Thinking about a metal roof.

Cons- price and it often looks dirty
Pros- easy install, durable and last longer than shingles.

They do last longer. Some of the colors don’t hold up and start to fade over time. The browns and reds do this. Standing Seam is the way to go if you really want a metal roof. I don’t like the pro panel due to the exposed screws and lengths offered. Standing Seam is extruded and you can run any length you want. My dream is to have a copper roof someday but not in my current house. It needs to be designed to have such a roof.

You can hear rain or hail hitting the roof. Snow tends to slide off losing some of the insulation value during the winter. I do like them though.

Love mine no complaints. I have the 16”streamline seamless and it’s the only way to go!

Metal is imo a no Brainer for longevity. Warning, when snow comes off it comes off in a help. Need snow stops to avoid getting someone hurt.

I'm Surprised There Isn't More People Wounded By Metal Roofs!

The Snow Turns In To Ice & One Day It Warms Up a Little & Watch Out,She's Coming Down Quick!

They've Ruined Modern Day Shingles!

Commercial Grade Shingles Are about as Good as What Residential Used to Be!

Ain't All This Cheap Expensive Stuff Great?

I second what the captain said. Get the standing seam because I don’t care what you do, the screws fall out. If you do go with screws, put twice as many in.

We were at a wrasslin tournament in Alamosa when they had one of those heavy wet snowfalls. A big hunk of snow slid off the hotel roof onto about 20 cars parked up next to the building. Mashed the hoods and set off all the alarms. A nice change from all the gunfire and sirens you normally hear in Alamosa :ROFLMAO:

I would think in snow country metal roofs are the only way. And i think most people in snow country have figured out its mandatory to tend to the snow on the roof.

Pro panel works fine, sometimes the screws have to be tended to as well.

Standing seam is a sure sign of yuppies

Sometimes the Galvanized, corrugated cheap stuff can look real good. I’ve used that stuff for just about everything imaginable like siding, roofing, interior finishes and soffit in lieu of vinyl or aluminum. I think it looks real good as a roof for some of the smaller houses with the right wall covering like stucco or stained vertical wood. Even better looking than original Galvanized Is Galvalume. It’s kind of a classier looking Galvanized that we’ve bought in coils. The cool thing there is that it’s kind of rare to see on a roof. It’s a little less shiny than the Galvanized so it doesn’t make the roof as flashy.

I’ve had both. For sheds and cabins, metal roof for me. I have a rental property that has a metal roof. It has leaked but is older. I did repair it and it seems to be fine. However, given the style of the house, it looks out of place. I’ll be replacing it with shingles.

I have seen people shingle their house and then, on their overhangs that are not steep, use metal roofing. I actually think it’s a good idea.

One thing to consider (I know, obvious), when you install those sheets, make sure there is no wind! Handling the sheets can be a pain.

My metal roof with snowstops
IMG_2841.jpeg

That looks amazing mrc!
Big time!

Can you tell us more about that brand and model & how old it is mrc? I really like it. It looks like there aren’t many roof penetrations either. Maybe there is on the back side. I have thought of making a decent sized false chimney on the end of a house and maybe one in the middle to catch all of the plumbing vents and other exhaust vents. That way you get rid of the most common sources for leaks and don’t have to look at as many pipes coming through the roof.

Two plumbing vent pipes on the back of the house.They’re close enough to the peak that we don’t have to worry about snow wiping them out. On the garage I used a cheater inside plumbing vent so I wouldn’t have anything coming thru the roof.The shingles are Edco Arrowline. Expensive! About 12 years on the garage and 7 on the house. 48” long panels with I think five screws on each. Didn‘t put snow stops on the garage and it comes off like an avalanche.Snow can wipe out vent pipes if they’re low on a roof or not protected.

Lots of info thank you! Never thought of snow stops will bring up the question. Will get those installed if anything around the doorways.

We almost went with a metal roof on our remodel, but the cost difference between metal and the best quality comp shingles was $20k!!

Lots of info thank you! Never thought of snow stops will bring up the question. Will get those installed if anything around the doorways.
It's no joke. This is my shop at our office after this winter. We had snow bars ordered, but the snow got here before they got installed so we had to wait until spring. This is what it looked like in April.

20230409_162255.jpg

Had one. Removed it and put on asphalt shingles. I live on the wrong side of (and too close to) a rain shadow...

If you go the standing seam route make sure to look at roofs your contractor has done previously. Poorly installed standing seam steel is really unsightly besides possibly not being able to shed the elements. mtmuley

Amazing the gutters stayed up.

Yeah, a lot of gutter guys won't do them on metal roofs because of that. My guy says he's figured out how to mount them so the water falls in the gutter but the snow sheds over the top of it. So far so good.

The roof guy was afraid the small snow cleats wouldn't hold the weight so ordered some "snow bars." Hopefully they'll do the trick.

Back in the 1992 I put 30 year dimensional asphalt shingles on a building. In about 12 years they started blowing off. They weren’t sealing down. Warranties don’t mean anything. A roofer saw mine and stopped to talk to me. He put the same shingles on his house and they were blowing off too. He said everywhere he installed them the same thing was happening. Company wouldn’t do anything.

Lifetime GAF shingles are only covered for 15 years for wind damage. I don’t think they will replace your roof if it starts blowing off in 13 years.

One thing I like about metal are the paint options that reflect sunlight. My outbuildings have a white finish that reflects 85 percent of the light that strikes them, so they remain cool, even in the summer. Plus, you can see them from over the horizon when the sun hits them just right.

Here is a metal roof on the Victorian farm house my wife had installed several years ago. About 10 years ago she had redwood roof shingles installed which was the original shingles on the house when built in the late 1800's.
Darn flickers, woodpeckers, kept pecking holes in the roof and the wife decide it was time to fix that problem. She had a professional roofing company do the installation and cost was about 70 thousand.
RELH
IMG_5215.jpg

Roofers will get a high gloss metal roof on the house while we're camping all next week so can' t wait see the results. Guess our roof isn't at enough slope for snow stops but we haven't really had that much snow since the 2016 winter. Also said that insurance should go down for a metal roof.

I have standing seem and wouldn't use anything different is a snow or fire region. Pros:

Long life
Lower insurance(if in rural fire area, I am)
Sheds snow if in high snow area(I am)
I like the look

Cons:

Can be noisy, but we don't get a lot of rain and it doesn't bother me
Sheds snow, so be aware of where it's being shed, we had to change some landscaping after the first winter, and I have a big dent in the front fender of my truck. Took a few days to figure out where it came from.

That Roof Looks Like A Real Beach To Roof!

Here is a metal roof on the Victorian farm house my wife had installed several years ago. About 10 years ago she had redwood roof shingles installed which was the original shingles on the house when built in the late 1800's.
Darn flickers, woodpeckers, kept pecking holes in the roof and the wife decide it was time to fix that problem. She had a professional roofing company do the installation and cost was about 70 thousand.
RELHView attachment 113639

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom