Thompson

I'm sure it will. My Accura does. Blackhorn 209 and no excuses bullet. You have to be mindful of the wind at long range with muzzy's as it can move the bullet many inches off target.

I would think with a sabot you can. But I wouldn’t trust a conical like No Excise to. Because of the QLA it may not shoot conicals well. With my Omega it would shoot No excuses thru the target sideways. And it’s not the bullets fault. It is the QLA (false muzzle). Had to cut mine off. Some shoot fine, some don’t. If you call T/C and asked them, they will tell you the same thing. Their rifles with a QLA are designed to shoot sabots. They don’t guarantee that they will shoot conicals.

Last edited:
My White would shoot the No Excuses sideways (tumbled) if I loaded it hot or if I used pellets. Never a problem with the recommended load.

I have never used hot loads. My elk load is 90-95 gr BH. Never shoot over 105 gr

Google: Thompson center QLA issues and you should find quite a bit of info.

The problem is that the QLA is always cut dead center but the bore is not. If you happen to get one of those guns, they flat out won’t shoot conicals well. And there are a LOT that are not centered.

When the bore and the QLA don’t line up, the gas goes around the bullet more one way than the other when the bullet enters the QLA and throws off the bullet.

My brothers Omega shoots conicals fine. Mine wouldn’t. Again, don’t take my word for it, call T/C. They will absolutely not guarantee how conicals shoot. My gun shot no excuses with a 6” groups and sideways at 25 yards. And they wouldn’t give me a new barrel, so I had the QLA cut off. Fixed the problem.

That's interesting txhunter. Several yrs ago when I was buying a new muzzy for a Colorado hunt I almost bought a Omega. Glad I picked the Accura. I do use a felt wad between the powder and the conical.

I have never used hot loads. My elk load is 90-95 gr BH. Never shoot over 105 gr

Google: Thompson center QLA issues and you should find quite a bit of info.

The problem is that the QLA is always cut dead center but the bore is not. If you happen to get one of those guns, they flat out won’t shoot conicals well. And there are a LOT that are not centered.

When the bore and the QLA don’t line up, the gas goes around the bullet more one way than the other when the bullet enters the QLA and throws off the bullet.

My brothers Omega shoots conicals fine. Mine wouldn’t. Again, don’t take my word for it, call T/C. They will absolutely not guarantee how conicals shoot. My gun shot no excuses with a 6” groups and sideways at 25 yards. And they wouldn’t give me a new barrel, so I had the QLA cut off. Fixed the problem.

txhunter,

Did TC ever correct the QLA on the Omega later ones manufactured? If so do you know when? I bought one is 2008 or 2009 and hope mine is good. Seems to shoot fine.

My Omega shoots accurately enough at 300 yards (all in a sub 6" circle) with 84 grains of BH 209; and a 290 Barnes TEZ in calm. Mine doesn't shoot conicals well. I actually clicked it at 2032 fps average. The drop is close to calculated in the Nikon software. Energy is below 1000 ft-lbs. Drift in a 10 mph crosswind is 24'. Reading the wind wrong could easily turn a good hit into a gut shot Getting the range close is easier than estimating wind. You don't get a follow up shot if your guess is off. Everything would have to be ideal and seem right to take a poke at 300 on an animal to me.

Just for grins, I plugged in 1900 fps and the new 325 gr Powerbelt ELR published BC. Drift drop to 18" vs the 24" and energy goes up to 1250 ft-lbs from 960 ft-lbs while drop is close at 300. I don't know how they will shoot, but have a package coming with some other stuff.

Screenshot_20210515-040343.png

My Thompson has a custom 45 caliber barrel. Shoots a 300 grain Parker bullet sized to the barrel. Shooting blackhorn 209 . I didn’t make the shot but with this same setup. A buddy with his wife head shot a cow at 525 yards. It’s was a bedded cow and it’s on video.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom