The proper deer hunting bullet

ballistic tip or a traditional cup and core.

Also depends on where you are hunting whitetails? a 90lb south Texas whitetail and a 300lb Canadian whitetail are a whole different animal.

I'd say Ballistic Tip most generally , depending on what your wanting to do to them at what yardage ! I did a little ballistic research a few years ago on a Wyoming mule deer hunt with hollow points. I found that in front of a 300 win mag a 90 grain hollow point pushed to extreme speeds is quite devastating ! Buck was dead before he hit the ground. Not something I'd use past a couple hundred yards tho !

ballistic tip or a traditional cup and core.

Also depends on where you are hunting whitetails? a 90lb south Texas whitetail and a 300lb Canadian whitetail are a whole different animal.
South Texas Whitetails weigh quite a bit more than 90 lbs.. Hill Country Texas Whitetails do weigh maybe 90 dressed out. I know-- grew up there & killed many of them.
On a huge Canadian Buck of 300 plus pounds, I'd use either Ballastic Tip or Nosler Partition. Never go wrong with either of those 2 bullets. DOA period. Jerry Gold ?

Kinda like asking which is better ford dodge or chevy. For my 22-250 i found a nosler 64 grain is the best. To be legal i have to be over 60 grains. Wyoming made it legal few years ago. Have had great success. For my 30-06 and .300 mag a cheap box over the counter Winchester bullet has never failed on deer elk. But i do prefer the winchester ballistic silver tip. All my whitetail shots are generally 150 yards or less. Just a small handful out to 300 yards

The reason i bring up the cheap winchester ammo is years ago we didn't have the choices then as we do now. All local places carried the cheap 20 dollar box of winchesters along with the cheap Remingtons.

Its overwhelming now to walk in a store and have 50 different options and 100 different opinions. Thus is why i stuck with winchesters and went to the ballistic silvertips. I know they work for me and i know i can get them.. with that being said im not going to argue with people that my route is the best and the only way to go. I have no reason to change my ways.

We switched from Ballistic Tips had problems when you hit bone they would blow up into many pieces causing blood shot and meat loss. That was 20 years ago. They may have redesigned The bullet by now? We switched to Accubonds very awesome performance.

Any bullet works fine for behind the shoulder shots. For high shoulder shots I only want a solid bullet. My preferred is a 7mm in 160 Barnes TSX

I like a bullet that will penetrate to the chest cavity from any angle. My choice currently is the 100 grain Nosler E tip at 3600 fps from my .257 Weatherby. I've shot 3 whitetails and one antelope with shot distances from 42 yards to 425 yards. Three if them went straight down and the 425 yard large buck made it 30 yards. I would also vote for the Nosler Accubond and Partition. I've had great success with them as well. I've also killed a pile of deer with the Ballistic tip, but it is a little more fragile.
A caveat with the solid copper bullets such as the E tip, Barnes and Hornady GMX: drive them at over 3000 fps for better expansion.

Federal, terminal accent, close medium far straight on, shoulder vitals, doesn't matter
The bullet just flat out works,
Elk deer moose bears humans it flat out kills, anything you hit with it

My Guess would be the one that shoots the best groups out of your rifle !! They will all Kill if you hit them in the right spot and even sometimes in the wrong spot

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom