Thor Bullets

grosventrehunter

Very Active Member
Can anyone tell me where I can find 300 gr. Thor bullets? Also, has anyone tried shooting these bullets in a Savage 10ML-2 muzzy? Last year, I shot the Power Belts in a CVA Accura on my Colorado hunt and was not impressed, nor have I had much luck on the range with them. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

thorbullets.com

They have 250 and 300 grain bulltes for .50 caliber.
Get a hold of them and ask for the sizing sample, fugure out which size is right for your barrel and then order the wieght you want to shoot.

Also you could try the "sabertooth" full caliber bullet from harvester muzzleloading.

Greysage, I have called and emailed them several times with no response back. I was wondering if their bullets were sold by another company/store. Have you shot the sabertooth? If so, how do they compare to Power Belts?

I got my thor pack about a month ago and believe that I know what to order just have not done it yet. They did seem to have some issues with being extrememly busy.

I have some sabertooth to test but again have not had opportunity to shoot in a while.

Hornady FPB is full size and they seem to have a decent rep for shooting and killing performance, have you tried them?

LAST EDITED ON May-29-12 AT 06:37PM (MST)[p]Instead of calling and trying to get a callback, just call and leave a message that you want him to send you a sizing sample, give your name and address, and you should have one in the mail within a week. They are free.

Then when I order, I just email him with an order and it arrives with an invoice that I mail him a check for. In other words, he sends you the bullets, and THEN you pay him. Old time business.

Thors are certainly the toughest full bore bullet out there, but FPBs are a good second choice. They are a lead alloy, so they hold together better than pure lead.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Greysage, I haven't tried the FPB's yet, but will give them a try. Txhunter, I will try that route and see what happens. Thanks, to the both of you.

I killed a cow elk during the 2010 season in Colorado. Used a 300 grain Thor pure copper bullet in my TC Encore .50 caliber. About a 100 yard shot and I aimed at the center of her shoulder. That is where the bullet hit and the cow was dead within within seconds. Used 90 grains of 777 and Remington ML primers teamed with the Thor. Never had the opportunity to fire a shot last season in Colorado but looking forward to the upcoming muzzle loader season come September in Colorado. I honestly believe that you will like the Thor bullets in the 300 grain weight. Cowtag

Shot a 6x6 Elk with a 300 grain Thor. He went about 5 steps and knuckled down. Sent another at close range as a finisher even though it was probably not needed.
Both shots went clean through the chest broadside.
I would definitely recommend them.

Reading about tthe Thor bullets got me excited to try some so I just ordered the sample pack. Can't wait to try them in my CVA Kodiak.

Recieved a call from Terry at Thor bullets yesterday. Great guy and very knowlegable about muzzle loader bullets/guns. He was also able to answer my questions about the Savage muzzle loader.

Sent Thor bullets an email on thursday, requsting a sample pack. I received the pack yesterday. I am excited to try them out. I'm testing the QT bullets from precision rifle and Hornady FPB bullets. Buddies using my CVA for his Pahvant elk hunt this year.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-12 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]I recieved my sample pack today. They were hollow point. Do they make a polymer tip ?

The bullets are 250 grain. Being a all copper bullet ,will these be enough for elk?

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-12
>AT 07:48?PM (MST)

>
>I recieved my sample pack today.
>They were hollow point. Do
>they make a polymer tip
>?
>
>The bullets are 250 grain. Being
>a all copper bullet ,will
>these be enough for elk?
>

Some times the samples come as hollow points, they were made for us Colorado hunters before CO got rid of the bullet length rule.

When you order just request the ballistic tip thors.

250gr is more than enough, they are solid copper so, nothing is coming apart. I will be using them on my bull elk this year with 100gr blackhorn209.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

Tested my Thor sample pack in my CVA mag bolt and it looks like the .501 is the best size in 250 grains. The Hornady FPB seems to load very smoothly as well. Now it's time to test fire them both with some Blackhorn 209.

So I tested out the Thor 250 grain and Hornady FPB 300 grain. They shoot very similar with pyrodex pellets. I had a problem with Blackhorn 209 powder misfiring and hang-firing.

It may very well be your breechplug, but I don't know since I don't shoot CVAs

I will tell you that you need good pressure on the bullet to make the BH 209 go off. Couple of times I have had a bullet that was too easy to push down the barrel and when I pull the trigger, no explosion, just a small "blooop" and the bullet pops out of the barrel and hits the ground 15 ft in front of the bench.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom