They're Up

twsnow18

The fawn mortality rates that is... }>

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/winter-kill-was-less-expected-mule-deer-and-elk-fared-better

Was it bad? Yeah. As bad as the glass half empty guys thought? Nope.

Mccall / Weiser = 3% fawn survival.
Smoky Bennett = 60%
South Hills = 57%

As I've been saying, the winter came on in record fashion. But it also died in record fashion. The early spring warm up/green up/heavy rain provided some of the worst spring skiing conditions we've had, melting snow packs fairly quickly.

The healthy adult deer, the ones we're all looking to kill every fall, should show excellent antler growth. The spike and forky hunters will surely be disappointed this fall. Those damn wolves...

You think 3% survival in my neck of the woods isn't bad ? The glass of the future isn't half empty, it's 97% empty .

>You think 3% survival in my
>neck of the woods isn't
>bad ? The glass of
>the future isn't half empty,
>it's 97% empty .

I meant overall statewide, to show comparisons. Not everywhere went extinct.

Got me.

Yes I read and meant to post here, but thought there would be talk of IDFG conspiracy etc.

I do think this was a harder winter than they are making it sound like. Seems all of Idaho S of Whitebird was hit very hard. Heard that maybe does condition may affect ability to conceive this year. If so, this would be fairly notable.

That said, I have personally seen more fawns that the 3% number would indicate in areas around Squaw Butte above Emmett, which is key wintering and transition ground for Weiser herd. I'm sure it is worth the farther north you head. That said I own a cabin in Cascade and this spring the number of last years fawns I see is also surprising.

Hopefully my pessimism is overkill, but I know I would still like to see other consider some personal restraint on the taking of does in S Idaho.

PS Elk sure seem to have done well.

>I do think this was a
>harder winter than they are
>making it sound like.

I agree, marketing. But I do think buck hunting will be pretty good this year. If you haven't read Robby Denning's article about the years following big winters, you should.

>That said I
>own a cabin in Cascade
>and this spring the number
>of last years fawns I
>see is also surprising.

I've noticed this as well. The does and fawns I have seen around McCall all winter/spring have looked surprisingly healthy.

The deer that survived in my area still look pretty poor and I've only seen one new fawn .

Hopefully the next few years will allow for a good recovery, but I fear we've lost basically a whole generation of deer .

I agree that the elk have done much better, I've seen several around my house and in the mountains nearby. They all look fat , dumb and happy , as they should this time of year.

Smart man.

Good news is you chose a place to live where it's a reasonable drive N to good Whitetail country if the Muleys need a break this year.

The deer here need a break for sure, I'm going to concentrate on elk the next few years. I don't have a ton of elk hunting experience but I'm going to dive in and figure it out .

I am non resident, why don't they limit one deer tag per person. Not sure if it would mean a big difference, but you have to start somewhere.

All of the extra deer tags are for whitetail does. Primarily in the northern half of the state and in East Idaho for the river bottoms. I may be wrong, but I don't think there are any extra mule deer tags, or have been for a while. You can shoot two mule deer by purchasing a second tag at non-resident rate (appx $350).

That's what I was talking about the second Muley tag for the non res fee. I guess that doesn't change the quota just helps sell more tags.

Idaho75 that is what I meant, you could buy a second deer tag, just do away with it.

I know not everybody, is going to agree. But in the long run it might help the herd. Maybe

they should allow people from Idaho buy a second tag, at non resident price. Non residents

cannot apply for a second tag. At least he might help a little. But then again is it fair,to

people from Idaho. Personally being a non resident I happy with one tag, can't be

greedy when there is a problem.

11ax, 21x, 36ax, ............., actually quite a few extra mule deer tags. Won't be good for blasting forkedhorns on road like last 3 years. Hunters who have spots and put in miles shouldn't see much of a drop. Last three years have been incredible! Couldn't keep going like that. Great run for us in Idaho

+1 boise. Last 3-4 years have been great, seen and taken some good bucks. Wish it would have lasted, but hopefully we go back to an average type winter with an early spring this coming winter.

>+1 boise. Last 3-4 years
>have been great, seen and
>taken some good bucks.
>Wish it would have lasted,
>but hopefully we go back
>to an average type winter
>with an early spring this
>coming winter.

Agreed, it has been great hunting. This wait is killing me, I'm just ready to get the disappointment over with.

I am wondering WHY F&G has NOT reduced the general season in the areas that were Hammered with winter kill !! I can not see how leaving it from Oct 10th thru Oct 24th can do anything too help the herd #s !! And why have they not also eliminate the {2nd tag/non-resident} for the harder hit areas ??

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom