This is a disaster in the making haha

Both comments are correct!
It sounds good on paper but reality is, it's going to be a mess.

Zeke

How so? While it sounds intriguing, you either have to commit to a 4-day float trip or get lucky enough to get one of the limited access permits. It seems like those two factors will keep the numbers to a minimum.

How so? While it sounds intriguing, you either have to commit to a 4-day float trip or get lucky enough to get one of the limited access permits. It seems like those two factors will keep the numbers to a minimum.
If that’s the case you’ll have a chit load of people with a OIL OTC bison tag in that area that will be PISSED that now they can’t access the hunting area. Like I said. This will be a disaster. They should have a separate drawing for this opportunity. High buy in (full tag price, no refund), if you draw great. If not, you can apply next year.

Probably. But, if you're smart, you'll secure access before you buy the permit. They are OTC after all. It will be interesting to see what happens in the first year.

I wonder how the tribe feels about all of this...

I’ve floated the river on a sheep hunt. It was unbelievable but one hell of a commitment. If you chose to float the river and hunt buff. It will be epic regardless of the outcome

If They can Find an Animal Anywhere they're gonna put a Price Tag on it's Head!

I Ain't Blowin My F'N Points on that Hunt!

Anyone that purchases one of these and then is frustrated by the difficulty or inability to access the bison deserves exactly what they got. But the Division appreciates your generous donation.

I do wonder if there are opportunities to influence the UNHM for better access for this limited purpose. If the problem is that bad, it seems this is something that could be worked out. Or at least SHOULD be able to be worked out.

Hey Niller!

Buffalo = $$$!

I Agree!

You might wanna take a Light Jacket with you on that Hunt!:D

Anyone that purchases one of these and then is frustrated by the difficulty or inability to access the bison deserves exactly what they got. But the Division appreciates your generous donation.

I do wonder if there are opportunities to influence the UNHM for better access for this limited purpose. If the problem is that bad, it seems this is something that could be worked out. Or at least SHOULD be able to be worked out.

If that area is that inaccessible that it requires a four-day float trip I’m curious about all the equipment and items necessary to pull it off.
If it’s a typical once-in-a-lifetime hunt where there are three or four members along for each tag holder and all of their gear. And then you have to get the bison out of there how many boats and what size would they be?
Would the hunters need to hire float service are or do some folks have that kind of equipment of their own?
With all of the challenges involved I really don’t see a lot of folks wanting to do this but then again it is Utah.

There are thousands of private boaters with the equipment to do this trip. I think group size is limited to 25 people for a permit.

I personally have a 16 ft. It could handle at least half a buffalo.

So Within 3 or 4 Trips You'd have the Hunt Complete?:D:D:D

There are thousands of private boaters with the equipment to do this trip. I think group size is limited to 25 people for a permit.

I personally have a 16 ft. It could handle at least half a buffalo.

Elkassassin this is your opportunity!
Big bold letters!

THE PISSCUTER HUNTERS FOUNDATION
WE CARE ABOUT THE ANIMALS
THAT NO ONE ELSE DOES!
COME TOO THE BASIN OTDOOR/HUNTING EXPO
WE WILL BE OFFERING UNLIMITED AMOUNTS OF
HUNTERS CHOICE BUFFALO HUNTS ON THE
FAMED NINE MILE/RANGE CREEK HUNT UNIT
NEVER BEEN HUNTED FOR BUFFALO BEFORE
JUST $5 AN APPLICATION!
AS A BONUS WE WILL GIVE TWO LUCKY WINNERS
A FULLY GUIDED WALK IN ACCESS HUNT
YOU WALK WE WILL SHOW YOU THE WAY
MANY FAMOUS CELEBRITIES WILL BE ATTENDING
INCLUDING THE ONE AND ONLY
BOBCATBESS

All proceeds from the 5 dollar applications and entrance fees to the Basin Outdoor/Hunting Expo will go to fund elkassassin & friends future hunting endeavors for Utah pisscutters.

The DWR can't stand to see anything Live/Survive!

KILL BABY!

KILL!

Sorry bessy, this isn’t about that. This is going to be an extremely low success rate hunt if it happens. People are not going to kill baby kill. That’s what is plain and simple.

The biggest benefit is going to be wealthy people that can now buy an OTC bison tag every year and use resources to get to where the bison are that the vast majority don’t have. Good for them. They’ll kill a big bull every year. The rest of us? Yeah...good luck!

How Long will it be before several of These Tags will be Auctioned off/HUNT-EXPO TAGS/Etc?

OIL Tags,they'll Pull MEGA-BUCKS!

Well I actually think it happens to be a pretty cool idea. If I strike out on everything else in the draws, I just may try my luck. I'll never get a chance to hunt buffalo otherwise.

Well I actually think it happens to be a pretty cool idea. If I strike out on everything else in the draws, I just may try my luck. I'll never get a chance to hunt buffalo otherwise.

I like the positivity! go get after it.

I’m not against the hunt. People just need to understand the facts behind it. Very, very few bison will be killed on that OTC hunt, no matter how many tags are sold. Even when the UNHM allowed the DWR to take people in, basically guiding them, there were hardly any killed. And that was even accessing via vehicle.

Good for whomever gives this a go. It’s going to be very difficult to impossible, depending upon your resources, to fill a tag. Any punched tag will be well-earned.

Last edited:
I don’t know that I ever saw the official number, but what I heard I was absolutely shocked how many people were successful. I was wrong on how many I thought would be killed.

Good for those hunters, I say. A bunch of people fulfilled dreams of killing a bison and even more are out of the bison pool for good. Win-win.

I don’t know that I ever saw the official number, but what I heard I was absolutely shocked how many people were successful. I was wrong on how many I thought would be killed.

Good for those hunters, I say. A bunch of people fulfilled dreams of killing a bison and even more are out of the bison pool for good. Win-win.
This is from the hunt planner for this hunt.

"During the 2020-21 season a total of 248 bison permits were sold for this unit. A total of 123 bison were harvested. Hunt success was 57%."

It also said there basically aren't any bison on the unit and as far as they know nobody has harvested this year. The bison got smart really quickly. The hunt wasn't on the list of approved hunts for next year that went through the rac and board last month, so this year is the last year unless they move back in the future.

That is good to know about next year. I went with my boys last year and we got 1 nice bull. Then I went back with my daughter and we got froze in and got a helicopter ride out. LOL I went early this year in October, but there was very little sign of any Bison so far this year. I leave again next week and if necessary the middle of November too. This hunt is super hard, but has been addicting for me. I hope to find a bull, but if not it it’s been one heck of an experience with several family members and friends!! On a side note DWR is only reporting around 100 permits being sold this year so far!

That is good to know about next year. I went with my boys last year and we got 1 nice bull. Then I went back with my daughter and we got froze in and got a helicopter ride out. LOL I went early this year in October, but there was very little sign of any Bison so far this year. I leave again next week and if necessary the middle of November too. This hunt is super hard, but has been addicting for me. I hope to find a bull, but if not it it’s been one heck of an experience with several family members and friends!! On a side note DWR is only reporting around 100 permits being sold this year so far!
Have you been going in on range creek or going down the river?

"During the 2020-21 season a total of 248 bison permits were sold for this unit. A total of 123 bison were harvested. Hunt success was 57%."

Wow. That’s even more than I was told. That’s crazy, and awesome!

I’d also love to hear any stories people have from these hunts. Floating it and hunting bison was a dream of mine.

Anybody Understand What Kind of hit that is to the Herd?

Maybe They Can Claim they were all REZ Bison!
They don’t need to “claim” they were tribal bison because they know for sure they were. The whole reason they had the hunt is that bison from tribal ground were crossing the river and the tribe couldn’t stop then. The bison we harvested all had Ute tribe ear tags in them and I know lots of other people’s did too.

As far as how much of a hit it was to their herd? Nobody knows because the tribe doesn’t share how many bison are in their herd.

C3382B9A-42B0-4361-AD79-15607151E20D.jpeg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom