The year that everything changed.

jaketbs

[p][p align=right]Thread Views Counter....[/p]

First a little background on myself. I have hunted most of my life I grew up in central California on a small family farm. I used to hunt anything I could from doves in the fall, to crows and squirrels anytime I could sneak away from my chores. My dad and grandfather have always been deer hunters so I came by it naturally. I just had one problem growing up. They are road hunters now I'm not by any means bashing them because they have been extremely successful with both of them shooting 180" deer. But I've always felt there was more to be had. So this year I've decided to make a change.

Starting last December I have been slowly but surely been acquiring gear for a couple backpack hunts this year. I bought a Sitka bivy 45, I upgraded my binos to vortex viper 10x42, and have been tuning up my gun with a timney trigger and a new Nikon monarch scope. I still have ALOT of gear to get but one piece at a time is the best way I have come up with for myself.

Outside of California I have only ever hunted one state for deer, that being Colorado. So like a dumbass I only applied for Colorado once again. But since joining monster muleys I have realized that there are many more options then just hunting two areas in two different states. I am extremely fortunate because I have a good friend of mine who has came to the same conclusion I have. So next year I believe I will be starting a good tag application regiment.

The biggest benefit so far from my decision so far is my health. At age 23 I was in terrible physical shape so much that I didn't do things that I would've enjoyed for fear that I would look bad or not be able to keep up with some of my friends who are avid hikers. So far I've lost 20 pounds and feel like I did when I was playing football in high school. It is honestly one of the best things I have done for myself in quite awhile. I plan to run a 5k here at the end of June, with one of my sisters who just completed a half marathon a couple weeks ago so I've got to be ready for that because she will not let me slack off on race day.

So just a little update on my progress. I've slowed down on my worked regimen but I'm still exercising 3-4 times a week and in the best shape I've been in in a long time. My diet is by far the best thing I have kept up and I am proud to say I haven't had one soda since March. I feel good and can't wait to get out in the field and put my body to work.

So a couple months back I decided that my next big purchase for hunting would be a spotting scope. Well after a few months of saving a couple bass pro gift cards from my birthday I was able to purchase a Swarovski ATS 65 HD and couldn't be happier. We went on a family vacation last weekend to Tomales bay and there are Tule elk on Point Reyes just about two miles away from where we camped and I was able to find a couple of groups while using my spotting scope for the first time I was so fricken excited my girlfriend told me to calm down because I was giddy like a little school girl.

I cannot wait to get out into the field this year for hunting season I have two tags that I plan to make the most of, one is a general season D3-D5 tag here in CA and the other is a 4th season tag in CO for unit 38 now I don't expect to shoot any monster bucks from either unit but I'm damn sure going to do my best to be successful in both. I have been doing some scouting here in CA and haven't found much but I will keep looking this unit is new to me so I am heading up as often as I can to try and locate some nice deer.

So a lot has changed since my last post but I've had one hell of a time. My CA deer tag made a bland soup but at least I got to learn more about an area close to me for next year. On the last weekend of the hunt me and few guys I know went out and tried to locate some deer as they had already begun their migration with a storm we had, just had. We were lucky enough to come across one real nice buck that we jumped by accident but never could get a shot on him or locate him after we saw him just the one time. CA can be hard for me to hunt as sometimes it can be difficult to get away from the family business when I know things have to be done and I don't have a trip planned, so that is one of my main goals for next year is to try and devote more time to being able to hunt the state I live in. I still have a bear tag and hopefully I will be able to get out in the field a couple more times to fill a bear tag for the first time.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom