Thoughts on Elk City A Tag

CA_Wapiti

Putting out some feelers out about the thoughts on elk density and quality of the Elk City A tag. Honestly just wanting to start some conversation about Unit 15 hunt quality. Obviously not asking for you guys to divulge your spots or anything of that nature.

Who has hunted the zone and specifically Unit 15 in the last year? How’d you feel about the number of hunters to number of elk? Did you pack-in and sleep on the mountain or base camp and hike in each day? Were predators an issue?

Just looking to get a little elk talk going during the “off-season”. All of these questions are from a nonresident perspective so try not to hate me too much.

i hunt it pretty regularly. lots of wolves, and cats. There are a few elk in the area. I usually kill a bull, not always a decent 6 point, those are pretty rare. Hunting pressure can be high in certain areas, and not real predictable.
I have done both, day hunting and pack in hunts. You better have a good plan for getting a bull out of the woods if you are packed in. It easy to get way back in some country that would prolly take a horse to get out in time. Its bigger country than most people think, but there are parts that have plenty of roads as well.
If you are willing to invest 2-3 years of hunting/scouting you should be able to figure out the unit and have a decent chance at some good hunting.

+1 on the wolves and cats, been hunting it for the last 12 years. Seems to me the wolves really did a number on it. But the last couple of years it seems I've noticed a few more elk, but by any means there's not a hell a lot of them pretty bleak....

We used to hunt years ago before the wolves got for whitetails and most years would see elk. Anyone know how the whitetails are doing? Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom