Thinking about putting in for an oryx

Clownpuncher

I have a question for any and all. I was thinking of putting in for the oryx hunts next year, probably on base from what I have been reading. My questions are for the ones who hunt them and have been successful.

1. Was it a fun hunt? Looks like a blast.

2. How is the meat? I have never tasted it before and I don't like shooting things if I am not going to eat it.

3. Is the base hunt worth it?

4. About how many years should a non-res from Colorado expect before he gets the email that he/she drew the tag? I believe NM is a lottery system anyways, correct? with most going to residents, as it should.

1. Yes, lot's of fun, more like antelope hunting, BIG antelope hunting.

2. Meat is awesome, some say the best.

3. Yes, the on-range OIL hunts are the best.

4. With no points it's all luck of the draw, and your odds are terrible, now in the 1-5% range. You could easily go a lifetime and never draw.

Agree with all of the above except in my opinion the meat IS the best and also makes one of the most awesome mounts. Start applying now, and also start cozying up to every Tom, #####, or Harry that you know that already has drawn so that they'll invite you to go with them. That's the next best thing until it's finally your turn.

You might also consider a private ranch hunt. Expensive, but not compared to what a trip to Africa would otherwise cost...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom