The Journey IS the Destination

highsierra

The 2024 application season is upon us....So far NM and AZ (elk, pronghorn) showed me no love. Utah and Nevada and Wyoming are next up....fingers crossed. I do know that I should draw a WY elk tag this year as I have ample points for the zones applied for. This WY elk hunt has influenced my choices in other states as the time I am allotting for it conflicts with many of the hunts in other states I typically apply for...thus a little change of strategy this year is in order. For mule deer I will be exclusively applying for those difficult to draw "late season" November and December hunts....ditto for AZ coues deer. Needless to say, if I draw one of my choices, I expect it will be a really good hunt.

In my home state of California I'm in a new situation regarding my application for mule deer....I now have 0-points due to drawing a premium hunt last season. The zone I was successful in drawinig in 2023 was one had gone "all-in" on many years ago, dedicating my first choice to it each and every year for well over 30 years. It was worth the wait as I was able to capitalize by harvesting a tremendous buck (CA standards). So what to do now? I'm now in my mid-50's so waiting my turn for that tag again is out of the question. There are several x-zones that I can draw with 1-4 preference points so I'll probably choose one of those that I am fairly knowledgeable of and concentrate there...maybe I'll get lucky in the random drawing (no pref points)...if not, I'll settle for my home zone (D-6) like I have for the majority of my adult years. This is not my only hope for California however.....Here we can purchase a second tag for some of the other "general" zones. I jumped on this opportunity and will be attempting to scout one of the B-zones on the north coast this summer and then hunt it in the fall. This should offer the adventure I am hoping for....I'm really excited to learn something new!

As more drawing results trickle in over the next month the path I end up on for this journey will become more clear....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom