Thoughts

nfh

Long Time Member

Some lady started a group called wy trap free after her dog died in snare. They want some styles of traps check every 24 hours. Trapper education and act as future partner for future regulations. Can read full article at powell tribune website

Last edited:
I don't know but maybe she should check on her dog every 24 hour too?
While I'm sure it was a tragic event for her, she shouldn't try to change the lifestyle of legal trappers but that's only coming from my limited perspective.
I don't trap but trappers are part of the sportsmen family so I don't like seeing that pushed out or altered to the ridiculous.
"trap free" kind of says it all to me. At least her agenda is transparent.

Zeke

Grew up in Az, father made his living tapping. When they put a trapping ban up to vote, some of the sportsman’s groups didn’t oppose the ban. Their thinking was there will be more game for us. These Anti hunting/trapping groups will always want more.

More regulation is bad, bad, bad for hunters and trappers. It's the anti's playbook. Take a method, tweek seasons, and then blammo---no more hunting.

Ask me, I'm from California and although I'm not a trapper, I could see it coming a mile away. As of late last year, bobcat hunting was taken from us, on top of the myriad of crap they have stopped and are trying to curtail or at out stop in the name of being humane and removing archaic or outdated methods of wildlife management.

I got a phone call on this issue from the GF about 2 weeks ago and had a great conversation with the biologist out of Jackson on this.

First off, I made sure that he realized that trapping is a great way to manage furbearers and predators. I have done a lot of trapping over the years, but just don't have the time to do it like I used to. While trapping in Montana I trapped every furbearer. including lynx, in the State that was legal at the time with the exception of wolverine.

What I talked about was the way that trapping challenges a person to become very familiar with the animals you're pursuing. You have to set a trap, to target a specific animal down to where they are going to either set their foot or walk through. Way more intimate knowledge of animal behavior, knowledge of furbearers and predators is required to be successful. You don't just slam a trap on the ground somewhere and call it trapping.

That said, I encouraged education rather than regulation on both sides.

For trappers, in particular new trappers, I think required trappers education is a must. We don't let hunters born past a certain date to hunt without hunters safety, I see no reason to not have the same requirement for trapping. Discuss proper trap placement, set backs, proper trap to use and where, etc. Focus on the need to use your head for something other than a hat rack when setting near high use areas, etc.

For pet owners/non trappers I also think they should be educated as well, perhaps even take the course at the same time. Educate them on how to release the traps if their dogs happen to get in one. Educate them on the how and where its more likely for trappers to have snares/traps set and to avoid those areas during trapping season. Trapping season dates, when its most likely to have increased trapping activity, etc. etc. In areas where they aren't sure, maybe recommend/require leashes.

This issue doesn't have to be an "Us" vs. "Them" situation and before we start asking for tons more regulation, I recommended focusing on working together on the education piece.

That was my recommendation as I don't want to see trapping become more regulated, but I also don't want to see people's pets getting killed either.

There is room for improvement and education on both sides of this issue, lets get together and make some positive change.

North fork hunter I’m just so damn proud you didn’t take a picture of the article in your paper and post it. #olddogsdolearnnewtricks

I think required trappers education is a must.

I would disagree with the "required". Being required limits youth recruitment by adding another obstacle. I have seen this implemented in east coast states (I know not wyoming) but it did impact trapper numbers.

Trapping really is an art though, I hope we never lose that tradition.

I would disagree with the "required". Being required limits youth recruitment by adding another obstacle. I have seen this implemented in east coast states (I know not wyoming) but it did impact trapper numbers.

Trapping really is an art though, I hope we never lose that tradition.

My opinion...if a couple day mandatory trapper education deal is so much of an obstacle to keep you from trapping...then you don't really want to trap in the first place.

I see it no differently with hunting.

I took an optional hunters safety course in Arizona just to gain a permanent preference point.

Definitely agree with you that trapping is an art and a great tradition that has its rightful place. I just think we need to evolve a bit in regard to the how, where, and when as there are just a lot more people spending time on public land year round.

My opinion...if a couple day mandatory trapper education deal is so much of an obstacle to keep you from trapping...then you don't really want to trap in the first place.

I see it no differently with hunting.

I took an optional hunters safety course in Arizona just to gain a permanent preference point.

Definitely agree with you that trapping is an art and a great tradition that has its rightful place. I just think we need to evolve a bit in regard to the how, where, and when as there are just a lot more people spending time on public land year round.

I need to do the Arizona course, I want that point, lol.

It isn't a obstacle for us since we hunt and trap, it is part of us. Now imagine you dont have a mentor or want to get started in trapping. They dont have the passion for it yet and spending a weekend in a boring class isn't going to instill that passion.

Required in WY and we set records for applicants every year, both R and NR. Not hurting recruitment here.

I know 2 people that I had to nag for over 5 years to take the damn course, once they could it online, they took it and now are hunting.

As mentioned earlier what I have seen on the east coast. I did read trapper licenses were up in Wyoming.

I need to do the Arizona course, I want that point, lol.

It isn't a obstacle for us since we hunt and trap, it is part of us. Now imagine you dont have a mentor or want to get started in trapping. They dont have the passion for it yet and spending a weekend in a boring class isn't going to instill that passion.

So, spending some time around instructors that are trappers themselves, in a mandatory trapper education course, is the worst place to find someone to help mentor and help you get into trapping when you don't know anything about it?

Uh...I'd be wanting to take that exact kind of course if I didn't know much about trapping and had nobody to learn from.

I doubt it would be boring to someone trying to learn...YMMV.

This next question is not meant to be confrontational and not sure how to ask it without it sounding so, so please take it with a grain a salt.

Do you think the education course will help make people safer and better trappers?

I am thinking about the guy wanting to set 1/2 dozen leg holds or a dozen coon cuffs.

I think an online course that explains the laws, regulations and included safety tips would accomplish the job. I still think any required in person course will impact younger trapper recruitment. But as you said YMMV.

Fair question and I'd be flat disappointed if the only thing that was brought up in hunters education was the hunting regulations. Same with trappers education.

I still remember things from hunters ed that I took in 1978.

I don't see the downside and I don't see the impact to recruitment...could be wrong though.

Fair question and I'd be flat disappointed if the only thing that was brought up in hunters education was the hunting regulations. Same with trappers education.

I still remember things from hunters ed that I took in 1978.

I don't see the downside and I don't see the impact to recruitment...could be wrong though.

Maybe I have had really bad instructors.

you deny what "they're" after Buzz....

Oh, not at all, I mean hunter education was clearly a way for "they" to end hunting...its worked very well so far.

Trapping wont be banned in Wyoming because of required trappers ed any faster than hunters education has worked to stopped hunting in Wyoming...fact.

You also realize that Wyoming passed an SJR, State Constitutional right for RESIDENTS to hunt, fish, and trap don't you?

California have one of those in their State Constitution?

Last edited:
I actually don't object to trapper education....I just don't want to gloss over the intentions of "them".

What leads you to believe that the intentions of "them" were "glossed over"?

If trappers see "them" as a threat, maybe "they" should show up to a commission meeting like "them" do...

Them trappers meetings are during archery elk season are they not ?
That's a great time to schedule them and get locals to attend, not.

Trappers education would be a great idea. Ive seen 220 and 330 conibears set on public land in bucket sets 100 yards from public access points that are frequented by bird and and coon dogs baited with chicken. Theres plenty of people that need a lesson in common sense when it comes to trapping cause those guys are the ones giving the rest a bad name

Foot holds are a little different those aren't gonna kill anyone's pet. But if you're gonna be stringing out snares and conibears you'd better have the sense to use em. Some dont

Them trappers meetings are during archery elk season are they not ?
That's a great time to schedule them and get locals to attend, not.

Didn't see a single trapper at the last commission meeting when this was discussed. Didn't see any trappers the other half dozen times this has been discussed at commission meetings prior to that.

I'm flat sick and tired of the excuses that hunters and trappers, who supposedly care so much about the sport, that they cant break free for a day to comment and get involved in a commission meeting.

Apparently it isn't much of a priority and curious why the faces never change much at the commission meetings. Same group of folks giving up their time, talent, and treasures while the vast, vast majority whine because they might miss a day of hunting or give up a vacation day to attend a meeting. Complacency has consequences.

I could go on a very nice hunting trip each year with the vacation days I spend advocating for wildlife and public lands. I think its important enough, that I don't see those days as a sacrifice.

Excuses don't change things.

Sorry Buzz but when you have a special tag they get emails not in person. Good for you to make the time but with work and hunting seasons set not by us we have to make decisions to try and fill tags.
Throw your stones at someone else.

Sorry Buzz but when you have a special tag they get emails not in person. Good for you to make the time but with work and hunting seasons set not by us we have to make decisions to try and fill tags.
There should be no important issues tackled during hunting season IMO. G&F has enough issues with the way they advertise meetings, including the joke of a website they have. I can remember just recently Buzz and I had to scour the website to find how to comment on the CWD management plan!

I have talked directly to those involved with G&F and they agree, but no change yet.

I was at the Jackson meeting a few days ago and there was good turnout from the trapping community. Fact is the antis want to ban trapping. There is little logic used in their arguements. It was amazing that by the end several of the non trappers were willing to learn more and seemed to feel more comfortable with trapping just by talking and learning about it. Education is the only way we can move forward.

I don't care what you do and don't apologize to me. Just don't whine when the trapping regulations change to something you don't like...just remember you weren't there.

However, I can tell you who is there at every single meeting where trapping is discussed...the group/gal wanting to change the regulations.

Emails are all fine and good, but being in person at commission meetings has a whole other impact.

I wonder how long the discussion about the one shot hunt would have lasted if mulecreek and I weren't there in person?

I'm betting closer to the "5-10 minutes" that was slated for it on the agenda...surely not the hour it ended up being discussed.

One lazy trappers fault, whose trapping an occupied foot trail?!
Or one dog owner whose to lazy to teach her dog to heal?
I kinda think the dog may have adhd and need adderall...? Right? Isn't that what the modern society has taught us? That's what some have put into there kids!!
Wait, are we talking about a dog?

More regulation is bad, bad, bad for hunters and trappers. It's the anti's playbook. Take a method, tweek seasons, and then blammo---no more hunting.

Ask me, I'm from California and although I'm not a trapper, I could see it coming a mile away. As of late last year, bobcat hunting was taken from us, on top of the myriad of crap they have stopped and are trying to curtail or at out stop in the name of being humane and removing archaic or outdated methods of wildlife management.
thank our Governor he's behind all of this crap. He thinks his way of thinking is the best just ask him the pompous ass

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom