The end is near... (probably not worth reading)

MDQ

Back in the day one of the favorite hunting hangout forums was on Huntinfo.com. It was a great place to mingle with like minded hunting enthusiasts. Today, Huntinfo is irrelevant, which is the harshest word anyone can say about a web site. At the peak of its traffic, Huntinfo gathered hunters from all over & spawned lots of wannabes - like Monster Muleys. A couple years before the HI forums imploded, I posted a thread predicting the demise of HI. That was a hard prediction to come up with - this one is easy:

The end of Monster Muleys is near.

My gut tells me that MM now has:

more negative posts than positive.
more posts that berate the topic or the poster than discuss.
more posters who seek to be heard than seek to understand.

My gut tells me the tide has turned & the die is cast.

When I made my post on HI, I pleaded with the group to join together in support of our sport rather than tear ourselves apart from the inside. It didn't work...

I won't miss MM. I've been here since the beginning, but I've avoided getting attached to the site or its participants so that when the end happens, I can apathetically delete it from my favorites.

Maybe it's because we hunters are solitary by nature, alpha males (or females), are uber-competitors, or understand critters more than we understand humans. Whatever the reason, we just can't tolerate each other and don't relate well in groups - at least not large, anonymous groups.

Whatever the reason, the outcome will be the same. This site will become irrelevant and fade away. Likely there will be 10 new sites spring up in its place and we'll migrate to one of them. And, just as likely, we'll relive our past - again.

Now I'm going to really ignore my better judgment & get on a soapbox & do a little preaching.

Poachers, trophy hunters, high fences, game farms, canned hunts, governor tags, landowner tags, F&G, DOW, hunting shows, hunting magazines, hunting web sites, hunting contests - these are not the real risks to our sport.

Here are the biggest threats to our sport's future:

Hunters divided against themselves
Anti-hunters
The apathy of non-hunters and hunters - few care enough to give time, $ or energy to save hunting.

I don't have the heart to predict the future I see for our sport.

Every one of us has to fight this fight or we will lose.

(calling for a convicted poacher to spend 20 years fighting to save hunting may be the funniest thing I've ever read)

This is our fight and we have to fight it together or we will lose. And, we have to fight our real problems - not the stuff that we see in DOW press releases.

If anyone replies to this post, my prediction is that it will go something like this "You did not predict the death of HI", "HI isn't dead", "You haven't been on MM since the beginning", "You haven't posted enough times to have an opinion", "Poachers steal our game", "I am not an alpha male & I'll kick your teeth in to prove it", etc.

I'm not claiming that I practice any of the above preaching. My character is not relative to the accuracy of my words.

Let the pounding of the nails in MM's coffin continue...

Guy

If you have been here from the begginning you would know that you are not the first person to predict the demise of MM. Actually every year around this time, during the offseason, before the snow melts and those sick of winter feel the dirt under their boots again, someone posts up a thread that says MM will die. You pretty much can set your clock to it.

Naw, Been here on MM since the beginning,this stuff (mass amounts of negative posts/comments) happens every year around this time. MM is here to stay.

As far as the negative post's.......It can all be summed up with my next sentence....Alot of folks will say things on a websight or on a telephone that they wouldn't be either man nor foolish enough to say face to face.....Thats just how it is.

horsepoop.gif

"I won't miss MM. I've been here since the beginning, but I've avoided getting attached to the site or its participants so that when the end happens, I can apathetically delete it from my favorites."

If this statement is true, then you are as much or more of the problem than anything you berate against. To even make a statement like that takes away all your credibility.

Other than that, the above statements are right on in my book.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

forums like this one give everyone a fair chance to speak out and be heard. where else can the average joe do that and not get beheaded. thank God for sites like these.

I think youre wrong. This site has a specific focuse and unless something better comes along and replaces it, it aint going to fall. That said, this site is based somewhat on a competitive population and that is dangerous, however, MM is here to stay. . .

If you've been here since the beginning I sure would think you'd have more than 39 posts?! But maybe you are just a lurker that doesn't contribute to anything but the negativity you are talking about.

Lien2

>If you've been here since the
>beginning I sure would think
>you'd have more than 39
>posts?! But maybe you
>are just a lurker that
>doesn't contribute to anything but
>the negativity you are talking
>about.
>
>Lien2

Ditto"

Manny15,

I read a few recent posts last night & decided it was worth my time & effort to offer my perspective on where MM is headed & why. I figure that there's a chance that someone reading this post will be affected in a way that helps the environment on MM or even helps our sport. Maybe it will spark a worthwhile discussion. I'm an optimist at heart...

Guy

Lien2,

Commenting on the negative content of MM doesn't make my post negative. It's like looking at the smog in Salt Lake & saying that it's bad for us. I didn't make the smog, I just commented on it.

Thanks for making one of my predictions come true so quickly. 39 posts does pale in comparison to the quantity of many members. The number of my posts don't discredit or discount my initial post. I don't make posts such as "nice pic" or "what a hog". There's nothing wrong with that type of post, but there is also nothing wrong with choosing to only post when I have something unique to say. Some participate with quantity, some with quality & certainly some achieve both.

Guy

I, for one would like to apologize for all of the negative posts I have contributed to this site. I have left alot of them, and in some cases they have been uncalled for, snotty, or just plain mean. Recently, I have even been known to raise questions as to the validity of some of the claims made on this site. The bad part is I have done this with no proof, just speculation on my part. I have bad mouthed several members for their never ending opinions that are in oposition to my own (bobcatbess, huntindude, forthewall, etc, etc). To all of you whom I have offended, please accept my humble apology. Please know that I appreciate each and every one of you for your individuality, and I feel that this world would stop turning if we all agreed on everything.

I just wanted to get that of my chest before Monster Muleys dies. You can't say it after their gone.

Funny stuff. I have been on a fishing website that is the best in the AZ area and a handful of members got all butthurt by the nasty comments on some threads. They not only predicted the demise but left with long windbag posts about never returning again and started their own website. The site has continued as successfulk as before and those who left sneak back with different handles anyway. Guess it is like sticking your finger in a glass of water. When you pull it out the hole is gone and no one knows you were ever there. See ya later.

It must be about daylight savings time switch again. Its the MM is going t o die thread 2007. Cool. That means its aobut time to find some more muley sheds.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!! You mean to tell me that Monster Muleys isn't dying????? Well in that case, I take back my apology post. If we're going to keep going, I want everyone to think I'm being serious.

Now I know what if feels like to be hit in the head by a piece of the sky.

I believe MM is just the opposite from what MDQ says, I was a long time lurker (6 years at least) before I became a member and decided to get off my butt and contribute. I have over the years learned more from MM then all the other sites combined. Hopefully I have contributed to someone else's knowledge as well. Take a look at the vast range of personality types that regularly post here. Yet we all come here becouse we love to hunt or talk about hunting.
Like others have posted before me I believe this time of year just brings people down a little. I suggest you get out and do some serious scouting/shed hunting/hiking just get out and cover some ground. this always seems to help me when I get the after season blahs.

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

I saw this post last night & was afraid to open it since I thought it was a religious post & the Apocalypse was happening. Man was that a relief when I opened it & found that was not the case. I just wished I hadn't waisted all morning trying to put my life in order :)

When I did finish reading this I couldn't help but wonder if this was one of those farewell speeches. If it is kudos to you MDQ since this is a much classier & thought provoking post then any of the previous one I've read.

Your other points are valid as well that hunting sites are spawning up all the time, that's comforting to know so that if MM does become irrelevant, I'll have someplace else to waist my time while messing with strangers :) Much like Maslow's hierarchy of needs, we all need a since of belonging.

Another theory on the topic is that after the novelty of the internet wears off people go threw a process of maturation were anonymously dissing on strangers grows old. This hasn't been a concern of mine however since I've always acted immature :) & I ain't about to change that in my advanced years.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-07 AT 03:30PM (MST)[p]B_F_E,

No, it's not my farewell speech. I accept the variety of ideas, values and personalities on MM (or anywhere else), so I don't have to avoid those different than me.

I'm glad you found the post thought provoking - that was my hope. And, if it caused anyone to even attempt to put their life in order then it was all worth it!

As for you always acting immaturely; you may fool some, but your secret is safe with me.

Guy

>It's beating a dead horse, but
>I have to agree with
>most everyone on this post.
> It's just the time
>of year, just the same
>as last year and the
>year before, etc, etc......
>
>Rackem

I disagree. I do NOT think MM will die, but I agree things currently are worse than in previous years which in unfortunate.

I also used to haunt Joshua's huntinfo.com and it was a really fun place until the same thing started happening. It also happened to HuntAmerica.com, people began to tire of all the BS going on and looked for something new. I learned about MM after Founder posted it on Huntinfo and a bunch of us came over.

Its been what, 7+ years now since that huntinfo post? wow... but yes, MM was a GREAT place to be and its sad to see the same crap start to happen here. Hopefully people will get a grip on the crap and we can turn a corner and get back to the truely great times we used to have here.

-DallanC

Since you were there you should remember me.
What sank HI was a remark from a guy named "Yetty" about my 13 year old daughter. Yetty thought he was anonymous. In fact the web people at HI did nothing to help me track down this guy. They even went as far as to say they were NOT going to help at all. Well I found out who the guy was. He was a guy named Matt True. He was with Brendan Burns when he shot his 408 PY bull. It was this fact that lead me to him. I confronted Yetty's school in Havre Montana. The school said they would do nothing about him. The school said that he was entitled to free speech, even if that speech was about him wanting to Rape my daughter.
So I went on to HI and told the whole story. It split the forum down the middle. A lot of the guys there liked me I guess. Well they all bailed ship with me and it went down in smoke. A thread later came up about "where was Yetty" him and his buddys got on there and said more trash about my daughter and me.
If anyone doubts this I have two threads saved on my computer I can email to you to prove it. I would be glad to provide it. In fact I have one thread where he said he was going to " beat the crap " out of me. He was a great guy. Moosie knows him and has partied with him. Moosie do you ever talk with him?
Huntinfo went down, but I don't see MM going down for the same reason. The unregistered trolls put the end to Huntinfo. I can prove it. Ron

I'm not overqualified to comment really, only having been on the internet for about 2 1/2 years. All of them here on MM.

It seems to me that this site has a really solid base. There is a whole bunch of decent people with a lot of common sense that keep the core of MM going. It's what keeps me checking in.

Occasionally things will "blow up". It's bound to happen with this many guys hanging out together with free time. But within a few days most of the fighting has turned to laughing and ribbing and sharing photos etc. You just have to be a little tolerant and have a short memory.

Is it going to die? I don't know. I sure hope not.

Eel

I guess we should all bow down to the great and almighty predicter of the MM demise!!!

I guess thats the kind of comments that are going to kill it, right? I couldn't resist.

It's Bush's fault!!!

>I guess we should all bow
>down to the great and
>almighty predicter of the MM
>demise!!!
>
>I guess thats the kind of
>comments that are going to
>kill it, right? I couldn't
>resist.

Of course not. Why is identifying / discussing a problem always viewed with such negativity? Why cant problems be discussed in a positive light to make things better?

MM is still a good site, but it has lost some "luster" in the opinion of more than a few people. Language has become more crass and vulgar, more threats etc that some find more bothersome. Heaven forbid if you post a picture of any critter on here anymore without fear of people immediately yelling photoshop! or calling its legal harvest into question. People are routinely insulted and called names in threads.

Is it needed? Why is it permissable? Its worse now than it was 2 years ago... with a little more self restraint among the more passionate posters and maybe those that are bothered by such issues, would spend more time.

The other option is to keep going like we are and if people dont like it then they are told to leave and dont let the door hit you in the butt.

-DallanC

Idahoron,

Man that is terrible.I have never been on HI but I couldn't imagine how you felt.Sounds like some folks needed thier asses handed to them.

I hate knowing there are people out there who would even say such a thing,even if they had no intention of doing it.Like I said...severe A$$ whoopin'

horsepoop.gif

This site is here to stay. I have been a member of this site for at least six years. I can't say that I visit any site more frequently than this one. I have received help on areas I had never hunted. Seen many pictures of bomber bucks, and have participated in alot of different pissing contest. Things really aren't any worse than in the past in my opinion. I think this site awesome. It has been said before, but I will say it again. Thanks!!!! To the Founder for starting this site. I think many people here still have alot of positive things to contribute.

Ron,

Yes, I remember you. We exchanged a few emails back then about the area where your daughter took her great buck. A lot of years of applying & I've never drawn that tag... Honestly, by the time the Yetty bs happened, I had given up on HI, so I didn't know all those details about the incident.

I think an important point to be noted is that something as extreme as your situation polarized the membership of a forum, but not 99% to 1%. Divided we fall...

One side note that I find interesting is that you have about the same amount of posts as I. This is a rhetorical question - but I wonder if you & I have low posts for the same reasons.

No matter, I'm glad you posted. Reminds me of some good times. Also, thanks for relaying your story. It is very enlightening and gives us the chance to learn from the past.

Guy

Guy, for about a year I never joined that is why mine is a low number. I just read and looked at the pictures. I joined mainly to get in on the Muzzleloader forum. Also I am a fan of DallanC's Ballistic program. Dallan you are the man! I use that all the time.
With Huntinfo the problem was no one had to register to post. People would talk big and think they would never be cought. I have roamed around a lot looking for discussion about my interests. There are always jerks but i think that this place is pretty good. I don't see it going the same was as huntinfo. Ron

For all posters who are certain of MM's immortality I say consider this:

How many divorced guys/gals do you know that say "I had no idea there was a problem" or "I thought we would last forever" or some variety of taking their situation for granted statement.

Nothing will guarantee the demise of anything as easily as the certainty that it can't die. Take something for granted and you will lose it. More important than how that applies to MM is how that applies to hunting.

Guy

This post has encourged me to use the small, GED recipeient at
32, brains I have. Therefore, I must say this: To all of the
MM members I have offended....... Get over it!!!!

The only bobcat offering apoligies, in order to prevent a catastrophic ending to MM!!!!!!!

MDQ,

Now thats deep; comparing marriage to a hunting website. Well,
gotta run, I think I hear my wife yelling at me to take out the
garbage.......

The only bobcat getting marital, political, AND hunting advice off one website!!!!!

I would bet more married guys said thank god it could not get here fast enough. As far as MM I think it's good to go for quite a while.

MDQ - you don't by chance work in a small square partitioned office for the IRS do you? You sure have a bleek outlook. Out of all the threads I have read and participated on here I would say that your's has to be one of the most negative I have seen. Good luck to you in all you do, you're gonna need it.

It's always an adventure!!!

This thread is hilarious. It reminds me of my buddy in high school who got dumped by his girlfriend.

"Dude, you'll be fine"
"no, life sucks"
"It's just a girl, there's plenty more"
"no, my life is over"
"Whatever man, see ya later"
"bwahahahah"

Andy

Does anyone remember the AllOudoors website? Infighting destroyed it in a few short months. It went from the outdoor website to crashed in 3-4 months when all you read on it was negative horsecrap. Either some dumb dork was trying or wanting to be the authority on everything or it was all negativity.

As long as there are folks like MDQ on this site it does degrade this site and undermine why we are all here, to have fun looking at and talking about hunting. Go destroy another forum.

AWHOLELOTTABULL,

No, I work in a corner office at a software company - the view & my outlook on life are both great. Again, as I said earlier, all I've done is comment on the state of MM - I haven't created the current state. And as far as luck goes, mine is better'n most, so I'm good - but thanks for the kind wish anyway.

Guy

I have noticed that over the last year or so that alot of the 'new members' shown by post count, are basically hit and run to stir it up and to accomplish an agenda via the post they make.

Many of us know each other via our 'handles' and years of our posts and although we may not know each other face to face and for sure we all don't always argee eye to eye... there is no doubt in my mind that if one of you reached out for some help on valid intel on a tag many of us with some experience in a unit drawn would still be there to pitch in with our experience and helpful info.

Even in some of the most heated debates over the years I have grown to learn and to see thru others eyes a different point of view.

I'm thankful to Brian for having M&M available to us all.

Robb

Nothing new, people have been A-holes on here for years. Your comparison to MM and marriage may be correct. Even though we fight all day we still crawl into bed with each other every night. (figuratively) I would not get into bed with Moosie and his man boobs.

Robb,

All well stated & I'm sure all true. I've certainly benefited from the knowledge and experience of many people on this site. You included.

I didn't point my finger at any individual(s) and I know there are many here who travel the high road. Again, you included.

I appreciate everyone that has contributed to MM's success & I will continue to be a regular visitor because of those people.

Guy

After rereading my original post, I realize I took the long way around saying a couple simple things. It's made for some interesting posts, but I don't want to leave this thread without my point (agenda if you wish) being clear. So, here's the short version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm suggesting united support for a common purpose - hunting rights and opportunities.

I'm suggesting those of us that share that common purpose deserve each other's respect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to all of you who've taken the time to read this thread & particular thanks to those who've responded.

Guy

>After rereading my original post, I
>realize I took the long
>way around saying a couple
>simple things. It's made
>for some interesting posts, but
>I don't want to leave
>this thread without my point
>(agenda if you wish) being
>clear. So, here's the
>short version.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>I'm suggesting united support for a
>common purpose - hunting rights
>and opportunities.
>
>I'm suggesting those of us that
>share that common purpose deserve
>each other's respect.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>Thanks to all of you who've
>taken the time to read
>this thread & particular thanks
>to those who've responded.
>
>Guy

There's a good post!

Andy

I'm just going to choose to read Manny's post as a compliment for me & go my merry way! (it also takes a wise man to know when to be oblivious)

Calm down brothaaa Manny! ha

It isn't anything towards you Guy, valid post which made alot of us think if not post a comment.

No doubt any of us or all of us may hook-up in the future to share some good reliable intel for each other for some decent if not huge harvest...

Any of these guys are welcome in my camp...

Robb

Idahoron that is amazing. Thanks for the reminder of the crap that is out there. I occasionally will post pics of my girls on here being very proud of them, never giving the thought of the freaks lurking. I guess I figure there are still enough red-necks out there to keep the world safe. ; ) I only visited that site a few times and never liked it, always had a bad vibe about it. Now I know why.

I feel this site has many more constant contributers or a more positve spin to it, even though we may disagree on some things. I have the attitude that Robb so clearly put into words.

MDQ has his right to his opinion, and I hope many disagree with him (but respect it)as that means this site is here to stay! I feel many are reeling wiht what transpired in the last month or so with one of our most respected "family members" on here. I'm actually still kind of in shock over it, but thats my fault.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom