Those with expirence in Africa...cape buffalo

C

cohntr6

I have a friend heading to Africa for a Cape buffalo hunt in November. He will be shooting a .416 Remington. Who has expirence hunting 'black death"? What are the best loads for his .416 on this beast?
Another friend made a good point om handloads in this case...."why jeopardize your life on a possible dud handload when you can shoot a factory that you could put more trust in".
Sure the odds are both bullets will function just fine but do you really want to play with odds when hunting cape buffalo?

So... solids over expanding bullets, right?
Thanks, Jeff

Jeff;

I have not hunted Africa, but I have heard good on both type of rounds. Some say use only solids to bust the shoulders down, others say a good controlled expansion round is better. I would recommend that your friend talk to the PH he is going to use and ask him what type of rounds he should bring.

RELH

Check out accuratereloading they have a wealth of knowlege on african hunting both plains and buff, I just read a post the other day about charging buff, the owner of the site, Saeed, said that he's taken over a 100 buff and never had a charge, he shoots realoads in a wildcat with "home made" bullets much like a X bullet...

From what I understand about 75% of the buff taken in recent years are shot with well constructed "soft" points, i.e. A Frames, Barnes X, Failsafes, Partitions, Woodliegh, etc... But there are still some guys that will only shoot solids. One hole in one hole out, for a better blood trail, but the kill isn't quite as quick. I'm pretty sure a 400 grain soft point is going to break the fore shoulder... I woudn't worry about reloads and haveing a "dud", I've had duds with factory ammo... Your life really isn't going to be in that much danger. Very, very, few clients have ever been run into the ground and killed, for the most part the goreings that happen each year are on PH's and locals.

The chance of you actually being charged are about nil anyway, as from what I understand most every time the buff will run off after being shot. Sure there is a chance he could turn, but the odds of YOU actually having a cool head, and having proficency with your weapon to kill a charging buff at 25 yards while trying to sort him out in your scope (if you have one) is probably pretty slim. I mean no offence, but I really doubt that you've had enough practice to need to worry about that anyway. I shoot a lot and I know I couldn't come close to passing the test with a big bore, much less a 22... Do a quick serch on the proficency test that PH's have to pass and ask yourself if you think you could pass, and then go try it...

You're PH is there to sort things out if they happen to go wrong thats his job, not yours as a client, if it was, we wouldn't need them would we? He'll be packing the true "stopper" if one needs to be dropped. Personally if it was me and I was really worried about needing a stopper, I'd get a Lott or a 470 NE... and leave that little "pee shooter" at home... ;) :)

My guess is that if you ask your PH he'll tell you that you should worry about putting that first shot where it counts and let him worry about what happens next. Just ask him what he prefers you shoot in your gun, some like you to have a soft first shot and then solids in the mag, to pump into him as he runs off... More lead in the air is good...

I hope you have a great hunt and shoot a big ol duga. Where are you going and who are you going with?

What most recommend is a controlled expanding softpoint for the 1st shot then solids. Remember when solids became popular back in the 40's and 50's the high quaility controlled expanding soft points that are available (Swift A-frame, Barnes X, Trophy Bonded, Failsafe and others) didn't exist. They will shoot thru a broadside buff. A 400 gr. out of a 416 Mag is an excellent buff combo.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Thanks for the replies, I will pass them on to my buddy.
BS,
I am not sure so I will ask him who his outfitter/ph is and where exactly he is going. He has been to Africa once before for other game but this hunt is just for Cape buffalo. I am excited for him so I am just trying to help him out with stuff he talks to me about in preparation for the hunt. I wish I was going! Heck I'll be the videographer or something!
Jeff

I reloaded the 416 Rem for a fellow going to Africa. Took everything he shot with 400 X bullets including buff. But the hunter needs to clear with the PH. I had loaded some 350 brass barnes solids that had the same impact as the 400s at 100.

As to handloads being less reliable-BS. Though I was really careful. I got new brass, fireformed and FL sized it. Got new components and handled everything with latex gloves. The brass got really polished good, including just a tad of wax in the final tumble. Seat and check each primer. Verify visually each charge and seat and crimp each round. Then chambered and extracted each round.

He took along some A Frame bullets in factory and shot a few animals with them. They performed well, but not as good as the X did.

Best, Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-05 AT 10:59AM (MST)[p]300gr. Barnes Xfb, hand loads. .375 h&h ruger #1. I have faith in my handloads. One shot.

3760.jpg

Nice buff, Huck!
BS, ]
My friend is going to Tanzania and is hunting with a guy named Luke Sanaris (I dont know if that is the correct spelling of his last name-but it sounds like that). He said this guy has been there a while and was even born there. Oh and he is going in July not November. I think he is narrowing down his bullet selection to take.
Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom