The state of Idaho F & G is considering a .50 centerfire ban

feddoc

Long Time Member
I don't think it is quite right to suggest a ban.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=2513

Idaho Fish & Game Commission Seeking Public Input!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission is seeking public input regarding proposed Big Game Hunting Equipment Restrictions that will be considered during its meeting January 10-12. It is essential that your voice be heard! Please click on http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/surveys/bgWeapons/ and complete the Commission?s electronic questionnaire.

Of particular importance is the proposed Maximum Caliber Restriction. The Commission is considering a new regulation that would prohibit the use of .50 caliber or larger centerfire rifle ammunition for big game hunting in Idaho. The questionnaire states that some sportsmen have expressed concerns regarding ?fair chase aspects of long-range cartridges.?

If implemented, this will set a dangerous precedent that, based upon experience elsewhere, will lead to the prohibition of additional calibers commonly used by American sportsmen for decades. Further, there is no biological justification for this restriction. Game management policies should be determined based upon sound science, not the popular politics of the day.

Finally, a precedent would be set that allows one group of hunters to unilaterally determine what manner of hunting is ethical for all other hunters. This runs contrary to basic principles of individual freedom that have been alive and well in the wilds of Idaho since before statehood.

PLEASE COMPLETE THE QUESTIONNAIRE TODAY!

I have zero problems with the ban and don't really buy into the NRA scare tactics for the most part anyway.

Didn't know "restrictions" are only supposed to be tied to "biological reasons" either.

Is the proposed restriction have anything to do with game management? Lots of restrictions on the books and lots of them have nothing to do with game managment; people management, yes.

Do you have another link to the questionnaire, I can't get the one you provided to work.

I filled out the questionaire yesterday. I thought the .50 cal ban was a good idea, except that I think they should allow .50 handguns. Miller's right...most regs are about managing people, not wildlife.

From the way the original post reads, to ban all 50 cal. centerfire rifle ammo, will also ban others then just the 50 cal BMG cartidge. It would also ban the 50 cal used in some Sharps rifles, and ban any 50 cal pistol ammo once a rifle is made for that cartidge. I believe there are lever action rifles being made to chamber the 50 cal S&W, so it goes too.
Not a very well drawn up and poor thinking went into this proposal, should be revised or just thrown out in my opinion.

RELH

I don't think there has been a proposal. This is just a survey. Maybe they will take the other 50 cals into consideration. Maybe not. If the commission has a chance to go backwards, you can bet they will.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom