THE MOST DAMAGE YOU'VE EVER DONE TO AN ANIMAL???

A long time ago to prove to my companion that there was nothing wrong with my muzzleloader shooting straight, I took a 30 yard shot at a robin on top of a juniper tree with my .54 shooting round balls. The gun was shooting fine when it came to robins.?

Damn Bess I don’t have pictures but my first lope some how hit in the jaw and it didn’t die it ran off I let off 4 more rounds missing every one. My .270 holds 5 my uncle came over chewing my a$$ that bigger one ran out after I shot. He continued yelling for about a minute until I told him I had one down. 30 yard yards later I put one in him and not much ribs left on him poor thing I was 18 first lope.

Duck hunting in a 40mph wind and a hen Wigeon got blown right over the blind at about 5 yards. I shot and broke both wings, both legs were hanging by skin, and the wad was stuck in her chest. It was pretty ugly.

Had a chukar doing Mach 1 downhill with me shooting at a 90 degree angle..first shot the wad was 3 ft behind him adjusted the next shot and he puffed and hit a lava cliff like hitting the front end of a semi on I 80...I didn't even go pick him up..

20201017_085152.jpg

Some of the craziest damage that I have seen were with expandable broad heads. I have had a animals over the years that I was surprised by the amount of damage.
2 years ago I was with a guy that shot an antelope quartering toward him with a 260 Remington at about 100 yards. The amount of damage that his 140 gr Accubonds did was really almost unbelievable. The entry hole was about the size of a silver dollar, but the exit had to have been 6” or more. It was crazy!!!

Most damage I've ever done was to a ptarmigan in Alaska with my .264. I tried to shoot its head off but shot a bit too low. I didn't get any photos because I couldn't find much of it.

I also recall one time when my grandad was on a javelina hunt with me. He was using a 30-06 Remington 742. A jack rabbit popped up & was sitting still. He shot and removed both the upper & lower jaws from the eyes foward. The bunny just sat there for about 10 secs. then bounded into the brush. I'm guessing if it didn't bleed to death, it eventually died of starvation.

In a somewhat related incident, I was teeing off on the 11th hole when a mourning dove flew across in front of us about 30 yards away & 10-15 feet high. My golf ball decapitated it, i.e. DRT. I also killed a goose on the same course, but it was feeding on the fairway when my golf ball nailed it.

It was akin to the time Randy Johnson nailed one witha fast ball while pitching in an actual game.

Last edited:
when my powerbelt exploded upon impact , entry hole was four inches diameter. Luckily buck was only 40 yards away and he went down soon after

Can You Hunt a ptarmigan in Alaska with a .264?:D
Not sure how legal it was, but it's not too smart if you can't shoot good. You wind up with very little to eat. Actually, I did pretty good on blue grouse when I was living in CO and hunting deer/elk. The grouse were a bit larger than ptarmigan, so I would aim for the junction between head & body. Most times, it was either a good hit or a clean miss. A couple always made for a good camp meal.

In Texas once, I killed a Rio Grande turkey with the .264 when it decided to tease me while I was waiting for a decent buck to come out of a river bottom. It was almost dark, so I figured what the heck. We had it for dinner the next night.

Which reminds me of the REALLY, REALLY worst damage, which was on that same TX hunt. On the ranch we were hunting, the owner wouldn't let us kill two bucks unless we also killed a doe. So one day, I sat in what he called his "doe blind." It was a 4x4 dealie made of a plywood about 4' high with a bar stool in the middle. It was set up right in the river bottom amid all the brush. Deer trails were everywhere around it.

I wasn't in it more than 15 mins. when I saw a doe's head bobbing just above the brush. She was heading my way. I decided I would see just how close she would get before I shot. It was VERY close, like maybe several feet! I aimed just behind her eye. When the bullet hit, her head exploded. Chunks of brain and bone flew everywhere including on me. But man, was that meat ever clean.

Sorry, no pix.

Last edited:
Hey ODW!

I'll Ask No More Questions!:D

Not sure how legal it was, but it's not too smart if you can't shoot good. You wind up with very little to eat. Actually, I did pretty good on blue grouse when I was living in CO and hunting deer/elk. The grouse were a bit larger than ptarmigan, so I would aim for the junction between head & body. Most times, it was either a good hit or a clean miss. A couple always made for a good camp meal.

In Texas once, I killed a Rio Grande turkey with the .264 when it decided to tease me while I was waiting for a decent buck to come out of a river bottom. It was almost dark, so I figured what the heck. We had it for dinner the next night.

Which reminds me of the REALLY, REALLY worst damage, which was on that same TX hunt. On the ranch we were hunting, the owner wouldn't let us kill two bucks unless we also killed a doe. So one day, I sat in what he called his "doe blind." It was a 4x4 dealie made of a plywood about 4' high with a bar stool in the middle. It was set up right in the river bottom amid all the brush. Deer trails were everywhere around it.

I wasn't in it more than 15 mins. when I saw a doe's head bobbing just above the brush. She was heading my way. I decided I would see just how close she would get before I shot. It was VERY close, like maybe several feet! I aimed just behind her eye. When the bullet hit, her head exploded. Chunks of brain and bone flew everywhere including on me. But man, was that meat every clean.

Sorry, no pix.

30-30 and a gray squirrel.
Cottontail head shot with a .22 mag hollow point.
12 ga. and a wood pecker.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom