These youngsters ran the gauntlet.

2lumpy

Long Time Member
They’re not safe here yet either but they made it off the mountian, into the yard this evening. They showed up too early for their own well bring but it nice to see them on the apples regardless, but I'm guessing they’ll eat a bullet in the morning.

EFB2A0FE-6016-4C1E-B838-A7D58F61972A.jpeg

AF0D2C6C-3A7F-4923-B416-0F8A92E05119.jpeg

If someone kills them, I hope it’s at least someone who is appreciative.
Really. I don’t mind at all that they get killed, that is, after all, why we fight to keep them around....... I just wish there were more of them and I wish the folks would let them get a few years on them. They are so much more interesting and so much more appreciated when they get to grow somewhere close to their potential. Oh well, it is what it is.

It might be time to get your guide license. Lodging and meals included. :ROFLMAO:
Anyone I’d guide or cook for would be a one trick pony. It would be like a burner phone.......thrown in the trash when your done.

Jim Shockey’s stock value would go through the roof.

I live one acre from thousands of acres of BLM, then USForest Service land, so it they leave my yard and go past that little rustic shed you can see in that picture of those young bucks, they are legal to kill. They do leave, to bed in the sage and they get shot 200/300 yards from my house, from off the road to the State’s fish hatchery.

Really. I don’t mind at all that they get killed, that is, after all, why we fight to keep them around....... I just wish there were more of them and I wish the folks would let them get a few years on them. They are so much more interesting and so much more appreciated when they get to grow somewhere close to their potential. Oh well, it is what it is.
I meant maybe it’s a kids first or someone who needs the meat. Not a bozo who straps it to the car hood or leaves it the hide for a week.

It’s a blessing to have them around. They should be shown some respect when we kill them. Which sounds really weird.

I meant maybe it’s a kids first or someone who needs the meat. Not a bozo who straps it to the car hood or leaves it the hide for a week.

It’s a blessing to have them around. They should be shown some respect when we kill them. Which sounds really weird.
Not weird at all. We love them too. Watched the fawns nursing in the side yard tonight and two of the young bucks working on their dueling techniques, while I was fixing our supper this evening.

I like to think it is some of our neighbors kids that kill them and I know for a fact some do. Certainly not all however. A guy has to kill his buck ya know. It’s a faulty manhood thing, I guess. No one around here needs the meat...... anyone that needs food is well cared by either the Feds, the State or the Church. In a few cases from all three. Deer in this State aren’t shot because folks are hungry.

Having said that, as much as I care about the mule deer, as long as there are no laws broken, I keep my big mouth shut. I’m strong believer in the idea that we have big game because we want to hunt them, If it weren’t for sport hunting they would have been long gone years ago. So...... we have them.... so we can hunt them...... and as soon as we can’t hunt them they’ll be gone.

Absolutely want them respected. They are a National treasure, I can’t begin to image the time and money I’ve invested over the years to preserve them for future sport hunting generations.

Maybe I’m the weird one Blue.?

Nice to see them tho, always fun to watch.

*On a side note, if you start guiding and offering B&B - think of all the people you can try your country gravy on!

I know, that's just mean. :) :)

Blank, that’s not near as funny as you think.

When I was planning my retirement back in 2012, I thought, I think I’d like to spend my falls in hunting camps, I think I could cook. I wouldn’t even care if they paid me, I’d just love to be out there, seeing the sights and interacting with the folks.

I even went to the extent of having a batch of business cards made up and got myself down to the the Safari Club International show in Las Vegas. Started hand out business cards and before the show was over I got called to do an interview with three different outfits. All three offered me a job, one was a dream job in fact. It was with a young woman and her father, that run
Alaskan brown bear hunts, off of two different yachts. I said to her, I don’t thibk I can cook the kind of meals you folks are going to want to serve to the kind of clients your guiding. She said, well, you can cook can’t you? I said well, I can but........ you’re serving a lot fancier food than I’m used to preparing. She said, “hey, don’t worry about it. We serve the same meals every week. I’ll train you to cook just those meals and you’ll never have to cook anything else. Our menu never changes.”

I wanted that job bad but I had to turn her down because she needed a Cook from the first of May through through the end of November, no significant time off and I wasn’t interested in that kind of commitment. I wasn’t looking for income, I was looking for the experience. She needed a full time Chef.

Another tempting offer was at a fly in tent camp for sheep/moose/caribou in the Yukon. I was pumped when this offer was made.... until I said, “how are the bugs in your camp? The outfitter said, “they’re not bad....... when there is a good breeze blowing.” I said, “Oh, okay, cause I hate bugs...... how offen does the wind blow”? He said, “hardly ever.”

Regardless........ can you imagine if I’d have gone to hunting camp and whipped out a batch of biscuits and gravy? They’d have hung me right then and there! No questions asked........ somebody would have said, “get a gun”.

I guess you’d have to say “he dogged a bullet”.

Absolutely a true story!!

Sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re the bug......

Last edited:
I was watching a show on the Food Channel yesterday, where they were cooking pizza and raving about it! The top and all the stuff on it looked pretty good. They didn't edit very well in one cut tho, and you could see the bottom was burned just as black as midnight!! I would have sent it back!!

I heard they just pitch those in the trash anyway Blank, they’re cooked for show not to eat......

Out of the young bucks in the yard, night before last, only one showed back up with the does last night. I think they killed the little four point and the spike. I’ll be watching again tonight. This hunt runs through Sunday so there’s still time to kill’em all.

Out of the young bucks in the yard, night before last, only one showed back up with the does last night. I think they killed the little four point and the spike. I’ll be watching again tonight. This hunt runs through Sunday so there’s still time to kill’em all.
Is it hard for a non resident to get a tag for your backyard.....I mean Unit? Asking for a friend.

The deer closest to the pickup is Katlyn. S/he showed up the day before the season opened on October 23. Tonight at 7:01 the season closed. Katlyn survived but not without a valiant attempt on s/is life, as the last of the sand trickled out of the hour glass. A suburban full of fellers bailed out and run s/im out of the hay and up onto the ridge....... but just be before s/he hit the top s/he whirled and came back into the neighbors yard. No shot.

Katlyn has been joined by 5 other young bucks since the start of the rifle season, s/he and a really small three by survived..... the other four are no longer here, so I’m assuming they’re no longer with us.

With the rut coming in the next week or two it will be interesting to see if any mature bucks survived for at least little natural selection to take place. Regardless Katlyn will be watching from the sidelines, wondering what the hell has gotten into everybody.

8F4C7483-6116-459D-A1C8-A8106188455A.jpeg

Last edited:
That's true. About the only time you see a blacktail buck is when it's his idea.
Is it true then.... that absence makes the heart grow fonder? Because, while these deer become quite familiar, over the winter, watching their antics everyday is pretty dang entertaining.

Is it true then.... that absence makes the heart grow fonder? Because, while these deer become quite familiar, over the winter, watching their antics everyday is pretty dang entertaining.
I think it's true.They say these blacktails that live in mild climate areas like on the coast have a home range of about 1 mile square. They spend their entire lives there. After the season you can often drive through an area you hunted hard and he'll be standing next to the road mocking you. It's kind of a love hate emotion.

Last edited:
That's true. About the only time you see a blacktail buck is when it's his idea.
I’m adding this to my collection of “eelgrass logic”. It’s another classic. Shakesperian even. ?

Any deer that lives it’s entire life in a mile square, knows it’s environment, front to back. In your country I can see how they could give you the slip anytime they choose to.

Every deer type in No. America is unique and special. Anyone reason to cherish the species.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom