The Snow is Getting Deep

In the last 12 days it has snowed over 30 inches at my house and has rained 4x. I'd never seen rain at my house in January. I've only owned the place for 4 years, but it's been a really weird winter. It took me 2 hours to plow my driveway with a four wheeler this morning. Slushy nasty stuff. The deer and elk seem to be holding up alright so far, but we still have 3-4 months of winter weather. ?

As of now winter is looking great. We have had a ton of snow, but in the valleys and benches it’s melted really fast. Rain in January is great isn’t it. Get to have our cake and eat it too. Hasn’t got real cold hardly at all. Hopefully we can keep this pattern going. If we can get to mid February without cold temps and crusted snow I think we’ll be in great shape. Beautiful buck by the way, he looked to be in great condition for mid January.

I'm curious how Wyoming/Colorado/Nevada are fairing with snow depths. I agree with fullthrottle as far as lower country feed and cold crust goes. Time will tell.

I seen a bull elk in snow up to his chest two weeks ago and it has snowed another two feet since then. I think we will have more than average winter kill this year. The rain in Northern Utah on the foot hills have been a blessing. So far deer are doing OK. Temperatures have been manageable. A lot of snow in Bear Lake. They might start feeding soon there.

Don Day says were are going back to an arctic situation in about a week. The map he showed on his video said 30 to 40 degrees below normal. Hope he's wrong. In the meantime, let's hope we get enough warm dry weather to open up some areas.

The snow is getting deep in central Idaho, most of the animals are pushed to the valley floor. Three big Bulls showed up at my house yesterday

Pretty deep in regions here in WY, coupled with sub zero temps.
This last storm dropped 8 feet of snow in the Snowies in three days.
Where we are we have had snow cover for over three months and are only at 5K'.... and our snow season has yet to begin! Quite a few days of below zero temps the last two fronts, with wind chills in the -40/-50 range at times.

NW Colorado deer are hurting bad. Real bad. Antelope are in worse shape with fawns already dead. Elk are thin and weak. Sad deal.

Kids are really tired of it in Craig! Steamboat has gotten 138" this year and Hayden is at 127" for the year. Yuck!!!

All great droughts end in floods. I pray this is it. Moisture is so welcomed yet witnessing the plight of our animals is heart wrenching. Ranchers are not pleased with the elk busting down hay corrals or intermixing with their cattle but seemingly are begrudgingly tolerate to the situation. Yesterday I witnessed 100's of big game animals looking desperate and weak. South slopes are buried, deep snow all over, road kills are high, and elk are in town.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom