Thousand Lake deer tag?

JT31

I drew out for the archery Thousand Lake deer tag and was wondering if anyone had any advice for that area. I know the area a little bit and know that the highest point is full of pines some aspens and very thick, on the outer southeast edges it transitions into desert type terrain, my question is wher is the best place to find a wall hanger buck?? any suggestions would be appreciated

What will you be hunting on? If you have horses your odds really increase. I've hunted or helped on 6 Deer hunts down there. It's beautiful country, but finding a true "Stud" is pretty difficult

Go down and scout it and if you don't see what you are looking for turn your tag back in and get your points back. Most years the deer hunt tag is only fair at best and with the wide open country on most of the unit it makes for a real tough archery hunt.

Thanks for your reply, I will be scouting 3 times before the hunt and plan on finding a cross path and positioning myself for a shot, my plan is to have at least 3 different spots possibly a tree stand, I already have an eye on some bucks down there but have alot more scouting to do, I know its going to difficult because its either way open or way thick area, plus there isnt a huge heard there, but what I do know is that are bucks there that are definitely trophy material, thanks again for your reply and if you have any suggestions or spots that you know of it would be appreciated, Im assuming you mentioned horses because your thinking it would be a good idea to go way back in?? ....JT31

I agree with this area being fair at best, I appreciate your reply and can tell you I have already done some scouting and have seen some decent bucks, Im going to stick with the hunt and hopefully find an area or two which will work for me, I am really surprised at the hunt rate success down there, considering the either open or thick terrain, and with the small deer heard, if you have looked into it the past couple of years its not to bad, again thanks for your reply and if you have any more suggestions please respond back....JT31

Have a friend who is going over there in a couple of weeks for three or four days hitting all fishing holes. If he sees anything big I will let you know.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom