don't remember exactly but I believe they started showing up by around 8:00 am. I know I checked once and had deer and antelope, then the elk tag appeared later, just because they post a successful doesn't necessarily mean you're done. Good luck to everyone.
_AAU8397-Edit-4.jpg

Chetco muzzleloader buck and East Grant muzzleloader elk. No surprises, both easy to draw tags and, of course, my application numbers were close to the seed numbers when they didn't need to be, and far away from the ones I needed some luck on. Can't complain, I guess, since I drew a Steens Mtn. buck tag last year with one point.

Lop deer ?
No sheep , i have been applying since I was 16 , im now 60
Missed 7 years though when i first moved to idaho in 93
Glad idaho gave me one in 2015 ?

Put in for points for deer and elk. Will draw them next year. Everything else was an Unsuccessful as expected.

Drew our Columbia basin deer tags and will have the kids and wife hunt our lease. Twin 15 year olds drew north Santiam late youth blacktail which is a mid November blacktail buck hunt. I wish I could hunt blacktails in the rut, but the boys will have a great time.

It’s all about the glass, not the camera (for the most part)
Very true although the D500 I use was a big step up from my previous cameras, even though the lenses stayed the same. Would love to try a Z9 but haven't yet found that rich widow that'll buy it for me. ? For lenses I have a 600mm F4 that gets heavier every year, and a 200-400 F4, both Nikons.
_LAA8299-1-2.jpg

Drew our Columbia basin deer tags and will have the kids and wife hunt our lease. Twin 15 year olds drew north Santiam late youth blacktail which is a mid November blacktail buck hunt. I wish I could hunt blacktails in the rut, but the boys will have a great time.
Rutting blacktails are definitely fun to hunt. Lots of opportunities if you're willing to use a muzzleloader.

Very true although the D500 I use was a big step up from my previous cameras, even though the lenses stayed the same. Would love to try a Z9 but haven't yet found that rich widow that'll buy it for me. ? For lenses I have a 600mm F4 that gets heavier every year, and a 200-400 F4, both Nikons.
View attachment 112930
That’s good glass though. I’ve been a full time photographer for 15 years, just a very different genre. I’m a Nikon guy as well.

I played around with the Z9 for a few weeks, great camera but doesn’t fill my needs. I’m waiting for a 65+ Z7iii. Im still rocking my D850.

That’s good glass though. I’ve been a full time photographer for 15 years, just a very different genre. I’m a Nikon guy as well.

I played around with the Z9 for a few weeks, great camera but doesn’t fill my needs. I’m waiting for a 65+ Z7iii. Im still rocking my D850.
Would love to have a D850 but ended up with a D810 for my full frame backup. Found a D810 with 9,000 clicks for about $2,000 less than any D850 I found. Are you a wedding photographer? Personally, I'd rather face a mad sow grizzly than just about any mother of the bride. ?

Would love to have a D850 but ended up with a D810 for my full frame backup. Found a D810 with 9,000 clicks for about $2,000 less than any D850 I found. Are you a wedding photographer? Personally, I'd rather face a mad sow grizzly than just about any mother of the bride. ?
I’ve shot a few weddings when friends have needed a second but I shoot architecture, interior design, and custom homes.

I wouldn’t shoot a wedding no matter the pay, well maybe ?.

Back
Top Bottom