Thoughts on X2 this year

BRHunter

Sitting on 10 points. Last few years I've been holding out for X2. Sounds like it's been terrible the last few years.

I feel like this year could see some good antler growth but I also know this unit can be weather dependent.

What are your thoughts on X2 this year? What else would be on your radar with 10 points? I'm almost at the point to just keep holding out for a muzzle loader hunt or late season archery hunt.

I have read not many deer in x2 unless you know the sweet spots. You could draw x2 rifle and with 10 pts. No chance for late archery in the top units. You could draw early bow in a few units. X6a you can draw rifle, has alot of deer, not giants, and lots of bear.Tuff call. Goodluck.

Yes I should be able to draw it this year.

I just don't think I could commit enough time to make it worth it this year. I've got an idaho deer hunt in Oct., so vacation will be limited.

I know guys who hunted it in 2018 and 2019 and they did very well. The hunting report seemed pretty good. However, the last couple years just really seemed to go down hill. I've talked to both the big game biologist and local Game Warden and they said the same.

With such a good winter this year, I'm wondering if it will be better.

Any of the X zones should be better this year. 6a could be really good with the recent fires and the winter this year. Bass hill muzzy would be good.

X2 is a shadow of what it used to be. The main issue now is access. Collins timber has all of the great area locked up and has created a sanctuary over the past 5yrs. I'd hold out for x5b or one of the muzzy hunts..
I don't think people realize what an issue this has become. A large chunk of that unit is off limits now and it didn't take long for the game to figure it out.

X2 is living on its past reputation, with all that ground locked up it's not worth 1/3 of the points it demands now.

Sitting on 10 points. Last few years I've been holding out for X2. Sounds like it's been terrible the last few years.

I feel like this year could see some good antler growth but I also know this unit can be weather dependent.

What are your thoughts on X2 this year? What else would be on your radar with 10 points? I'm almost at the point to just keep holding out for a muzzle loader hunt or late season archery hunt.
I have same points...kind of like middle of nowhere. I wouldn't mind one getting one of the archery hunts.

I spent the last 8 or 9 days of the hunt in X-2 in 2021 with a buddy that drew. I suggested he apply and he drew with 9 or 10 pts. We had a bit of weather and pretty cold temps during the hunt and saw a bit of the migration of deer heading south from OR and the Collins Pine area. In all those days we were there and of all the deer we saw, we never saw anything bigger than a 12-inch wide forky! Only saw one small 4 pt killed that was in the back of a truck. It was disappointing and I felt bad that I recommended it to my buddy. Unless you have some solid info on a buck in a specific spot I'd apply some where else. I'm back up to 7 pts myself and deciding between a few good archery hunts like X5B in 4 or 5 years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom